Someone please help.

Options
TiffanyW1014
TiffanyW1014 Posts: 614 Member
Ok let me make sure I have this correct. As long as my "green" number is less than 1,000 I am ok but I should try to eat anything back if I go over 1,000. Does that sound correct. Sorry but this is my first day and I am really hoping it works!!! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• TiffanyW1014
    Options
    Also is it ok to eat under your BMR as long as you still end up under 1,000 def?
    Example: Today I ate 1230 calories without a work out it says I still have 846 calories remaining.. Is it ok to not exercise and just stop for hte day? My BMR is 1676 and my maint should be 2090. I wanna hit the 2 pounds a week but I can't exercise right now.
  • davinci21
    davinci21 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    im interested to find out too, i started today
  • TiffanyW1014
    Options
    I'm thinking I am looking to much into this lol but that is me!! I also want to know if I should enter the calories burned from my pedometer since I have a desk job but I wear one and try to make myself walk more!! Stay tuned I hope someone answers!
  • annejuju
    annejuju Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I, personally, wouldn't count the pedometer. You need to be eating your BMR, here's an article that explains why: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing. There's a formula in the Olivia Method that states how many calories you can burn without eating them back so make sure to stick to that as well.

I must admit I just started this method as well, but after cutting my calories for over 9 months I started plateauing with 80 pounds left to loose. I'm hoping that by eating more and fueling my body (as well as making the gym more of a priority) I will finally start to see some changes.

Just a final note: Your BMR is what your body needs to survive if you were to lay in bed all day (so if you eat less you're not even fueling your body enough for a day expending zero energy all day). And depending on how much you have to lose it may not be possible to lose 2 pounds a week. Look for good, consistent loses.
  • TiffanyW1014
    Options
    I, personally, wouldn't count the pedometer. You need to be eating your BMR, here's an article that explains why: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing. There's a formula in the Olivia Method that states how many calories you can burn without eating them back so make sure to stick to that as well.

I must admit I just started this method as well, but after cutting my calories for over 9 months I started plateauing with 80 pounds left to loose. I'm hoping that by eating more and fueling my body (as well as making the gym more of a priority) I will finally start to see some changes.

Just a final note: Your BMR is what your body needs to survive if you were to lay in bed all day (so if you eat less you're not even fueling your body enough for a day expending zero energy all day). And depending on how much you have to lose it may not be possible to lose 2 pounds a week. Look for good, consistent loses.

Thank you for this I just find it really hard to get 1600+ calories in a day with or without a work out and do it healthy. I can still exercise for like 550+ calories but y not just eat 1000 (give or take) it will all equil out in the end right? I will be able to pick up my exercise next week so maybe I'll really kick it in gear then. Thanks again for your help!
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    There are two 'rules'. Try to eat at least your BMR, regardless of what the green number is. Have your daily deficit (green number) below 1000.

I find that if my deficit is 1000 for a few days in a row I feel run down. So if I have a high deficit one day, I aim for a lower one the next (closer to 500).

Example
    My BMR is "1,506" (according to MFP tools), I try for at least 1550 just to be safe.
    My maintenance for sedentry (so I log all additional activity) is 1880.

If I eat 1550 and don't exercise, I have deficit of 330.
    If I eat 1550 and exercise less than (BMR - (Maintenance calories - Maximum deficit)) = (1550-(1880-1000)) = 670, my deficit is less than 1000.
    If I exercise more than 670 calories, I need to eat until my deficit is less than 1000.

Both 'rules' are important for overall health and weight loss. (Overall health also need healthy food, not just the right calories..)
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    If you find it difficult to eat enough, start with small snacks, as you continue you may find your metabolism speeds up and you need to eat more often. That's what I found.

Also calorie dense foods are good, like avocado, peanut butter, nuts..
  • TiffanyW1014
    Options
    Thanks so much. I am also listed at sedentry so would you log the pedometer calories burned or just take that as a bonus and only log the machine/weight lifting calories burned? I can hit 400+ on some days with the pedometer but mostly its around 200 calories/day. I also don't have a HRM so I will be looking into one of those!
  • shapestocome
    shapestocome Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Personally I would only add your exercise calories in because your maintenance should account for some of the walking around even if you are set at sedentary.

I have mine set at sedentary and add my exercise calories and this number in mfp is usually very close to my bodymedia which shows me my TDEE for the day.