making time for exercise

Options
jenny2steps
jenny2steps Posts: 27 Member
How do all the working mom's out there make time for enough exercise? I worked last night and am exhausted today. Just the youngest is home and I am trying to figure out how to get some energy.
Any tips on how to fit exercise into a busy schedule?

Replies

• 2bfit4fun
    2bfit4fun Posts: 12
    Options
    I work 40 hrs plus 1 hr commute daily. I have a 4 yr old, 6 yr old, part time 13 yr old, and going on 21 yr old. I couldn't work out unless I had total support of my hubby. I had to get very creative with when I worked out, when we planned dinner time, and my sleep. That was the real key, planning healthy meals for us all in advance. We really wanted to reinforce healthy eating for our kids too. I recommend Tosca Reno's eating clean books. They have been invaluable to our family.

It was really hard initially for my hubby and I to get in synch with each others schedules, and for him to "sacrifice" time for my workouts; but he quickly realized the benefits for him also. I was a much nicer "tired" mom when I got some me time to work out and we grew closer intimately as a result of a boosted self esteem. Diet was imperative to my success. Cutting out things that made me tired (mostly all sugars, even the artificial sweetners, and alcohol) was key for me and drinking lots of water!!! I still struggle and periodically just have to take 2 or 3 days off in a row, more out of missing my kids and guilt than fatigue. I used to mentally punish myself for this, but recently got to a place of content and realized that I can't do it all, all of the time. I do my best and when I need a break I take it.

It is a balance for sure, and finding what works best for you and your family id key! Good luck! :smile:
  • MissLady0710
    MissLady0710 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a full time mom and a full time student. I am currently on Spring Break and have been using this time to work out more. Working out at night seems what is working best with my crazy schedule. I have lost 5lbs in one week which has made me feel like I can actually lose these 40lbs before my birthday. Once Spring Break is over I will probably have to switch my work out time up from nights, to early mornings. But I am determined to keep working out and to achieve my goal. I am not only working out to lose weight but to relieve the stress on my back and to be more active with my children.
  • adsyron
    adsyron Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am a mom of two, and I have a very busy full-time job. I am lucky that I get off work before my kids get home from school, so if I don't have meetings after work, I get my runs in then. Now that it is almost summer time, I like to put the kids to bed, then go for my runs. But...sometimes, I just have to skip a day if time doesn't allow. My husband is really good about helping me find time to run.
  • jeanneschoff
    Options
    I am a mom of two young kiddos (28 months and 7 months). I also work 12 hour overnight shifts three times a week. My husband is on a day schedule. So I chose to lose some sleep and work out at night after everyone else is sleeping. My goal is to work out four times a week (my days off). And for the last month it's been going well. I am tired, but feel better after having worked out :)
  • nova189
    nova189 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, im a mom of a 6 yr old plus my husband has 2 boys 6,9yrs old. I work part time and go to school full time. With all this finding time to workout has been almost impossible,that is untill we joined the ymca in our town. They have group classes like zumba and bodyblast and chlid care, kid programs and more. I signed all the kids up for a class like ballet and karate and i work out during their class time and use the child watch program during zumba. I love this new arrangement and cant wait to see some weight loss.this may work for some of you moms out there :-)
  • jenny2steps
    jenny2steps Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Wow! You are all doing a wonderful job of juggling!! I'm trying by doing video's at home. I definitely need to try to do more!
  • thomo71
    thomo71 Posts: 21
    Options
    I've just started MFP and I work out by taking the pram out with my six mopnth old baby. I'm returning to work after Easter part time so will continue to do walking at least 4 times a week. Hubby looks after the baby twice a week and I escape to the gym for two hours. I also have lots of DVDs to the baby gets a good giggle watching mom jump up and down for twn minutes at a time. Then I also do sqats and lunges whilst cooking and running the bath. It all adds up!!:happy:
  • gmoo731
    gmoo731 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It is very hard to fit it all in! I get a 30 min lunch break so I have been trying to walk during my break. That is all I can do right now. Hopefully, I will have more time on the weekends. But I just do what I can do, and try to make the most every hour in the day. I am learning that everything does add up. The kids love to do jumping jacks and other exercises outside with me.
  • JKSkeeta3
    Options
    Its definitely hard to find time to workout with a little one, work, and school. Whenever I have free time I take my son on walks, or to the park. Playing catch or just running around with him can burn calories =) I'm also going to purchase a new bike this weekend. I have a bike trailer that I could pull him in so why not finally put it to use. He will enjoy it and at the same time I will get a great workout in. For those of you that do videos at home (I do at times as well) try insanity, p90x, or brazil butt lift-these videos kick your butt and you will get great results if you stick to it!