Which is harder???

Options
LJV1031
LJV1031 Posts: 502 Member
Finding time to get in exercise on days you work, or avoiding snacks at work???

Replies

• LJV1031
    LJV1031 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    For me I have a pretty good energy supply, so I can usually head to the gym right after my 12 hour night shift... But oh man, I'm going to punch my coworker in the gut if he doesn't stop bringing in sour patch kids & mini powdered donuts. I can usually restrict myself for the first 4 hours, but after that I'm a goner. :noway: :ohwell:
  • trixirn
    trixirn Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The snacks, definitely. They constantly bring doughnuts, cupcakes, cakes, chocolates. It's crazy.
  • kbrob14
    kbrob14 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Definetely the snacks! Working in LTC, familes are always bringing in treats!! It's so hard to resist, especially if your starving and want something real quick!
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Both are equally hard for me.

I get absolutely no exercise when I am working. I can't go to the gym after work because I do not belong to one and at the time can't afford to join one. I am so tired after my shift I drive the 30 minutes home and go to bed! I am unable to get myself up early to exercise either i sleep best in the late afternoon so I sleep in till 5 Pm and have to leave the house at 6 to get to work on time.

Snacking at work right at the moment is not too bad as many of us are in our own Biggest Loser Contest and are trying to eat healthy. If I do not plan well though I am in trouble and starving at about 1 am. Then I start looking at the crappy Yoplait yogurt they have there or the cookies etc. These are of course meant for the patients but I will occasionally sneak into them. I can go way overboard on the hospital NO NO's! I try to keep good food at work but it seems that sometimes even when your name is on the food others feel they have the right to eat it. This makes for a bad food night at work.

My biggest problem at work is drinking my water! I just can't seem to get it done. We are usually a pretty busy little ICU and many times have no times for breaks or meals let alone time to pee! I just cant see to get the water in most nights. When things slow down at about 5 am I can drink but then I am up all day peeing... Not a good thing in my opinion!

Sorry to have rambled on and on!

Carol
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I have pretty good willpower when it comes to the snacks. I find it harder to work out after my 12 hour shift. I work in the OR doing both the circulating role and the Scrub nurse role. On the days I circulate I get my 10,000 stepsand then some. Yesterday I had 15,000 so I don't feel the need to excercise on those days.I agree with Carol about water intake. I have to limit my water on days I work because I don't know when I will be able to go to the bathroom.
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Both are pretty hard for me. ALthough I work from home when I'm not on the road (whole other story) I find I graze all day long. Not really hungry but just feel like I must be chomping on something!
  • Honey219
    Options
    The snacks are rough! The head nurse on days brings cupcakes/cakes/candy for every occasion..and she is kind enough to bring for the night shift as well. 3 am when you are exhausted having a cup of coffee, the sugar rush is very tempting.

Buut ultimately for me its the exercise. I can restrict myself but after 12 hours and going back in that night, no way I have the energy to workout, barely have the energy to climb the stairs to get to bed.
  • tnrunningnurse
    Options
    Does anyone else find it ironic that in the health field unhealthy food is always around. I use to work at a doctors office and they would always have lunch brought in by drug reps(back when that was allowed) and it was always unhealthy stuff. Or at some of the hospitals I have worked at they always have candy or cookies and junk available....bring me some fruit or a salad please.
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    it used to be the snacks, now I bring a cooler and water. But I do homecare. In the office lie the chocolates, baked breads, muffins, etcc...
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    In some ways we are lucky at our hospital. The cafeteria closes 45 minutes before I come to work and reopens 15 minutes before I get off. The do serve low fat options but they are not normally low in calorie.
    The snacks that are available for the patients are very poor dietary choices, oreos, shortbread cookies, pudding, yoplait yogurt, and ice cream are the most readily available. They do have plain turkey (i use the term turkey loosely) on a really processed wheat bread on the medical floor. There is no fresh fruit, cheeses, or veggies available at all.
    When I feel like I am starving I will eat some of this pt food. Luckily I can usually resist this stuff as it makes me feel sluggish and actually hungrier as the night progresses.
    I try very hard to pack a healthy lunch filled with fresh fruit and veggies, black bean soup, and a protein for the busy nights, Most things I take are in grab and eat on the run type foods. Things I can grab after I wash my hands as I am on my way to the next patient. Not the best way to eat.
    The hardest thing for me is when one of the "Dieters" I work with orders Pizza Hut, Thai food, or Mexican food night after night. The smells really get to me. I try hard to stay in Pt rooms while she is eating. That of course does not work for long. It makes my night so much harder.
  • Lenai
    Lenai Posts: 8
    Options
    BOTH! I work on a Ped Surg unit and a NICU, and not only are there constant snacks brought in by nurses, doctors and family's but we always are having themed food nights!! My problem is the food is already chewed and swallowed before I even think of it! And exercising after a 12 hour shift? FORGET IT! I go home, eat, shower and hit the hay!! And what about the days your soo busy you miss breaks therefore not eating your healthy food so you just grab whatever is lying around and usually stuff your face!! I work with a women who, every shift , day or night, after 3 (am or pm) brings out chips - to give us a boost!! aaaggghhh!!
  • Honey219
    Options
    BOTH! I work on a Ped Surg unit and a NICU, and not only are there constant snacks brought in by nurses, doctors and family's but we always are having themed food nights!! My problem is the food is already chewed and swallowed before I even think of it! And exercising after a 12 hour shift? FORGET IT! I go home, eat, shower and hit the hay!! And what about the days your soo busy you miss breaks therefore not eating your healthy food so you just grab whatever is lying around and usually stuff your face!! I work with a women who, every shift , day or night, after 3 (am or pm) brings out chips - to give us a boost!! aaaggghhh!!

I work with a very similar woman, and when those after 3 chips come out (or whatever other snack she picks up), she insists on sharing with everyone. In theory its really nice, but I have to keep declining... makes it much harder to resist. Especially if its one of those times I've been so busy and I'm starving.
  • tnrunningnurse
    Options
    This morning we had a meeting and someone brought donuts. I declined, but it was tough.
  • ahersh00
    Options
    I think it's harder to get the exercise in... If I'm working two 12 hour shifts in a row... it's just not going to happen!!! The snacks on the other hand... just think.... you don't know who's hands have touched that food you are about to it or how long it's been sitting there... yuck!
  • princess269
    Options
    I agree! I have no energy and definitely not enough time when working back to back 12's. And my company insists that is your schedule! Day one is ok but who can get home and into bed for 8 hours of sleep doing back to back 11'a. Since taking this jod I put on 35 lbs!
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Definately working out on the days I work is hardest. Out of the house by 6am and back home by 8pm. Usually exhausted and just want a shower and bed cuz we do 3 in a row.
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Well, working out after a 12 hour turned 14 or 15 hour shift is out of the question for me.... If I get off on time I will usually try to get at least 20-30 mins in on my "dreadmill", but dang, sometimes my legs are so sore when I get off. There are usually plenty of snacks around and gracious families who insist on buying us chocolates, baked treats, etc. Lately I have been able to resist, but some days it is hard, especially when you don't get a lunch break!
  • germaic
    germaic Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Good question! As long as I psych myself into wanting my workout I will make it to the gym after work! I have to remember that I always feel better afterwards and I can handle stress better when i work out. Luckily for me most of the snacks are at the other end of the wing and so as long as I keep busy and avoid the snack area I am fine. Except today I took a small piece of chocolate cake, but was still under my calorie goal.
  • germaic
    germaic Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Having to limit water intake because we can't take time for a bathroom break at work is really difficult and frustrating! We have contemplated having a contest to see who has the fullest hat when we can finally take breaks!
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I am usually pretty good at staying busy and not giving in to the temptations at work, but it's finding the time and energy to exercise outside of work that is my ultimate issue. My schedule is so crazy (I have the potential for 64 hours next week if I am called in Easter night) and I feel like I never have time off for myself.