So...kind of long but educational (for me anyway lol)

Options
AleksD3
AleksD3 Posts: 194 Member
This week I was counting everything in MFP and then transferred to WW today (the start of my new week).

I started "fresh" on Tuesday and have done pretty well for the last 4 days (including today).

So today I went through and transferred everything to WW to see where I stand.

First thing I noticed is that I am fitting in more junk in MFP because I have the calories for it vs. what i would have done with WW to stay within the points.

For example, I haven't mentioned it on here but my husband was diagnosed with throat cancer a few weeks ago so we've been spending a lot of time driving back and forth to a good hospital (45 minutes each way) and eating at said hospital and along the way. Luckily it's only a stage 2 and his major surgery is this Tuesday to remove it all so that's good...but we've been stressed and picking up food where we can...but I digress.

Anyway, driving to the hospital yesterday I grabbed a small dunkaccino and an old fashioned donut from DD's for the drive because it's fast and easy and I was hungry. It fit in great with my calories but when I transferred it into WW I realized I never would have gotten it had I known how many points it would take.

It's kind of what happened Tuesday. I had 200 calories left over to hit 1200 and wasn't hungry but ended up with a handful of chocolate covered almonds just so that MFP wouldn't tell me that I was under eating.

Basically I eat healthier on WW. I also get in my GHG's when tracking in WW but only on one or two days when tracking on MFP no matter how hard I try to remember.

I've tried following all the WW rules while only tracking on MFP but I just can't make it work so I'm thinking of maybe only tracking on WW for a while but still posting here on MFP because I love the message boards here plus I have some good friends on here who aren't going to switch to WW.

And I'm getting really annoyed by tracking in 2 places.

Is anyone else finding any of this to be true? Thoughts? ideas?

Replies

• bethelcheryl
    bethelcheryl Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hi there. First of all I send well wishes for your husband's speedy recovery from surgery. It sure is hard to eat well during stressful times like that.

I joined WW in December and just found MFP a few weeks ago. It has been really annoying to log in 2 places but I can't decide which to give up. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. I like the support on MFP. But you are right. By solely focusing on calories, you are not necessarily encouraged to eat healthy,.
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    aleks....i am so sorry to hear about your husband. it sounds like it will have a great outcome.

i don't track both. i do WW cause i pay for it. every once in awhile i will put info into MFP to just see what it tells me. i too, eat more junk food on MFP, than WW. when i just want or need something i am more ap to grab a piece of fruit.
    maybe pack yourself a little lunch box full of snacks and quick meals. some crackers, a sandwich, some fruit, sugar free jello. you need to keep yourself healthy also. you will have a long road ahead of you. make sure you get in at least 15-30 mins of some sort of exercise. take the stairs at the hospital. walk the parking lot. just take care of yourself.
    you guys are in my prayers.

have a good weekend.
  • AleksD3
    Options
    Thank you! This has definitely been stressful, I wish I could just down a pint of Ben and Jerry's and not gain anything!

I'm definitely walking as much as possible around the hospital but still have to work on the food situation.

Chipper did you lose all your 57 pounds on WW? Either way awesome job!

I wish i could just pick on eprogram but when I'm doing MFP I feel like doing WW and when I'm doing WW I feel like doing MFP :laugh: but I don't want to keep doing both!!
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    aleks....no, i didn't lose it on WW. when the doctor said i was diabetic in 6/06. i went to a class the next day and began eating the way they taught you to eat. i counted carbs, exercised 30 mins most days. i lost just over 80#s. than doctor said to quit smoking. i gained back 30. lost it again plus a few more. DH lost his job, we lost our house and i gained 30#s again. settled into new life. once again the bottom fell out and this time i regained 40#s. so i have been on my road back down. my DD came by one night and said let's go to WW. so i went. i figure if i gotta pay i going in with both feet. i have lost 10#s in (i think) 6 weeks since joining. other wise i just did MFP. i like this site have been here for years. have my buddies here. so i just plug along at what ever is floating my boat at the time. i will stay with WW until i can't afford it anymore or i stop losing. i haven't cheat one day yet. i just feel it at the moment.
  • daphnegetnfit
    Options
    Prayers to you and your husband that all goes well.

Dunkin Donuts has healthy choices. Get an egg and wrap, you can even add ham or bacon. The egg is protein. Choosing a donut is not a healthy choice, has nothing to do with the calories or MFP. You need to make healthy choices whether you are counting calories, points or both.
  • bethelcheryl
    bethelcheryl Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    The Dunkin Donuts near me just added oatmeal to the menu. I wish they would add a fruit cup as well.
  • AleksD3
    Options
    Lol. I know. I rarely have any donuts these days.

I actually don't eat eggs (psychological aversion) but these days I;ve been on the lookout for healthier foods or just make something to eat at home if possible.
  • dreamjo
    dreamjo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hello! First of all, I wish you and your family the best in the road ahead. May your husband be blessed with a speedy recovery.

I used to track both as well and got so tired of it, especially when I was writing down my food diary and keeping it on here. I know pay for WW online only, so I track my food on there. I do not track all of my food on MFP, but I do figure out points for some foods by looking up nutritional value on here. MFP Has the biggest database out there, even bigger than WW.

While I love the ease of tracking my points on WW online and have had success with it so far, I do like the community and support on MFP MUCH MUCH better. The communities and boards on WW seem more complicated and I feel much more comfortable with the boards here.

Good luck and I think whatever you are most likely to do, stick with it. If you get tired of both, don't give up on both just stick the one you find easier :)
  • TLL09
    TLL09 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I do track on both sites because I like it, something to do if I'm bored. I do find that MFP has a much better food databank so if I can't find something on the WW site, I can come here and find the info needed to calculate points for WW.

I find that I can stay within my points or calories or both, but if I am not eating healthy foods I will not lose weight. So I work in as many unprocessed, whole foods as I can.

I hope all is well with your husband and that he has a speedy recovery!