My Doc Said he "Thinks" I Have PCOS..and so I'm frustrated

Options
So I visited my doc's office yesterday, and he said with all of the symptoms I'm having (hair loss/thinning, prediabetes, little to no period since October, acne, enlarged thyroid and fatigue) He said that he thinks I have PCOS.

And so here goes my frustrations, I asked him if there was a sure shot way to see if i really do have it, he just said that with all of my symptoms he thinks I have it but we will see how my glucose looks in a month with proper diet and exercise....Didn't really get a straight answer as to how we will know for sure. He kinda left me in a grey area. I wanted to ask you guys here how did your doctor find out for sure?

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• starrynigh8
    starrynigh8 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    After speaking with my OBGYN about my issues (body hair, skin tags, no periods, depression, issues with weight) she said "Clinically it sounds like you have PCOS". She ran extensive blood tests, only to find that my glucose levels were perfectly fine. Everything in my blood test came back fine, other than high levels of androgens. At that point she said it was possible that I don't have PCOS. She then did an ultrasound of my ovaries. One ovary is fine and the other covered in follicle cysts. After that she was certain that I have PCOS. I would suggest having an ultrasound done.
  • allybay
    allybay Posts: 17
    Options
    Thank you!
  • jhann16
    jhann16 Posts: 62
    Options
    You don't have to have cysts to have PCOS. I recommend seeing a decent endocrinologist. There are so many tests he/she can run to look more closely at your hormones. Have you had a 2 hour gluclose tolerance test yet?
  • melg126
    melg126 Posts: 378
    Options
    I have the cysts and saw them when I had a transvaginal ultrasound... but they ran many tests on me in conjunction with that. I was diagnosed by a reproductive endocrinologist. I had blood tests run... etc. I think you should see someone who is more specialized to give you a full examination and determine from that if you have PCOS.
  • tnorth82
    tnorth82 Posts: 186
    Options
    I had lots of tests, but the proof for me was the ultrasound.
    If hes not sure an ultrasound could help determine an answer
  • cristacoyote
    cristacoyote Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've had symptoms for years but was just recently diagnosed. I did not have cyst and still don't. The tricky thing with pcos is that it has alot of symptoms. You can have a most of the symptoms but not all and still have pcos. That is why it is hard to diagnose, since it's not just one test.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    My doctor did a blood test and an ultrasound. I had no cysts but my doctor said my blood tests showed unbalanced hormones (can't remember what exactly).
  • Meloonie
    Meloonie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Definitely ask for an ultrasound. I have had alot of the symptoms all my life and it was only picked up in Janaury this year due to being referred to the fertility clinic and having an ultrasound.
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    There are two different types of PCOS which explains why some of us have insulin/blood sugar problems (ME!) and why some of us have cysts on our ovaries (not me). Here is a website that explains it very well:

http://www.sensible-alternative.com.au/female-hormones/polycystic-ovarian-syndrome
  • Meloonie
    Meloonie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    There are two different types of PCOS which explains why some of us have insulin/blood sugar problems (ME!) and why some of us have cysts on our ovaries (not me). Here is a website that explains it very well:

http://www.sensible-alternative.com.au/female-hormones/polycystic-ovarian-syndrome

Thanks for this, I was completely unaware and will now be pushing my doctor for further tests.