Workout Diet Study and Work. How do you do it?

Options
Hey, I am in my first year and am wondering what you do to stay motivated and focused, while still keeping up with your school work, and outside job if you do that as well. Also what kind of diet do you use, i have been changing mine becuase i'm finding myself to be extremely hungry during school day, and since i live off-campus, its a while before i can get home to eat, sadly though when i do get home the hunger is usually intense and i often times find my self over-eatting? Any thoughts on managing a good balance between workout diet and studies?

Replies

• karendesi
    karendesi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a similar schedule, I go to school, work, and have an internship, which keeps me out of the house for most of the day. I usually don't get home until about 8 or 9 pm each day, which means that if I eat dinner when I get home, it will be a very late dinner and I end up snacking on everything I find, while I make myself dinner. What I have noticed has helped me is making a lunch the night before, for the whole day. I have to pack it the previous night, otherwise, I never have time in the mornings and I end up eating out a lot or getting whatever "free food" is at work, which is never healthy. So if you pack yourself a lunch for the whole day then you won't be so hungry when you get home. Sometimes during lunch, I'll walk over to the grocery store and get some groceries and keep these at work, that way I have food at work, this of course would depend if your work has a kitchen and fridge. And on my drive home, if it is really late, I'll just remind myself that I don't have to eat that late, unless I really am starving, and if I do, I think of what I have at home, so that I'm not going through all the "easy" options when I get there.
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have to commute into the city for school or work every weekday by 6:45 to 8:30 at the latest so I am sometimes eating breakfast before 5:30 am. The best strategy I have found is to eat a really filling breakfast with protein and fiber. Some days I am not out of school until 7 so I always pack at least one filling snack and a lunch. If I plan to go to the gym I may have an extra protein-rich gym snack so I'm not about to pass out by the time I get home. This way I can spend time making a nutritious dinner rather than just inhaling everything in sight! Since I'm also a broke college student packing my lunches and snacks saves me a lot of money while also keeping me on track with calorie counting.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Something that I like to do to keep up on both my workouts and my school work is studying while working out. If I'm on the bike or the elliptical, I'll have my books there with me. I'm really busy as well, with a full school schedule and working, so that's what works for me.
    As for the diet, I try to eat things on campus that are pretty good for me, such as salad and stirfry, but I will get something that's not so healthy once in a while. On the days that I might eat a burger, I make sure to just eat better the rest of the day and to work out that day.
  • becca0102
    Options
    I have a similar problem - start at about 9am and don't get home at night until about 9:45pm so I don't end up eating until about 10:30 which isn't ideal. I've tried to make sure I have a good breakfast (swapping milk and cereal for greek yoghurt honey and cereal to get a little more protein) and I've switched my meals around so that lunch is my biggest meal of the day instead of dinner. I also try to make batches of food on the weekend and freeze it - it means less cooking when I'm rushed during the week and I only need to reheat what I've already made. Also trying to eat more meat to increase my protein intake but it's so expensive!
  • sanaas
    sanaas Posts: 3
    Options
    I like to workout early in the morning...its difficult at first but you get used to it. Plus you have a lot of energy for the rest of the day. I think the hardest part is eating right, theres no time to pack healthy food so I usually just grab something unhealthy from campus.
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has the same problem. I'm not in school all day, but once I get home from work, study and eat dinner I have no time for a workout so I have to do the stairs to class as fast as I can and if there's nobody behind me, I go down and up as many times as I can until someone comes and looks at me funny. LOL.