Keeping my Food Log...

Options
StrongHeart
StrongHeart Posts: 294 Member
Does anyone else get tired of logging their foods and drinks every day - or is it just me?

I am just about burned out on the logging - Not because I want to "cheat" and slip in foods that are not the best choices for me, but becaue it seems to take up so much time to do it day in and day out. :cry:

If I try waiting until the end of the day to log I tend to forget an food item I had earlier in the day. If I keep a hand written log so I don't forget what I ate then I am creating double work for myself. :cry:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how they have handled burn-out when it comes to keeping the food log???

Replies

• yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... many of the foods I eat over and over are in my recent foods list (on the website, but not the app :cry: ) so sometimes logging just takes a couple of clicks to check boxes and I am done. Other times, when there are several ingredients in one meal (a complex sandwich, pasta dish, breakfast plate, etc.) I will name and save the dish so that I won't have to enter the individual ingredients the next time I have it. And finally, when I am in no mood to look up a million meal components, I just put a couple of main ingredients in the search bar ("turkey wheat mayo" for a sandwich or "Rotel cheese ground turkey" for a queso dip, and just use somebody else's entry that comes up with those main few ingredients). It may not be the most accurate, but it's close enough for me and keeps me in the habit of logging.
  • deniseselah
    deniseselah Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    +1 on making/saving meals.

Logging was kind of a hassle for me at first but for some reason it's not anymore. Do you have the MFP app? it really helps me.

Also I had a friend who would eat pretty much the same thing for breakfast and lunch every day, and I would be like 'how can you do that - it would drive me crazy!' - ..... but now since I have started MFP I'm kind of the same way! breakfast is usually one of three choices (yogurt + cereal, protein shake, oats); lunch is chicken + something (salad greens, polenta ... I make a big batch of chicken on the weekend to eat all week). So I can usually pick from my 'recents' list or look at an earlier day to find things quickly. Like when I log Fage 0% there are like a billion entries in cups, oz, grams etc - i just find one and carry it over so I don't have to wade through all the iterations. hope this helps!!
  • ssflbelle2012
    ssflbelle2012 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I also use the recent, most used, and my foods check list that develops as you post. Be sure to look for multiple pages as I didn't realized the first few weeks that there are several pages that do get developed. Very rarely now do I have to look up in the database a food item. Writing it down and than coming on line is double the work. My friend has a phone that allows her to use the phone app and she can even take pictures of the labels of the foods she eats. If you have that kind of a phone it is so much easier. Maybe she will see this posting and add additional info on the phone app. I wish I had her phone but I understand it is a expensive device. Anyhow don't give up logging because than you have no idea what you are consuming.
  • esteelewis
    esteelewis Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat the same meals every day so I just copy previous meals for the most part.
    I also find this the easiest tracker since it has the barcode scanner on the iphone.
    I think adding new foods is the most difficult. But with that ability it is so much easier and quick. Plus the food database is extensive which is nice. So far i don't mind.
  • heatherhauptli
    heatherhauptli Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey Girl. Even though it's boring and annoying, log the food before you eat it. Part of the point of logging is to see what you're eating before you do it - to mindfully eat and to not fool yourself into thinking that this "one bite" or "one piece" won't make a difference. Logging it all at the end of the day is bad too, since we all have a tendency to under estimate our portion size, and forget what we ate. If you have an iPhone, use the UPC scanner on it - it's a total time saver. The logging is by far NOT the hardest part of this journey - don't allow it to be your stumbling block. You can totally do this. Before it passes your lips, log it. :)