March NATIONAL NUTRITION MONTH!

Options
GouchisGirl
GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
What are YOU going to do to get your plate in shape this month?! It could go hand in hand with making your DIARY GREEN. Get to it! :)

It’s National Nutrition Month and while it may not be everybody’s favorite thing to celebrate, here at SHAPE, we’re pretty excited, especially because this year’s theme is “get your plate in shape.” National Nutrition Month was created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics to educate the public about healthy eating, by helping consumers make informed choices about the foods they consume, develop good eating habits, and of course get active.
Every week this month the NNM is focusing on one healthy change we can all make in our lives and the first change is to reduce salt intake. According to the Center for Disease Control nine out of 10 American’s eat more than the recommended daily allowance for sodium, which increases the risk of stroke and heart disease amongst other health concerns.

The best way to slash salt is to limit processed foods. But, if like me, you make most of your food at home there a few more things you can do to cut sodium there too. Buy fresh or frozen produce as opposed to canned, always rinse canned beans, and lay off the salt shaker. My favorite ways to slash sodium without missing it are to add fresh lemon or lime juice to recipes and salad dressings. These juices hit your taste buds in the same way salt does making them the perfect substitute. I also add garlic powder to almost everything, even if it already has fresh garlic in it. Other seasonings like chili powder, cumin, cayenne, and cardamom are great when a salty savory craving hits.

My favorite salt slayers though, are potassium-rich foods like potatoes (white and sweet), beans, bananas, salmon, raisins, avocado, almonds, and winter squash. Eating these foods actually offsets the negative affects of sodium.

Tell us in the comments below what you’ll be doing to slash sodium and tune in to find out more things you can do to improve your diet all month long. To learn more about National Nutrition Month visit eatright.org.

http://www.shape.com/blogs/fit-foodies/celebrate-national-nutrition-month

Replies

• theresabugx
    theresabugx Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    thanks angie, i didnt know that eating those certain things might help with water weight (i assume thats kinda what they meant)
  • MollyDukes
    MollyDukes Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Slash salt??? Lol...I need help getting my sodium up! :blushing:
    Thanks for sharing the article Angie. :heart:
  • GouchisGirl
    Options
    Slash salt??? Lol...I need help getting my sodium up! :blushing:
    Thanks for sharing the article Angie. :heart:

lol This time my intention wasn't even to point toward SODIUM lmao Ahhhhh I guess its just habit :wink:
  • GouchisGirl
    Options
    thanks angie, i didnt know that eating those certain things might help with water weight (i assume thats kinda what they meant)

Yep, I'm thinking that is what they are talking about. I've heard about the potatoes off setting sodium (that is if you don't load them up with sodium filled yumminess lol)