the group

Options
2»

Replies

• Punkicoleman
    Punkicoleman Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. My preference is to get the kale at Trader Joe's where it comes clean and dry. Makes it a lot easier.

Then I tear the kale in to small pieces, using just the curly parts. The veins don't work well.

I then mix it in a large bowl with as little olive oil as possible to cover the kale, both sides, and then season it with Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning. My favorite new trick is to sprinkle it with vinegar and mix well. I have a friend who adds garlic powder, but I haven't tried that yet.

Spread on a cookie sheet and bake at 325 degrees for 8 minutes, take out and turn, and then bake for an additional 4-5 minutes, depending on your stove.

It does take a bit of experimentation to figure out how your oven and altitude affect the cooking time, but that shouldn't take more than a couple of attempts.

I have also used red kale, which I like, but not enough to go through the cleaning and drying process.

Every single day I make a new batch and count on them to get me through any challenge I might encounter.

Another trick that helps me a lot is to eat just a tiny bit of 87% dark chocolate to end my meals. That seems to take away any urges that I might have for a glass of red wine. Truth be told, I don't miss the red wine anywhere near as much as I thought I would. :wink:
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Thanks...going to Trader Joe's tomorrow. I think the "dry' part is the secret. :happy:
    Tried the chocolate but my will power isn't the best.
    Just roasted some asparagus...really yummy.
  • Goodwin1948
    Options
    I also just joined this group. Am looking for supportive people to help me and also so that I can help them with support. Anybody out there
  • Punkicoleman
    Options
    Oh welcome, Goodwin! Very nice to have you aboard. I have only been with the group a few days, but I am confident it will grow into a vibrant supportive group, wherein we will all gain tons of support and encouragement from one another.

Please invite friends to join.
  • khaapala
    khaapala Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hello Goodwin! This group can make us all champions :flowerforyou:
    I have discovered that frequent feedback works best for me... so... daily logging is very important and I am eagerly awaiting my "tekky" pedometer. I'm not competitive by nature, but I have no problem competing with myself!
    Glad you have joined us. Stay active!
  • GreenGrannie
    Options
    Hello! I just joined MFP and this group today. I was on Weight Watchers, which worked well for me until they changed to Points Plus. Although counting points may be easier, this seems to work similarly, with the added bonus that it's free! I think I'll like it..
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Welcome goodwin, you will find everyone in this group very supportive and encouraging. Request friends if you like. you can read their profiles first if you want.

Welcome to you too greengrannie. I was on WW at one time too but didn't do well on the Points System. Their groups didn't seem as friendly as the groups and friends on MFP. :heart:

I hope you both find mfp what you're looking for in your weight loss journey.:drinker:

Ginny
  • Punkicoleman
    Options
    Wow, another new member. Yeah! The more the merrier.

I just made another recipe discovery. It is roasted cauliflower and is as yummy and useful as Kale Chips, but much more filling.

Exactly what I was looking for. Here you go:

http://summertomato.com/roasted-curried-cauliflower-to-die-for/

Another great thing happened to me. Today when I was shopping at Fred Meyer (our local super store that sells everything from food to clothes to household items) I tried on a winter jacket that I had tried on about a month ago. At that time I couldn't zip it up but today it zipped up easily. I was so happy. I didn't buy it but might if the price goes down any further.

Now I just need to keep plugging away at it, day after day, week after week, month after month, until I get to where I want to be.
  • smackadoodle
    smackadoodle Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I also tried the new weight watchers but joined here after 4 months. For an internet support group, this is the best for me!!
  • smackadoodle
    Options
    Great coat wearing! Thanks for these recipes. I never used to eat snacks but now that I am older my stomach needs them.
    Veggie snacks are great!
  • smackadoodle
    Options
    Just saw part of the St. Patrick's Day parade. I am looking forward to celebrating my quarter of Irish blood on Thursday. Going to see The Rovers play on Thursday and on the 17, it is corned beef and cabbage.. Thinking of my father and his ole Irish heart!
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    We are growing by leaps and bounds. Welcome goodwin and greengrannie.

G: I agree, joined WW for awhile but I find the support of MFP so much better. The points system was annoying and the groups were not that friendly.

P: I really like to roast and grill my veggies. They seem to have a better taste. I am still experimenting with the chips (as you said I would:smile: ) Second bag of kale will go into a soup. Soup is a great thing for me to stave off the hunger pangs. I usually try to make a pot on Sunday (with lots of veggies) and have it for lunch or snack. Did you give a little hoot :heart: when the coat zipped up.

S:Rovers are fun. Thinking about cornbeef. I know I will be out during the day on the 17th, but the crock pot is ready!!!!:drinker: Slante!

Wishing both our newcomers much luck on their journey. I hope you find the support and friendship on MFP that you need.
  • graycatbird
    graycatbird Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The veggie snacks sound great! I love vegetables with curry, so the cauliflower sounds really appealing to me.

This really is such a warm and supportive group! I was looking at the earlier posts, and it's amazing that just a few weeks ago there wasn't much happening in the group. You have done such a great job of rejuvenating it! I liked someone's idea of "friending" other members of the group, so I think I'm going to send you all friend requests!

Thanks for being there.

Sue
    Portland, Maine