Bright coloured hair dye

Options
I'm always dyeing my hair bright colours - people say my hair is never the same twice but I think they just see the bright colour and then the faded version to be honest :tongue:

I was just wondering what brand of hair dye you guys prefer using? So far my favourite is Special Effects overall but I find it very much depends on the colour - recently I've been using the neon Stargazer stuff and it's pretty damn good actually whereas other Stargazer colours just don't seem to work as well for me.

Anyway - indulge me :wink:

Replies

• cadaverotica
    Options
    I hear that a lot, too! Although, thinking back, I have dramatically changed my hair colour about 8 times in the past few months so... :x

Anyway! I always always use Directions now. I've tried a lot of others but I find Directions gets the most vibrant colour and stays for the longest (it's also the cheapest if you buy through Amazon, woo!)
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I'm rather a fan of Directions. It's not the best lasting on damaged hair but they have a huge range of colours and mix really easily.

I tried a colour from a brand called Crazy Colour. It's stayed but the product stains horribly. It's stained my face from just washing it off.
  • kelceyjean12011
    kelceyjean12011 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    when i did color my hair crazy it was always manic panic..and to keep the color fresh, i always mixed a little dye in with my shampoo....i miss having pink hair waah :(
  • TwoSpirits
    TwoSpirits Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was using brands from Sally's...but they all wash out so quickly I stopped doing it. Maybe its because my hair has been chemically treated for so many years that there is nothing left to hold on to...idk.
  • Vi0l33t
    Vi0l33t Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm still a huge fan of Manic Panic and I think I always will be.
  • Tadeudz
    Tadeudz Posts: 16
    Options
    directions always! ive been using it for 20 years and it's cheap but good quality and it does what it says on the pot lol:bigsmile:
  • midnight_moon
    Options
    I tried Directions about 5-6 years ago and didnt think it was very good, my sister swears by it now so I may give it another try. I use Fudge mainly as I find it lasts well. Will definately give Directions another go though!
  • AlyssaDarby13
    AlyssaDarby13 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I just dyed mine with Splat, because it was a spur of the moment thing, and they sell it at Walmart. What a mistake. Every time I work out I drip pink EVERYWHERE. Do other dyes not do this? It rained yesterday and I had to quickly wipe my hair with paper towels so I wouldn't get pink all over the inside of the car.
  • ifeelsqueaky
    ifeelsqueaky Posts: 193
    Options
    Lol my hairdye has never done that! I've recently started using Manic Panic again and although it doesn't last it is some of the most vibrant colour I have ever experienced. I think I've just started accepting that I'm always going to need to dye my hair once a week...
  • jennytree
    jennytree Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I love SFX stuff, but it's too hard to get over this side of the Atlantic. I use Crazy Colour mostly now, as I find Stargazer/Directions etc to be pretty much useless.

Do you guys order online... ?
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Special Effects hands down is the best IMO.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options
    I love SFX stuff, but it's too hard to get over this side of the Atlantic. I use Crazy Colour mostly now, as I find Stargazer/Directions etc to be pretty much useless.

Do you guys order online... ?

I order online.

I like Crazy Colour but it stains like Crazy (lol). It might last a little longer but it's not worth the hassle of trying to get it off the grouting. So I stick with Directions because it has the added advantage of letting me change my colour often.

Also if you're having to redye your hair every week, invest in dry shampoo to extend between washes. It'll cost you less for dye.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Crazy Colour for me, I find the pinks and reds stain though. It rubs off on my clothes and everything. :/

I tried Directions once, blue, but after pre lightening beforehand it turned green, had to get a colour correction at the hair salon. So I haven't tried it after that. :)
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options
    Crazy Colour for me, I find the pinks and reds stain though. It rubs off on my clothes and everything. :/

I tried Directions once, blue, but after pre lightening beforehand it turned green, had to get a colour correction at the hair salon. So I haven't tried it after that. :)

If there was any yellow in your hair when you used the blue that's why. Your hair needs to be white before using blue.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options

If there was any yellow in your hair when you used the blue that's why. Your hair needs to be white before using blue.

It was white, it was a weird one, I'm a hair stylist so me and my collegues were a bit baffled by what happened. They suggested it was lacking pigment, so I tried a pigment spray before going blue again (a while after, I'd gone platinum again) and it worked. I used a crazy colour that time though so I can't really make a fair comparison. :/ lol
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options

It was white, it was a weird one, I'm a hair stylist so me and my collegues were a bit baffled by what happened. They suggested it was lacking pigment, so I tried a pigment spray before going blue again (a while after, I'd gone platinum again) and it worked. I used a crazy colour that time though so I can't really make a fair comparison. :/ lol

That's really weird, because I use blue from them on a fairly regular basis and it's always been fine.
    Old/bad pot possibly.
  • jennytree
    jennytree Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Also if you're having to redye your hair every week, invest in dry shampoo to extend between washes. It'll cost you less for dye.

Dry shampoo FTW! I feel a little horrible especially after a serious amount of exercise if I don't wash my hair though. Sometimes I don't go near it, sometimes I just rinse it out with water on it's own. But I'm lucky in that I have the time to dye my hair every few weeks anywho, so it doesn't bother me as much.
  • maerieanne
    maerieanne Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i used to dye my hair in all kinds of colors too, i dont do it anymore because of my work but i used manic panic which didn't last as much as i'd like and kuul (i think this one its sold only in mexico)
  • Hmwarren84
    Hmwarren84 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just tried Ion Color Brilliance in Magenta. I had prelightened my hair as recommended and it turned to a highlighter pink color instead. I have tried many other brands before this and I will probably go back to one of those brands the next time I dye my hair. The color is also bleeding out at every wash and is fading faster than any other brand I used (even the super cheap kind).
  • RAWBMEOW
    RAWBMEOW Posts: 64
    Options
    special effects is the best i think