Non-Scale Victories (NSV) - What are yours?

Options
Kamalalue
Kamalalue Posts: 87 Member
I just found out what NSV means; I have been reading it everywhere on this site, and had no idea what it meant!

For me, I have noticed that movement is getting easier, my legs rub together less, I have more confidence and I am gaining the self-respect that I lacked.

What are some recent NSV that you have realized or achieved?

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    A bit more freedom to experiment in the kitchen. Instead of dosing everything with salt as I used to (habit, saw dad make it snow on his plate every meal he ate) I open up the spice cupboard and grab something, be it paprika, cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, summer savory, nutmeg, mace, mustard powder.... just a dash of something to change up the flavor I don't miss the salt at all.
    Last night I made some home-made Cream of Broccoli soup... the protein count was way low from it so it either needs something added to it such as hemp hearts or needs a protein side-dish. Having made that I'm going to do more experimenting... I had broccoli, green peppers, celery.... and it was all blended / processed so you couldn't tell any of it was in there, nice sneaky way to get more vegetables in.
    We bought a LOT of vegetables grocery shopping yesterday and this time I'm going to do some cooking ahead and get them used up before they can go bad which tends to happen far more often than I like. Just using the food we're already buying rather than filling the compost pile is a big NSV here.
  • mikda999
    mikda999 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    That is funny! I looked up NSV the other day!

Hmm, mine was putting on a different pair of jeans the other day! They were my current size and all, but I never wore them because I couldn't bend and stuff in them, they are non stretch variety. Now they fit perfect! My scale may not be going down quickly, but I can feel my body changing quickly.
  • mikda999
    mikda999 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I hear ya on the compost bin. Ours is always getting full with bad veggies. Such a shame, but no more!

I was reading about your broccoli soup which sounded so yummy! Anyway, I wanted to share one of my secrets. I cook and puree cauliflower in chicken stock/broth and that becomes my so called cream base. Nobody knows it's not actually cream.
    Anyway, happy composting!
  • Pandorian
    Options
    I'll certainly have to try that, but the cauliflower that is here right now is destined to be pizza crust ;)
  • Kamalalue
    Options
    I now have the motivation to make a soup with the veggies in the fridge!!!! Thank you for the new idea!

I have made "mashed potatoes" out of cauliflower (which was awesome!) But I never thought to use it as a soup base, this is a must try!

Please tell me more about this cauliflower pizza crust...
  • Rachel507
    Rachel507 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love this post! I just accomplished my first NSV last week. I fit into a pair of jeans that I had bought last year that were way to small for me, and they are even getting a little roomy! yay! My next NSV is to be able to use my WII Fit that my hubby bought for me last year and I weighed too much for it! I have about 20 more lbs to go!
  • Kamalalue
    Options
    Rachel -

It won't be long now! You will have to let me know once you try the Wii Fit, if you like it. I have wanted to try it - but I am a long ways away from the weight limit. I currently use a kinect sensor for my XBOX 360 - I find it fun, but not always realistic for my size.

Katie
  • 1Nifty50
    1Nifty50 Posts: 21
    Options
    When I started this journey I wore size 30-32 pants, on sunday I got into a size 24 and actually wore them, they were a little tight but not overly tight.
  • Kamalalue
    Options
    Nifty -

That is fantastic!!!! I hope to be following in your shoes soon!

Katie
  • Pandorian
    Options
    Today mine was getting out on the newly (mostly) clean sidewalks for a walk where I could feel "Safe" from slips trips and falls... the walk out for the return trip I was feeling pretty restricted, winded etc, but when I got to the "end" of the outward trip and sat down for a few minutes... coming home was a lot more fluid.

Lost a lot of mobility, I'll be out tomorrow doing it again. Need to get this back under control... I WILL do that 7km hike again in a couple hours like I used to every week or every other week at least.
  • mdawson2112
    mdawson2112 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Clothes feeling looser and going a little faster on the tread mill.

My biggest one that I didn't even know about until this morning, I am able sleep in my side for longer periods and getting more sleep. I have had a bad back for about 20 years and have trained myself to sleep sitting up. Typically I have to wake up and change positions multiple times a night but in the last few weeks that has gotten better and better. Losing wiegh is putting less pressure on my back.
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Losing wiegh is putting less pressure on my back.

Same here. I can now walk and mow the lawn without back pain. Even standing at the kitchen bench preparing meals would cause me back pain. No longer.
    Today mine was getting out on the newly (mostly) clean sidewalks for a walk where I could feel "Safe" from slips trips and falls... the walk out for the return trip I was feeling pretty restricted, winded etc, but when I got to the "end" of the outward trip and sat down for a few minutes... coming home was a lot more fluid.

Walking: I have found that using a walking staff/stick has helped a lot with my back. It forces me to maintain a better posture. It also provides a greater feeling of security, especially going down hill.
  • Kamalalue
    Options
    Absolutely fantastic victories!!!! Sleeping better is going to help weight loss all the way around! and less back pain, makes life easier to live!

Does anyone have any goals or NSV goals for Summer?

My goal for the end of summer, is to be under 300 lbs.

My NSV goal, is to be able to swim the full length of the high school pool, without needing 3 minutes to catch my breath.
  • Pandorian
    Options
    I aim to be under 300 lbs again by my birthday in August.... I was there last year but regained basically all I lost.

My NSV today was not dieing in CPR class for Standard First Aid, 6 minutes of CPR on the dummy I felt like I was going to need it, then they had us do another 5 minutes later in the day... yeesh. More tomorrow
  • Pandorian
    Options
    And I can celebrate that I have completed my First Aid training and now have my wallet-card. Day 2 wasn't so bad even though we did a lot more in class today than on day 1
  • ibvicki
    ibvicki Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    ooh - good tip on the cauliflower base! My NSV has been internal – just feeling better about myself. I am finally DOING something instead of feeling depressed about it. And i have made some online friends!
  • ibvicki
    ibvicki Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yeah Nifty!!!! And Lemon and Dawson - totally awesome to see health results!!! I am inspired to go eat my veggies and hummus!
  • 1Nifty50
    1Nifty50 Posts: 21
    Options
    I actually got into a pair of jeans today after not wearing jeans for about 2 years!
  • mtgal2012
    mtgal2012 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My NSV goal by August is for me to be able to easily jog 1 mile without feeling like I'm going to pass out at the end of it. I have started walking and can walk 2-3 miles/day with no problem but I would love to start jogging.
    Jen
  • allsmile
    allsmile Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That is a great goal! I am always hearing friends talk about couch to 5k and I'm intrigued, but I'm honestly scared of it. I haven't run in YEARS, plus I do my walking on a treadmill at the gym and I have visions of making a fool of myself try to start jogging there (tripping, falling, breaking the thing lol). I'm still working on getting to the "walk 2-3 miles/day with no problems" stage anyway :)