What % of my bodyweight should I be aiming to lift?

Options
Monkee_Magic
Monkee_Magic Posts: 32 Member
Hi guys,

I am trying to set some goals for my weights sessions and was wondering if anyone knows what sort of percentages of body weight I should be aiming to lift as a starter to aim for?

I am overweight but I am aiming to be around 194lb (currently 232) so I think that should be a good weight to work % off.

Has anyone found a site you could put in your weight and it pops out with all the squat/dealift/bench press ect weights?

Thanks

Martin

Replies

• FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Its not about a percentage of bodyweight, its about how many you can do with good form. Learn form before you start thinking of numbers
  • MizAngie
    MizAngie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Exactly, good form is the first thing to learn. Are you working out at home or the gym?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Start with an empty bar to get form down. An olympic bar is 45lbs naked.

Then, slowly work your way up. Don't add a bunch of weight every week.

Check out Starting Strength by Rippetoe. Some excellent notes on form and increasing workload.
  • Monkee_Magic
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I am working out at the gym and use the olympic bars. I do aim for good form and my weight level shows it, I am not pushing 'massive' iron, I am ok with that. I am trying to generate cycles of progression so that I have an aiming point, obviously not at the detriment of form, just wondered if there was some kind of formula etc to work out what weights I could lift to give me a target to aim for in the long term.

I have been following the BRAWN guidelines, though would like to see if there were any other methods to identify capacity.

I'll try and see if I can get hold of the Starting Strength by Rippetoe from the library, as it is a pricy tome, though the reviews look pretty good.

Thanks

Martin.
  • Monkee_Magic
    Options
    Got Starting Strength by Rippetoe on the kindle for a fraction of the paper cost. I'll have a look at that and see how I get on.

Thanks

Martin:smile:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    once form is right

Beginner level is
    bench 225
    squat 300
    DL 400

:smile:

Obviously, the lighter you are the harder those numbers will be.
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Got Starting Strength by Rippetoe on the kindle for a fraction of the paper cost. I'll have a look at that and see how I get on.

Thanks

Martin:smile:

Good choice!
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    once form is right

Beginner level is
    bench 225
    squat 300
    DL 400

those are hardly beginner level numbers. i'd guess 75% of the guys at your avg gym couldn't deadlift 400 lbs or squat 300 lbs with proper form.
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    http://www.strstd.com/

1. plug in your info
    2. see how weak you actually are
    3. eat more and lift heavier
    4. ?????
    5. profit
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    once form is right

Beginner level is
    bench 225
    squat 300
    DL 400

I wouldn't say they are beginners numbers, achievable (for a guy) but not beginner.

I've heard 1x bodyweight bench, 1.5xBW squat and 2x BW deadlift are good goals to have if you want to go by % of bodyweight. I wouldn't say they're beginner either but it seems to be the level that a lot of guys strive for as a good level (which will be roughly the same as above if you're 200lb)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    That is the level at which you are an intermediate sorry.

This is from a well respected powerlifting coach in Australia. (PTC Frankston)
    http://ausbb.com/strength-training-power-lifting/9460-beginners-program.html

And yes, lots of people at gym's all over the world will not reach those numbers. Mainly because of the old F*ckarounditus. Train hard & consistently & don't waste time on fluff exercises. Proper nutrition & rest & there is no reason why any male couldn't eventually hit those numbers. e.g. Markos's son Max was 16 & 60kg. Is now 19 & 82kg and squats 190, benches 140 & deadlifts 220.
  • Monkee_Magic
    Options
    Thank you for all the input.

Addisondiseas:

http://www.strstd.com/

1. plug in your info - done
    2. see how weak you actually are - quite frankly weaker than I thought
    3. eat more and lift heavier - eating more protein to build lean muscle, though needing to burn off the fat (and lots of it!)
    4. ????? - working hard at it
    5. profit - already feeling some gains, not necessarily size but firming up, legs and strangely shoulders seem to have grown a bit, but still sort of messing around with the program at the moment to see what fits.

chrisdavey:

I think those numbers are achievable, the squat I think is the easiest for me as my upper body as not as strong as my core and legs, but it is all good.

Just to clarify I am not expecting to be lifting these targets off a 4 week plan, I am looking to some nice steady progression that I can cycle through, but with an eye to hitting some targets in order to try and push and motivate myself. Obviously with any program there is a little bit of testing and adjusting along the way.

Thank you to you all, I appreciate all the advice given. Here's to some quality lifting.:happy:

Martin
  • delmc1
    delmc1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    FORM FORM FORM,ONCE YOU HAVE THAT DOWN THE WEIGHT WILL COME .
    TRY TO FINISH EACH SESSION 5KG/10LB HEAVIER THAN YOUR LAST ONE .WHEN THAT GETS TO MUCH DROP TO 2KG/5LB ,
    DONT RUSH TO LIFT BIG ,AN INJURY COULD PUT YOU BACK WEEKS
  • wellbert
    Options
    How's your progress after a month?
  • Monkee_Magic
    Options
    After messing about a little with what weight I should start with, I'm now 5 weeks through my (was twice weekly but is now every 4-5days) weight training, split squats one workout, deadlift the next. I do intervals and recovery runs in between as well as a bit of cycling here and there.

Started off with Squat: 2 sets wu, then 3 sets of 10, 50kg
    Deadlift: 2 sets wu, then 3 of 8, 50kg
    Bench Press: 2 sets wu, then 3 of 10, 50kg

now

Squat: 2 sets wu, then 3 sets of 12, 55kg
    Deadlift: 2 sets wu, then 3 of 12, 57.5kg
    Bench Press: 2 sets wu, then 3 of 12, 50kg

I've now settled into the rythmn of this routine and have another 8 weeks to go with it. I am aiming to start increasing a little bit every other time. I initially struggled a little having to split the reps to achieve the set, whereas now I am happy completing the sets. I probably should have gone down a bit more on the weight to start, but maybe pride got the better of me.

I have also been working hard at getting the form right and speed of movement, a nice pace but under control, so although the gains don't look that good the work rate has increased due to greater emphasis on form.

I have been enjoying the work and feel pretty good after, I do get a bit of forearm pump on the deadlifts though! The book Starting Strength by Mark Ripptoe has been a very good read and has been helping with correcting my form so I get the most out of the exercise. I would recommend that book for anyone considering working the barbell.

No where near the figures for my bodyweight, but I am happy with the 12 reps at the moment. I am thinking of adpoting lower reps after this routine ends and see how that goes.
  • Monkee_Magic
    Options
    Just though I'd update. Been working though SL5x5 from starting at light weights and now starting to feel hard, but still ok just requires full effort and concentration now.

I weigh 100kg

Squat: 85kg
    Bench: 60kg
    Row: 60kg
    Press: 45kg
    DL: 90kg

All progressing well and feeling good with it too. I am just at the level where it is starting to take its toll, last Fri had a bit too hard a session in the heat and felt like I wouldn't get anywhere on the fri. Couple days rest back in today and feeling strong like next sessions will be fine, though I think the press is getting very close to its limit.
  • wellbert
    Options
    Nice progress.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Nice work mate!

You talking about the over head press yeah? This one is hard to increase on, I've been stuck at 52.5kg for a while now I'm 85kg and do 8x3 sets. I really notice even just adding 1kg/2.2lbs to this lift. You will get there though, keep plugging away at it.

Those other numbers will jump up too don't you worry after being stuck at 71kg and then 75kg Bench for a long time I've now jumped up to completing 85kg in a way shorter time than I did 70kg to 75kg

Get at it! :)
  • slimlifter
    slimlifter Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Its not about a percentage of bodyweight, its about how many you can do with good form. Learn form before you start thinking of numbers

This.

OP, have you looked at 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler? If not, I highly recommend it.