10k runners how much do you run

Options
Most training programs I see are for 1/2 marathon and marathon runners saying you need 20 base miles per week before you work on speed. But if you are a recreational runner that gets in 3 to 4 days a week that is not real doable. For those targeting 10k's how many miles do you log a week?

Replies

• tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I only run 4 days a week due to working 12 hour shifts on the other three. I run no less than 4 miles on those days but aim for 5-6. I am training for 1/2 marathon, but I have been running for 15 yrs so I have a solid base. How many miles do you run on the days you run?
  • josh0403
    josh0403 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon has a few 10K training programs on his site. The beginner one tops off at 3+2+5 = 10 miles a week. (The advanced level looks to be more like 25)
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'm still a fairly new runner and have only run one 10K, but... want to run a 1/2 marathon in January. I typically run 15-20 miles a week. I "try" to run every other day. My weekday runs are typically 4.5 - 6 miles, and my weekend runs right now are 5-8 miles. When I start on the formal training program, I'll try to follow that lead.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing Hal hidgon's bridge to 10k (from 5km). It has you running 3 days a week. Which for me is doable because I'm a single mum and my 'alone' time is limited.
    I too also want to run a 1/2 marathon (in october), but only if my training time allows for it. Because if it's going to take up too much time, then I wont do it.

But on a typical week I might run 15km (about 9miles).

HOwever I don't just run. On the days I don't run, I'm doing insanity, and the days i do run, I do kettleworx (for core building)
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    My Goal for march was to run 80km over the month, I've done 3 - 10k's this month and doing another tomorrow, the rest were short 2 - 5 k at a time runs.

I have no idea if that's a good plan to follow.. i just wanted to increase my fitness ability and cardio so i can run more easily in the actual race.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    depends on what you are doing...running or racing.

racing - you need more volume. I do mostly HM and M and do 50-60 miles a week...HOWEVER, i know a few people who train for 1 mile - 10k and those guys do 40-100 miles a week.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I've done a couple of 10Ks and am thinking about moving up to 10 miles and a half marathon.
    At the moment I run 4 times a week if I can: 1 5K easy run, 1 10K run, 1 5K parkrun, 1 longer run of 8-10 miles (want to get closer to 10 miles each time!).

Also I'm part of the X miles in a month group on here which is great for getting you to think about your mileage and work towards a goal. They're taking people for April now :tongue:
  • julieinomaha
    Options
    thank you for the feedback. The variation in your answers says it all. Running is such an individual thing which is super. I finished my 1st 10K in 57:35 so beat my goal with running 3 to 4 days a week at 11 to 15 miles per week and I didn't have any pain which is great. I am going to try and focus on getting some consistency in miles per week during the summer.