UGH!

Options
darkling_glory
darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
So there is a "popular" blog post right now about a woman eating a "vegan" diet.

Well, what she's really doing is just drinking juice all day, every day.

That is NOT a vegan diet. Also, the comments are really crazy! People talking about how being a vegan is asking for nutritional deficiencies. Etc..

People like that really piss me off!

Sorry... just had to vent where people would understand!

Replies

• DedicatedStrength
    DedicatedStrength Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Um yeah, that is called juice fasting. And it is definitely not healthy in the longterm to do... you are constantly kicking your body's @$$ by jacking it on sugar and kicking your insulin. Certainly not what I want associated with veganism.
  • Daz999
    Daz999 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I said in my 'Welcome' post that I would shut up, but I guess I can't.
    In January I had a biometric screening with a nurse. My BMI was high and she recommended that I start some sort of diet. I told her I was a vegetarian so she turns over the sheet with the BMI info on it and shows me a picture of a very unhealthy women.
    "This was me as a vegan" she says. Explaining how her vegan diet made her very overweight and now she is sensitive to carbs so really has to watch her diet now.
    I'm finding I can trust the medical profession less and less. I mean really. Follow a healthy diet regardless of what of who you eat. Pay some freaking attention.

Oreos are vegan. If I eat just oreos I'll be vegan. Yay!
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    People are dumb...that is all I can say to this!
  • MsWhiteParks
    MsWhiteParks Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It really bugs me too! If i have to eat a friends or go to a family meal they are mostly like... we can cook you some chips? Or you can have some salad? Thats usually between telling me I am just making myself ill with my diet! GRRRR Yes I would be ill had I lived on a diet of Chips for the last 6 months!! BY GOD IT MAKES ME ANGRY!!

But I do love juice :)

x
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I saw that!!!... I amost replied, but then just decided to let it go... The ignorance out there is astounding.
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I would like to reply in defense of the blogger. I have wanted to switch to a vegan diet for a long time but kept making excuses. After seeing the movie Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, I was excited to try a juice fast too. I didn't totally fast (neither is the blogger), but most of my daily nutrients came from fruit and vegetable juice. And just like with the blogger, a funny thing happened: I found myself satisfied and without cravings and feeling terrific! I didn't have a plan for how long I would fast but it lasted several days. Then one day I realised that I was primarily consuming a plant-based, raw, vegan diet. And now I have added regular amounts of food to my diet, just as the blogger intends to, and those foods are (with a few exceptions) vegan. I will also probably always include juice in my diet. It was a great way for me to get started. Featured in the film is Dr. Joel Fuhrman who recommends a vegan diet in his books. I tried following Dr. Fuhrman's book Eat to Live, but did not stick with it. With juicing, I feel I can really sustain my transition. So I would like to see the support of any effort on behalf of people who are making a change for the betterl
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    The frustrating part about it is that it is NOT what veganism is about. People who have NEVER been exposed to veganism will click on this blog and see a crazy lady doing a juice fast and think -- "I knew those vegans were crazy."

Folks who do juice fasts and claim it's healthy because it's vegan are just misinformed. They go on and on about oh "vegan this" and "vegan that" and "I'll drink my juice" and you'll only feel better if it's "RAW."

That makes it really hard for people (like me, I'm not denying it) who are ethical vegans. I tell people I'm a vegan and folks judge. They think I'm only doing it because it's a "fad diet" or whatever.

They also then think that all vegans are cooky or nuts. I get *especially* annoyed when people talk about how difficult it is and how they crave all this stuff.

Well, no, it's not difficult at all. Especially when you have a meaningful reason for doing it.

That's why I'm venting and why I'm annoyed.

I DO AGREE that it is awesome for people to become informed and to learn how healthy a plant based diet is. There are folks on this site who don't follow a 100% vegan diet but they GET IT and they know that plant based eating is the way to be. They look to educate themselves more and more.

This blogger is not that type of person -- if their blog posts are anything to go on. I've never met this person. I've only read their blog posts. But they are frustrating to me.

That is all.

P.S. I guess it's important to point out that if you only eat vegan food you are maintaining a vegan diet. But if you eat vegan food, buy vegan products, and eschew all animal by-products (leather, wool, lanolin, etc...) you are living a vegan *lifestyle.
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Yeah, what Darkling said!!!
  • bilzprincess
    bilzprincess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I said in my 'Welcome' post that I would shut up, but I guess I can't.
    In January I had a biometric screening with a nurse. My BMI was high and she recommended that I start some sort of diet. I told her I was a vegetarian so she turns over the sheet with the BMI info on it and shows me a picture of a very unhealthy women.
    "This was me as a vegan" she says. Explaining how her vegan diet made her very overweight and now she is sensitive to carbs so really has to watch her diet now.
    I'm finding I can trust the medical profession less and less. I mean really. Follow a healthy diet regardless of what of who you eat. Pay some freaking attention.

Oreos are vegan. If I eat just oreos I'll be vegan. Yay!

How lucky I am! My doc is originally from Europe, one of his children is a vegetarian, one is a vegan. He looks at my numbers. What he says is: can u keep this up? It's working for you." On the downside he asked "125 lbs is your goal?! Wldnt that make u anorexic?". Heh heh. I said get the BMI chart out. I'm 5'5", tiny bones structure. Um, no. It wldnt be anorexic. Silly goose.