I need help with an Exercise Block...

Options
Kamalalue
Kamalalue Posts: 87 Member
Good Morning -

I am having a real issue overcoming an exercise block. I know that I need to exercise, I have the time to exercise, but there is something mentally that keeps me from doing what I am supposed to.

Has anyone had this issue, or does anyone know how to get past the excuses and get to the place of acceptance?

I have struggled with this topic for so long, and I know that once I can put this issue to rest - I will be that much closer to achieving my goals.

Thanks for any help you can offer. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• lyndsiweise
    Options
    Do you have a soul-mate workout?! Something you just LOVE to do?!
  • Kamalalue
    Options
    Swimming. I love to swim. The problem is, I am having trouble finding a pool I can use.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Fit it in in sneaky ways, I enjoy gardening, so setting up the garden turning the soil etc all give me a workout before it's time to actually put anything in due to late frost dates here.
    Split firewood... get a truckload delivered, split it and stack it... maybe even bag it for "sale" for camping etc, much more enjoyable at $6 / bag than it was when I was doing it for piece-work at $0.30 per bag
    go geo-caching (I'm still looking into this one) but if my walks in the city "have a point" IE finding the little cache to log that I was there or just to know that I did it... I'm much more likely to go than to just go walk around the 'hood and see the same thing every time. (I drive different routes to get places just to change up scenery too)
    Find that pool... if you love to do it it's something you can do without feeling like its a workout.
    Clean vigorously, tackle ONE room... maybe get some baskets ahead of time that you set just outside that room and anything that doesn't belong in that room goes into a basket for the relevant room. I lose SO much time trying to clean / organize just by taking things to where they "belong" and then starting fiddling with things in that area instead of staying focused on the room I'm in
    Volunteer at something, neighbour needs a fence run? or a building put up? Pitch in if possible. I've got enough fencing to take care of on my own... franken-fences are what I have right now.. wooden poles... metal supports.... rabbit wire... snow fence... the old owners just grabbed whatever was available and plastered it on up... looks like heck :P
  • Kamalalue
    Options
    Pandorian -

These are all great ideas, thank you. I think that I am putting so much pressure on working out at a gym, or in a traditional way... You made a really good point that I can be working in our yard or on the house and still can be getting exercise.

I will definitely keep looking for a pool.

Katie
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Some of the best workouts you can do are the body weight exercises, pushups, crunches, pullups yada yada. I'm not able to do very many of these in my current shape but they do remove the "no time to get to the gym" excuse as you always have your body wherever you are at. It works for soldiers in that they do their personal fitness... no excuses of no equipment... they just get to do it.
  • silverpen193
    Options
    Because I am essentially housebound I use lots of games or dvds for exercise. I love active2 and just dance 2 on wii - dancing games are fun and really good cardio lol. I also have yogalates dvds and am hoping to buy more when I can. My boyfriend also bought me some dumbbells for valentines day - proper ones with 20 kilos of weights which came with a workout sheet, so I am enjoying adding those too. On the days - like today - where I really dont want to exercise, I try to keep moving around doing some housework or whatever and usually I end up feeling like doing something.
  • calgurl855
    Options
    Do you have netflix? They have some workouts up on there in their watch instantly section. Some of the moves are little difficult at this size but I do what I can. It's not fun but it will be fun when we loose the weight!!!
  • meri_dian
    meri_dian Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just found out there are a lot of exercise workouts on Youtube. When I did a search including "obese" they had quite a few targetted towards more sedentary people. My internet is very slow, however so I will have to set aside some time to download and save them on my computer. And - if you don't know how to do that there are prorgrams that will do it for you. I will try to remember to post a link later to download the one I use.
  • meri_dian
    meri_dian Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Also - make up playlists for your mp3 player specifically intended to get you moving. You can even do a search online for other people's workout playlists. Then you just need to match what you have in your music library to various lists.
  • mdawson2112
    mdawson2112 Posts: 26 Member
    Options