Toe in the water

Options
Got back in the pool today :wink: first time in over a year. Pool was lover and quiet. Managed 3 lengths (150 metres) before gasping and my hamstring giving me pain. Managed about 10 lengths in total doing breast stroke but broke it up inbetween with walking up and down to ease my leg. My first tentative steps towards the tri.

Replies

• simples88
    simples88 Posts: 51
    Options
    I'd stick to breaststroke first while you pick up your stamina and protect your hamstring from all that kicking that it isn't used to! Breatstroke will give you an all over tone as well.

Try the swimfit website. I don't do the fitness side of the website but I started to do the challenges. I've swam the distance of loch ness, 2miles and am now aiming for coniston water, 5miles. It's surprising how quickly you can achieve your goals over how ever many swims.

http://www.swimming.org/swimfit/about-swimfit/
  • Tudrase
    Tudrase Posts: 55
    Options
    Thats great!! I'd love to do something like that in the future. Good luck with coniston :smile: what an achievement that will be
  • irishginger
    irishginger Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Nice job getting started! I hate swimming and it's my weakest event. I'm looking forward to checking out the website also. I've been doing my tris side stroke!!! I need all the help I can get...lol!
  • simples88
    simples88 Posts: 51
    Options
    As far as the cycling is concerned get yourself on a sky ride to start off with. You go in a group so it's like a social event and the leader talks you through cycle safety-makes sure your bike is ok etc.
    I've done a few, in fact I did a hilly one this morning and currently have a pleasant ache all over.
    They are good if your doing one on your own, they do breeze rides which are just for ladies. Last time I did a breeze ride, on a break going around one of the ladies brought out a packet of digestives. Lovely!
  • Tudrase
    Tudrase Posts: 55
    Options
    I'm looking into it :happy: thamk you for all the advice!:flowerforyou:
  • naomibow
    naomibow Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello! I totally agree with simples88. If you can find a local cycling club (or triathlon club), it makes the rides much more fun and sociable - time flies when you're having a chat! For anyone in Kent, UK - I cycle with Kent Velo Girl (www.kentvelogirls.co.uk) - the largest women's cycling club in the UK. Also, worth looking at the CTC's website for those in the UK - it lists lots of cycling clubs. http://www.ctc.org.uk/.

Additionally, check out the British Triathlon Federation for local triathlon clubs - http://www.britishtriathlon.org/

Good luck!

N
  • veganswim
    veganswim Posts: 13
    Options
    Has anyone tried the Speedo Pace Club workouts? There are 4 levels to start with: Beginner, Advanced Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced and also some technique workouts. There are also videos from Olympic athletes and coaches demonstrating the drills. I'm on my fourth workout in the Intermediate level, and I really think these workouts are amazing. I'd love to add some people to my "swim team" on there! It has an interactive quality kind of like this website. You can also just do your own workouts and enter in the yards/meters manually.
  • heidelbergerin
    heidelbergerin Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I'm planning to get my first swim in months and months in tomorrow. I'm scared- it's a new pool and I'm always nervous at a new pool. But swimming is my forte, so I'm hoping to ease myself back into it. I love the swimfit website and need to get back to doing the challenges. I think having a regular swim slot will also be good. Routine is key.
    Anyway, just wanted to drop by and say hello :)
    Hello!