diet

Options
Labriska
Labriska Posts: 34 Member
What is the ideal diet to assist weight loss with PCOS ?

Replies

• alliekat893
    Options
    i have insulin resistance and the best thing for me so far has been a diabetic type diet. Low carbs, low sugar. I aim for less than 15g of sugar a day, and less than 140 carbs a day but I'm still struggling to get that low... usually winds up more like 20 and 200!
  • annatin1018
    Options
    I usually stick to 100-150 carbs a day and around 13-1500 cals a day. PCOS sucks....I'm not losing as fast as I should be and I'm working out like crazy...Metformin may help, Labriska. I'm going to get some next week, I hear it can do miraculous things.....:flowerforyou:
  • jhann16
    jhann16 Posts: 62
    Options
    I could not lose a thing until I cut out all sugar (except that naturally occurring in veggies) and limited my fruits to one serving a day. I also keep my Carbs at 80 - 100. Now I know some people will say that is too low, but it works for me. I feel great and am loosing weight at a good pace. I have not added excercise yet and lost 10 lbs in the first 10 days of eating like this. My weight loss slowed to about 3 lbs per week after that. And my diet is doctor prescribed. I will add exercise when doctor tells me to.
  • mattie733
    mattie733 Posts: 27
    Options
    I could not lose a thing until I cut out all sugar (except that naturally occurring in veggies) and limited my fruits to one serving a day. I also keep my Carbs at 80 - 100. Now I know some people will say that is too low, but it works for me. I feel great and am loosing weight at a good pace. I have not added excercise yet and lost 10 lbs in the first 10 days of eating like this. My weight loss slowed to about 3 lbs per week after that. And my diet is doctor prescribed. I will add exercise when doctor tells me to.

wow!! what do you eat than?! Do you have to take a lot of supplements? What kind of diet is it; I would be interested in looking into it.
  • jhann16
    jhann16 Posts: 62
    Options
    I get asked this a lot :)

I eat lots and lots of veggies, fish, chicken, lean beef, nuts, cheese, strawberries, greek yogurt, extra virgin olive oil, cinnamon, other spices. My plate generally is 75% steamed veggies. I do add grains in occasionally (about twice a week) when I'm not on a yeast flush...which I'm on one now.

Basically if it doesn't grow I don't eat it ;0)

The veggies I like best are butternut squash, zucchini, tomatoes, green onion, carrots, bell peppers (red are the best), radishes, red and romaine lettuce, spaghetti squash, snap beans, and eggplant.

As for supplements I take D3 and B12, and a probiotic. That's it!
  • atrjohnson
    atrjohnson Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    jhann16,

Could you give me a run down of what you eat on a daily basis? Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. I struggle with what to eat when. Thanks.
  • ged630
    ged630 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I just try to stay low carb and sugar, but I do not actually have a set number of carbs or sugar that I stay under. I just try to stay low. With all that being said, what I am currently doing is working for me and I feel great.

Also I think why this is working for me is because I do not really like bread or potatoes or pasta so it's not very hard for me to stay away from them. I had been doing everything right but nothing worked for me until I cut my carbs.

I also tend to eat a lot of the same food day after day and that also doesn’t bother me. I am away from the home 12+ hours a day so I also go towards a lot of fast and easy stuff.

Typically breakfast is eggs for me. Either Egg beaters or whole eggs depending on what I have on hand. I am not much for veggies either so spinich and mushroom are about my only add ons or some low fat/fat free cheese. I stay away from oatmeal, cereal, toast, and fresh fruit. (for now anyway) A friend of mine had a work lunch with a dietician and she was told the sugars from fresh fruit is okay. I am not willing to add it back in just yet but do plan to in the future (perhaps after talking to dietician).

Lunch is typically some sort of lean meat. Grilled Chicken breast, Salmon burger (from Schwans), fish (gormans microwave stuff), ect. On Sundays I make a Jello salad that I typically bring with me daily for lunch. It is around 140 calories and 17 carbs. It is super easy and I love it. Sometimes I add a veggie. I have listed my typical choices below.

Supper is normally some sort of lean meat again more homemake stuff than lunch but typically chicken or 93% beef and a veggie or salad.
    At least once a week we have tacos which I just have a salad with maybe 4-7 chips. My family loves Hungry Girl Cobby Cordan Bleu Chicken. Or the Hellman’s Parmesan Crusted Chicken. Or Meatloaf Muffins. ( This one runs about 107 calories per muffin with 12 carbs)

Veggie choices: Green Beans, Sugar snap peas, carrots, cauliflower, or broccoli. All fresh or steamed. Even some of the Green Giant ones with sauce are okay too.
    Snack Choices: Cocoa Almonds or low fat cottage cheese or string cheese.
  • atrjohnson
    Options
    Thank you. That helps me feel better. I thought I had to count every carb.
  • ged630
    Options
    Not saying this will work for everyone but it has been working for me.
  • sweetsue70443
    sweetsue70443 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info JHANN16 & GED630!! I too have PCO & have struggled with diet & infertility for the past 5 years. I am now struggling to lose the last 13 lbs from my last pregnancy and nothing is helping. As of this past Monday I have decided to stick to a low carb, which I have seen results in the past and more exercise. I am DETERMINED!!
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Not that I am a shining example or anything...but I lost 60 pounds in 6 months following a low carb diet. I have PCOS and have done every diet under the sun, even Atkins and South Beach, but not until doing low carb AND counting my calories have I been able to lose. Now I have hit a plateau so I haven't lost this month but I have increased my calories since I had them low at 1,200 a day. I'm hoping this will increase my metabolism and I'm trying to get some more exercise in. But my diary is public if anyone would like to take a peek. :-) Also feel free to add me as a friend if you like.
  • brandy2076
    brandy2076 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Is it different if you aren't on metformin and don't have problems with insulin?

I have suffered very long periods but have never had any problems with cramps, mood swings or excess facial hair. I have been like this since at least I was about 17. I was perscribed a bcp then but it had a bad effect, scared the crap out of me and I decided not to address it again.

Now I am 29 and I had a problem recently where I had lost so much blood that I had passed out and had to get a blood transfusion. They gave me a shot of Depo-Provera (to try to stop the bleeding and blood loss). It didn't stop anything and I had to go through the same ordeal and it was so bad that I was admitted to the hospital. It turned out I had a large cyst on my right ovary and in the process of finding that they found an even larger (10cmx10cm) cyst on my adrenal gland.

This answered a lot of questions I have had about being tired constantly (adrenal gland issue/low blood count).

My new gyno diagnosed me with PCOS, but now we are waiting for the Depo to wear off before moving forward.

Since I'm mostly non-symptomatic (other than the cysts) and don't have the insulin problems, should I still do the low gi stuff? Or maybe start cutting them slowly to see if that works?

Thanks in advance!
  • ged630
    Options
    Brandy2076....I sure wish I had the answers for you but I don't. I hope you have a good obgyn that can help you. I haven't had my blood sugar or anything tested to verify if I am insulin resistance or not. I went to low Carb/sugar and it has worked great for me. I ate crappy on saturday Ugh carbs and sugar and have been paying since with killer headaches extreme fatigue ect. I but I don't eat like that again anytime soon. Ugh!!!
  • atrjohnson
    Options
    Ladies,

I am struggling today. I am cravings sweets, carbs, bread, anything that I don't need to have. This is week three for me and I am not on an extremely low carb diet just trying to get it under 150 grams per day(my Dr wants 80-85 per day). I am going to the Dr on Thursday but I am struggling right now. How do you all make it through these moments? How do you stay motivated?
  • mattie733
    mattie733 Posts: 27
    Options
    Ladies,

I am struggling today. I am cravings sweets, carbs, bread, anything that I don't need to have. This is week three for me and I am not on an extremely low carb diet just trying to get it under 150 grams per day(my Dr wants 80-85 per day). I am going to the Dr on Thursday but I am struggling right now. How do you all make it through these moments? How do you stay motivated?

Those are the worst days. I feel your pain but the only way I know is to have a taste of what you want because if you don't you will want it that much more. A little bit of something is better than bingeing (sp) on the food.
    Otherwise try a walk or try distracting yourself to you feel the craving is over.
  • atrjohnson
    Options
    I made it through that day but when I got back from the Dr. I fell upon a doughnut. More like they did not come to pick them up from the room next to me and after an hour I lost it and ate 1 and 1/2 doughnut. The funny thing is my husband said "There were a dozen donuts and you ate 1 and 1/2, that's a small amount compared to what you would have gotten if you had gone to Krispy Kreme yourself." And he is right. I would have gotten something chocolate covered and creme filled not a regular glaze doughnut. It actually made me fill a better.