If your not a gym member what exercise do you do?

Options
2»

Replies

• darrenlees
    darrenlees Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I cancelled my gym membership and bought an exercise bike and some small weights as that's all i used anyway.
    On top of that i play squash, badminton and i cycle when i can.
    I recently bought a slam man using the money that i had saved on gym membership, and its a really good workout!
  • PeeTeePee
    PeeTeePee Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I walk to and from work each workday (2 miles each way). At weekends I still walk, but usually around Tesco!

My wife has been using the Leslie Sansome Walk At Home videos which she really enjoys.

I guess walking is our main way of keeping fit!
  • Kirsty7Fraser
    Kirsty7Fraser Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have an exercise bike and some weights and some exercise dvd's. I usually go out walking a lot too but my dog has damaged the ligament in his knee so I feel a bit guilty going out without him.
  • traceyjayne64
    Options
    was going to start 'the shred' today but the day has not gone as planned :(
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Though I'm not a member of gym, i do pay fees to do Tae Kwon Do, which some would class in the same region as a gym fees. If you have a smart phone there are several free apps you can use to set up exercise programmes for yourself. Running is free and I'm pretty sure you can pick up fitness DVDs down your local charity shop for far cheaper than buying them new (it's what I did for the ones I have - Tae Bo, 30 Day Shred and a couple of Davina DVDs)
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I've been a runner for a good number of years. I love the cals it give me, and the fact that it costs so little, and the fresh air and lots and lots of other things. I also used to be a member of a heavily subsidised employers gym. But moving company saw the end fo cheap gym membership.

So for a while I was lifting weights 3 times a week and running 3 times a week. My weights set up was a cheap bench, barbell and dumbells in the grage. But, as I progressed I realised that the equipment and sensible safety precautions were holding me back (I mean how much can you safely suqat on your own without a rack?)

I needed to make a decision. To bite the bullet and pay for gym membership or invest in home equipment. I chose the latter and cleared out more space in the garage and bought a second hand power rack and olympic barbell set. It wasn't cheap but I knew that the cost would be less than 12 months gym membership and my commute to the garage is zero.

So. Power rack and weigths three times a week and running three times a week.
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new to this excersise suff, but no way I can afford gym membershgip - or the time to go there tbh. I run early in the morning, and have just started the 30DS DVD in the evening (only £5 from Amazon)
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I cycle, walk and do situps. I was doing gym but stopped. I generally cycle to work and back
    which is about 7 miles, I have started a new job and I am thinking of cycling there and back but
    that will be just over 10 miles, going to try on Tuesday , I might find it hard as I'm 22 stone and
    its a slight up hill all the way there, at least this job has showers
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'm walking a lot more, I bought the 30 day shred DVD and do it three times a week, and occasionally do a callanetics workout too. I also bought a heart rate monitor so I actually know how many calories I've burned when I exercise. I'm hoping to get into swimming more when I feel happier about myself in a swimsuit, lol