Is anyone out there?

Options
ashhills
ashhills Posts: 64 Member
I just found this group (and found a love of trail running!), but it seems to be a ghost town. Is anyone here?

Replies

• trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    A few ghosts knocking around :smile:

Today's random question to self: which trail surface is the worst? Sand, snow, mud, fluffy-dust, boulder fields, root mazes, poison ivy forests, pavement...

This week I have decided that mud--the kind that sticks to your shoes and creates a 4" lift--is the worst. Close behind is pavement!

Welcome!
  • ashhills
    Options
    Yay! There is someone here!!
  • trlrnrgrl
    trlrnrgrl Posts: 80
    Options
    Well, we don't have much snow 'round here. But mud. Yes, mud. Hate running in mud. The way it sticks to the bottoms of your shoes, so each foot weighs 10 lbs.

Welcome ashhills! What kinds of trails do you usually run on? Any races coming up?
  • ashhills
    Options
    I am still pretty new to running in general. I just started running in the nature park near my house and I loved it! It is so much more fun than running on the street.

I am about to sign up for a mud run in June. I have a lot of work to do before I get there, though! Yikes. Any tips?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm here.
  • trlrnrgrl
    trlrnrgrl Posts: 80
    Options
    I am still pretty new to running in general. I just started running in the nature park near my house and I loved it! It is so much more fun than running on the street.

I am about to sign up for a mud run in June. I have a lot of work to do before I get there, though! Yikes. Any tips?

That's awesome about running in a nature park near your house! I agree about running trails vs. roads - I'm in love with (obsessed with?) trail running. When I'm very pressed for time, I'll run on a nearby road, but most of my runs are on the trail.

I've never done a mud run, but I'm sure you'll have a great time!
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    It's astounding to me that people pay money to do mud runs. Mud makes me cry. :frown: I'd take snow any day over mud!

Ashhills, the primary objective to to have fun. Imagine being 10 again and just running with ease. The trail is a whole different world. I know some trail runners who run on pavement sometimes, but I don't know any who have switched over completely to roads. Welcome to the dusty side!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Good to see some action here.

I don't run many trails thru the winter. And usually not even too much in spring because everything is a mud pit. But look out come summer & fall!
  • ashhills
    Options
    I love the mud! Mud makes everything better. :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm also a mountain biker who maintains a lot of the trails available for riding/running. As such, I'm very aware of the damage that can be caused by trail use during wet/muddy conditions. As such, I generally avoid the trails when they are muddy. I'm not saying that trail running in sloppy conditions ruins the trail, but my general mindset is to stay off the trails when they are muddy.
  • El_Rapido
    El_Rapido Posts: 136
    Options
    You can not avoid muddy conditions running off road in the UK, as a fell runner I can often sink in knee deep bogs whilst running over my local moorland, in fact if i don'r come back from a winter run caked in the stuff it just doesn't feel right!
  • ovenboy
    ovenboy Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi there. My name is Owen, Im based in south Wales. I dont hit the trails during winter, Im having my first outing in the woods tonight though. I cant wait, Ive really been missing it :)
  • Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Good morning. I love the trails here - Comox Valley on Vancouver Island. We have so many to choose from and being close up against the mountains - they can get pretty amazing. I'm just currently out of commission due to a calf pull, but hope to get back out there either walking/running this week or next week.

I have a huge park just one km away from me that I just adore. It's great just to walk up there and start running amongst all the trees, ferns, trilliums, skunk cabbage (despite the smell) and creeks.

Thanks for starting a new thread ashhills - I might have missed you guys!

note: can't stand running in sand. The sand seems to shoot you off in arbitrary directions from where you just came from. I love snow! It's so beautiful and peaceful and fantstic to be the first to set tracks in.
  • ovenboy
    ovenboy Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi Ribena. Spent a memorable week on the West Coast Trail a few years ago, best hike Ive ever been on. Faaaantastic. And there was two days of sunshine :)
  • Csuvetmed
    Csuvetmed Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I like to think this group is quiet because everyone's out hitting the trails and being their badass selves :laugh: