Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What kind of treatment to seek

ElizabethRoad
ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
In the past I've had therapy and medication for depression. It would always help a little, or it would help a lot at first and then become ineffective.

Lately I have a lot of anxiety, and I keep having disturbing thoughts of people being hurt or killed. Actually it's not new, it's just that lately I've realized it isn't normal. So my treatment in the past did not include this because I never thought to tell anyone.

I'm not sure exactly what's wrong with me or what kind of treatment I would need. I don't know whether to start with a therapist and see if they think I need meds, or start with a psychiatrist and see if he thinks I need counseling. (When I've seen psychiatrists in the past, they've only been interested in prescribing meds and not doing any talk therapy.)

What should I do?

Replies

• ceeshellz
    ceeshellz Posts: 4 Member
    I have dealt with that for as long as I can remember. I thought everyone was like that so I didn't get help until I was 25 and that was only because it got to the point where I would no longer drive because I thought I was going to die all the time ( and yes I pictured it in my head too). My best advice to you is to get some good counseling that can teach you how to deal with those thoughts. That seemed to help me more than the meds did. The meds did help decrease the anxiety but the thoughts were still there. That was almost 10 years ago and I still struggle with it at times but I can make myself stop now before it gets completely overwhelming.

Good luck! :D