How has your season been so far?

Options
solpwr
solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
I was just counting up my progress.

I've skied at least weekly beginning Nov 19.

10 ski days as of week 2 January.
61 runs, 73,200 feet total vertical descent.
climbed the mountain 6 times, 8,500 vertical feet.

Skied at Blacktail, Red Lodge, and Whitefish, MT; and Purgatory, CO.

Good season so far for me.

Replies

• stephstar15
    Options
    My season sucks so far. We have had very little snow.
    My kids both compete in skiing as well, so my days this year at different resorts do not add up to very many runs because I am volunteering on the courses.
    I did however get a couple runs last weekend in Kimberley BC, where they just had a s dump of snow, and it was fun cut up powder that I skied with my slalom skis.

Good News! It is snowing right now....bring on the deep:)
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Bleh here (as you're probably aware, being a Rocky Mountain neighbor). But at least it is finally snowing again.

9 days on the slopes so far since opening weekend Nov. 12 (all at Solitude 'cuz, well, season passes ain't cheap -- ESPECIALLY at Solitude) ... mostly just one weekend day for the past several weeks. I couldn't make myself go up a few of those weekends, given the conditions. Losing friends to injuries left and right thanks to icy patches, and didn't want to join THAT crowd. ;P

Best snow conditions so far were opening weekend ... >_< Snow we're getting now is pretty dense and wet, loaded with moisture (for us), but anxiously waiting for Saturday in anticipation of a brand new world. :)

I believe there's a way for us ordinary, slightly less geeky folk to download our vertical feet data from our RFID'd passes from Solitude, but I'll have to look into it. Tired right now; just got back from the gym. ^_^
  • samuraidoctor
    samuraidoctor Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ha! You guys out west had it nothing like the east! It would snow and inch, then rain 2 inches It was so darned warm, they couldn't even make snow and keep it on the mountain. It's a bit better right now, but it's been a real slog for the ski areas.

So far, I've made it out 7 times. I had hoped to be a bit further by this point.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    we have made it out once and i need to make it out 9 more times to pay for my pass. the snow yesterday was fantastic (!) but the weather was wretched (10 degrees and constant 50-60 mile an hour winds). it was fun and miserable all at the same time. :)

by the way, i LOVE red lodge. i think there is a run called 'royal' that is one of my favorites anywhere.
  • dreambig_gohome
    dreambig_gohome Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've only been out 4 times, two of which were nearly washouts with very little snow because I live in the middle of the WORST possible topical weather and terrain state possible - Indiana. We've had no snow fall over 2 inches [despite snowing for 12 hours straight.....what?]. The two resorts I bounce back and forth between are 2 and 3 hours away, respectively. They make their own snow, but we've only had a couple days under freezing this winter, and much more rainfall than snow. Completely bizarre.

I was just out on this past Saturday and had the best snowboarding so far thanks to fresh powder, but mostly Ive been boarding on slush and ice which sucks. I have two trips planned in Feb and one beginning of March, but my budget is stretched extremely thin this season and I'm also battling [and ignoring] some injuries. Maybe next year I'll buy a once-a-week pass and make it out more.

But either way, every time has absolutely been WORTH it, and I've put together a crew of people who travel to come shred with me, and basically wiggled my way into getting a private lesson for the price of a group thanks to my persuasive skills and shred skills [I was too advanced for the group class], so I'd say that was an accomplishment.

Good to know other people are having crappy snow seasons too.
  • samuraidoctor
    samuraidoctor Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've been skiing Sunday River, ME, 4 days straight now. It was sub-zero one day, and today it's in the 40's (!). Amazingly for this year, there is still natural snow in the hills. It's going to freeze up early this evening again, and then be cold. I am praying for excellent grooming, but I expect ice the next couple of days. Sigh. It's now been 9 skiing days this year.
  • solpwr
    Options
    I've got 14 ski days as of this weekend. I still haven't missed a weekend yet.
    Had a few great days. Climbed the mountains more to stay in shape.

I'm prepping for last weekend of February, where me and a buddy are headed in to Jewel Basin Montana for 3 days. We are camping on the ridge top, and skiing the backcountry. Conditions are good I'm hoping for some snow, and decent weather. Not too warm, not too cold.
  • dreambig_gohome
    Options
    Day 7 and 8 - I AM SO STOKED! Two perfect days of stoked snowboarding. I made TONS of progression. The mountain was amazing...I went from barely completing a green dot course on a 300 vert feet to regularly perfect runs on a 485 vert feet....I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but to a beginner that's huge. I even took my first jib on a box...and did a perfect boardslide TWICE. I originally convinced myself that I would need a lesson to really even attempt it, but I didn't want to go home not even trying. I just made up my mind to do it, since jibbing and hitting rails and boxes and jumps is ultimately what I want to do with my snowboarding....so to have a perfect season cap like that made ALL of this so worth it. I shredded SO hard for two days straight. I put so much work into it, but got that much more progression our of my riding. I wanted it bad, and I accomplished what I set out to do.

I am SO stoked about that. Perfect way to end my season. Time to finally rest, recover, heal and get ready for my June 5K...Back in the gym when the swelling goes down in my hip......
  • solpwr
    Options
    Day 7 and 8 - I AM SO STOKED! Two perfect days of stoked snowboarding. I made TONS of progression. The mountain was amazing...I went from barely completing a green dot course on a 300 vert feet to regularly perfect runs on a 485 vert feet....I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but to a beginner that's huge. I even took my first jib on a box...and did a perfect boardslide TWICE. I originally convinced myself that I would need a lesson to really even attempt it, but I didn't want to go home not even trying. I just made up my mind to do it, since jibbing and hitting rails and boxes and jumps is ultimately what I want to do with my snowboarding....so to have a perfect season cap like that made ALL of this so worth it. I shredded SO hard for two days straight. I put so much work into it, but got that much more progression our of my riding. I wanted it bad, and I accomplished what I set out to do.

I am SO stoked about that. Perfect way to end my season. Time to finally rest, recover, heal and get ready for my June 5K...Back in the gym when the swelling goes down in my hip......

That's awesome! Work on the box. Learn to butter. It will help your feel.
  • solpwr
    Options
    And my day count is 20 now. I wanted to hit 30 but spring feels like it is coming on strong so I don't know. And I'm headed to DR in mid April. I had some backcountry days too. I've climbed 20,000 feet this year.
  • dreambig_gohome
    Options
    BAH. Stuck at 8 days total this season. I'm so grateful, of course, for those 8, all things considered in the Midwest. I had Day 9 planned but both of my home resorts are closed for the season....At least my season cap trip to Michigan was an outstanding success. Now what to do for ten months until it snows again..................Cherish the snow while you have it!
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    .. um it is over :sad:

but I skied 40 days this season :bigsmile:

... plan on making it more next season.

Skiied this season:
    Shawnee Peak ME
    Sugarloaf ME
    Sunday River ME
    Loon Mountain NH