How do you beat the "boredom"?

Options
VTGolden
VTGolden Posts: 24 Member
I have been using LS DVD's for 3 years now. I have unintentionally memorized a few DVD's by heart. They were getting a little bit boring. One day, I decided to mute the TV and put some of my workout music on instead. I love it! Sometimes the beats are different, and I had to let go of perfectly mimicking the DVD, but I find it freeing. I bought the workout music on powermusic.com website. They are what group exercise instructors use in their classes with a high "bpm". One that I have is: 'Instructors Choice 09 - Hi-Lo". It has a bpm of 140-158. This is a good bpm for intermediate to advanced walkers, but perhaps a bit too high for beginners. I just thought I would put that out there in case anyone else is getting a bit bored with their DVDs.

Another thing I learned was that it is not a crime to break out into some crazy moves during your workout. Leslie can't see you, and even if she did, she would probably clap and tell you too "go for it, girl"!

How has others beat the boredom of watching the same DVD's over and over?

Replies

• Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    That is a great idea! I never thought of it, but I'm going to try it. I have several different DVD's that I use, but they are all basically the same. I, too, am one of those rebels who doesn't always follow the DVD steps exactly, but break out into moves of my own! You're right.... Leslie would probably applaud! As long as you keep moving to the music, you're doing ok!
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I rotate my dvds. I also will do my own moves but, make sure I am on beat. I will have to invest in new music and just follow the steps. Thanks for the tip!
  • bridgej2
    Options
    Lol I thought I was the only one who puts the TV on mute and cranks up my own music :-) I love her dvds but my music keeps me motivated and moving.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I rotate my workouts and sometimes, if I am in the indoor walking mood, I use one of my other walking workouts (Chris Freytag or George Foreman).

I haven't mute Leslie, but I do have fun present at all time during all my workouts. I believe that exercise should always be fun.
  • williamsge
    williamsge Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I started doing that too. I use pandora on my phone and put Leslie on mute. It is so much fun! I also get creative and do some of my own moves and add arms to all the walking moves even when she isn't.
  • helper1112
    helper1112 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am at this time doing the Walk at home burn fat, using 3 and 5 lbs dumbbells. I do the 3 mile walk and then do a little more weight lifting when I am done. The other days I work in other DVDs, mostly Tae Bo at this time. The walk and kick is also a good DVD that I have used and got me wanting to try Tae Bo after getting that down and feeling really comfortable with it.
  • Doingitin2013
    Doingitin2013 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only want that got bored with the DVD's. Plus, she talks way too much so I will mute it most of the time.
  • imalikat2
    imalikat2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only want that got bored with the DVD's. Plus, she talks way too much so I will mute it most of the time.

I totally agree... she does talk to much... I wish she would stop, but I guess that's part of the "motivation"!
  • MrsDunn8910
    MrsDunn8910 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I, as well, turn the tv's sound down real low and turn up the volume on my stereo. I love that my stereo is hooked up to my computer as its "speakers" and I put Pandora on the Lady Gaga channel. It allows me to have generally the same type of music with a fast beat that I love to dance to at clubs. Doing so, I am able to keep it moving and enjoy the workout more. Plus, I alternate my dvds so I'm not bored with the monotony you can experience working out at home.
  • princessf1
    princessf1 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have 16 or so of her DVD's, so I rotate to keep from getting bored. I also just got Turbo Jam ( LOVE IT! ) and I have a couple of Jillian Michael's - so I do something different everyday.

While I do love Les and am a positive, upbeat gal myself, some days, she's just too much. LOL I find if I am listening to my ipod though, I seem to work harder and burn more calories. My music is waaay different from hers and if I'm not feeling the beat, will just skip to another song until I do.

I love her latest one - the 5 really big miles but by the 5th mile, she just gets silly and I am sweating and panting and just want to yell at the tv - SHUT UP!
  • hildiesmom
    hildiesmom Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    LOL Well, I have lots of her DVDs...so rotation keeps them fresh. But, my favorite way of doing them is to use the "picture in a picture" feature on the TV. I can put "Leslie" in the little frame, so I can watch her and keep the beat, but then watch something else on TV...could be anything...news, talk show, whatever. I have to agree about the "silliness" on some of the vids...while I like the camaraderie they all obviously have, sometimes I feel like we're not in on the "inside joke". And I really do think they need to change up the music. I get tired of the same old stuff.
  • Taymay75
    Taymay75 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I have been using LS DVD's for 3 years now. I have unintentionally memorized a few DVD's by heart. They were getting a little bit boring. One day, I decided to mute the TV and put some of my workout music on instead. I love it! Sometimes the beats are different, and I had to let go of perfectly mimicking the DVD, but I find it freeing. I bought the workout music on powermusic.com website. They are what group exercise instructors use in their classes with a high "bpm". One that I have is: 'Instructors Choice 09 - Hi-Lo". It has a bpm of 140-158. This is a good bpm for intermediate to advanced walkers, but perhaps a bit too high for beginners. I just thought I would put that out there in case anyone else is getting a bit bored with their DVDs.

Another thing I learned was that it is not a crime to break out into some crazy moves during your workout. Leslie can't see you, and even if she did, she would probably clap and tell you too "go for it, girl"!

Thank you posting the info on powermusic.com. What a great idea to alleviate the boredom. Thank you
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Thank you - I will have to look into Power Music.

What I've done (music wise) is "rip" faster tunes off of CDs & transfer them to a CHEAP MP3 player. I know this can be done with playlists (on the IPod) ... basically I'm too lazy. This cheap MP3 player is just for walking. I hit shuffle & go.

jogfm.com is great for finding songs in your BPM range. You put in the walking pace MPH ..... and it lists hundreds of songs. You can sort by genre too.
  • kristinajaffe
    kristinajaffe Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN CHECK THEM OUT AT THE LIBRARY.. THEN YOU CAN TRY NEW ONES .. AND SWITCH UP THE SAME OLD ROUTINE... ALSO I NEVER DO THE SAME DVD TWICE IN A ROW.. AND SOMETIMES.. I WILL DO A COUPLE MILES ON ONE THEN PUT IN ANOTHER AND DO A COUPLE FROM THAT ONE..
  • KitConFitz
    KitConFitz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Oh I am a muter! I love Leslie but I would find myself board if I listened to the DVD everyday. I play her 5 mile DVD on my laptop and set it next to the TV and either catch up on my DVR (a little Wendy Williams, E! News, talk soup, some paranormal shows... lol) or I record music videos on Fuse TV that are on overnight and play the music videos while I work out and FF thru the commercials. I work out harder when music is on, but follow along just fine while watching some mindless shows that entertain me and pass time. The truth is, is that if I was in LOVE with working out, I would be doing something for a living in the field or I wouldnt be over weight to begin w ith. I LIKE working out. I like it enough to make myself do it and thats it. I think Leslies 5 mile is just enough to get a great 60 minute workout. I can challenge myself more and use weights, or jump around more, or use arms when she doesnt. But there are also days I am just proud of myself for going through the 5 miles and I am not up for putting more effort into it.

Leslie is all about being proud of yourself and taking good care of your body. The DVD is certainly not a step by step dance rehersal!

Keep up your walking! Good luck to you all!! :)