Introduce yourself!

Options
Hello all!

I thought it would be good to have a place where we can all introduce ourselves, get to know each other a little better, and find people with similar fitness routines/goals to buddy up with and keep each other motivated!

I'll start :)

My name is Sara, I'm a 21y/o 5'10" female living in Washington State. My fitness goals right now are:
1) lose 5lbs (from 135 to 130)
2) gain strength, mostly upper body because that's where I'm weakest
3) increase cardio endurance (I want to be able to run a mile without feeling like I'm gonna die!)
4) increase flexibility because right now I can hardly even touch my own toes

I generally do mostly cardio and calisthenics with some pilates and yoga mixed in. Right now I'm working on the 100push-ups, 100sit-ups and 100squats programs to start with strength, but eventually I want to start with Starting Strength.I also do low-impact aerobics, walking, and some jogging for cardio.

I want to get fit to have more energy, look better, and feel better about myself!

Replies

• minatrab
    Options
    This is perfect! I just started using MFP a few weeks ago and I'm still getting the hang of having to report everything -.-

I'm 19, 5'1 in New Jersey. I'm currently at 135 and I'm trying to lose 10-15lbs... essentially I'll be happy as soon as I'm below 125 and can stay there.
    Also looking to gain upper body strength, I've recently started rock climbing =] and also trying to increase my cardio workouts because I hate cardio. I'd rather just stand there and lift.
  • Elkcan
    Elkcan Posts: 19
    Options
    Oooh I've always wanted to try rock climbing, but its so expensive to do in a gym and I don't live near anywhere that I can try it "in the wild". Good luck with the cardio, I'm the complete opposite (prefer cardio, find weights boring) so I have to start trying to add more strength/weights into my routine.
  • StargirlHeuser
    StargirlHeuser Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    5'2 / 103lbs / 27 yrs

I'm pretty weak. I've always been very small. I gained about 50lbs after taking an antidepressant and I've finally lost all the weight. I'm now just about back to where I was before. My main goal now is to get stronger, build muscle. 2-3x week, I do BodyPump. Might not be the best for building muscle, but it sure is fun. 2-3x week I do Zumba (which is also loads of fun) and 2-3x week I lift. I've just started and I can't lift very much at all, but I very much enjoy it.

I'm also working on becoming flexible because I can't touch my toes at all. Never have been able to. After all of my BodyPump classes, there is a BodyFlow class, which is a yoga/tai chi/pilates blend. I enjoy class based workouts because I've gotten to know a lot of the women in my class and it's motivation to actually get out of the house, which is something I have a hard time with.
  • cute_leper
    cute_leper Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

I'm 25 and living in California. I've been using fitness pal for a while now, but it hasn't been until recently that I've been more serious about logging everything. Which is pretty hard, considering I snack as often as I do. Logging def helps keep that in check. Fitness goals are:

1. Lose 10lbs, so that I am under 130
    2. Lose weight in a healthy way, that doesn't leave me obsessing over calories and beating myself up for having setbacks
    3. Gain strength, esp in my upper body too.
    4. Run more often and incorporate HIIT into my workouts

I run about two to three times a week (usually 2) and work out in a bootcamp stylt studio three times a week. It's a bit expensive, but super fun! Body Flow sounds rad! I'd also like to work on my flexibility as well...but more than four goals seems like a lot.
  • Rollie277
    Rollie277 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm the biggest one in here so far. I'm Carol. I'm a travelling nurse. I'm originally from Oregon but I'm working in Florida. I just turned 35. I've been using MFP since Nov 2011 and I think it's freaking fantastic. I've been trying to get back to high school weight since 2004, but I was lacking the tools. I've lost 35 pounds since Nov using MFP and mostly eating low carb. I have my occasional relapses though, but keeping a food journal is one of the most important things I've learned to do to get myself back on track. I just got under 250 lbs last month (5'8") with a lifetime max weight of 298 lbs. I used to do a lot of martial arts until I got into nursing, and the stress, long hours, and night shift pretty much destroyed my body (in other words I let myself go and ate whatever I wanted for a while to cope). My primary exercise these days is free weight lifting and I love it. My goals are:

1) Lose 100 lbs in 2012
    2) Goal weight 165
    3) Not get sick of what I'm doing
    4) Maintain flexibility and increase strength

I'm working through some injuries and GI illnesses right now, but I'm determined to not let these things stop me. I'm sick of being the 'big' girl.
  • adalychee
    adalychee Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been a member of MyFitnessPal for quite a while now, but I only recently started really using it more than intermittently. I think that being part of a community will help a LOT in terms of actually sticking with it this time.

I'm 21, 5'8" (5'7.5" really, but I like rounding up), and 155 lbs. I used to be in very good shape - I rowed competitively for 4 years (and won!) and then did military stuff for two and a half years, but for the past year I've only been working out intermittently. I just left a very stressful position a few weeks ago, and since then I've decided to get back into healthy habits. While losing some fat would be nice, my main goal is to get back up to the strength and stamina I used to have. I love running, hiking, caving, climbing, and doing all sorts of other exciting things. The feeling of moving is amazing, and I don't want my body to slow me down. I mostly run and do bodyweight exercises (I have terrible form with weights), but I'm starting a class next week that teaches the essentials of weight training - I'm excited! I also found some kickboxing videos on Netflix that are very exciting. When I get the money (and get my stamina back up to a reasonable point), I'd like to give Insanity a try as well.

Right now, I'm using MyFitnessPal to keep track of my diet--as a vegetarian, I have a tendency to overload on carbs and not get nearly enough protein--and calories ingested vs. burned. I've been using Fleetly (and Fitocracy, although I don't like it as much) and RunKeeper to keep better track of my training.
  • seadrifte
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I've been using MFP for a few months now, and though I've only dropped several pounds, I've managed to take off about two inches! In my teenage years, I was involved in competititve gymnastics and softball, but after a bad accident, I was left with a shattered kneecap. Naturally, I began with a lot of muscle in my body, and the majority of it has stayed despite the weight gain that occurred from being sedentary. Since then, I've managed to injure myself in other silly ways, the most recent being a back sprain which I'm now starting to feel more healed from. I'm a klutz, to say the least.

My name is also Sara (hi Elkcan!), I'm 25 years old and living in San Francisco, California. My height is about 5'5" and I currently weigh around 168-169.

My fitness goals as of right now are:
    1) lose at least 30 pounds of fat while maintaining muscle
    2) get back into better weight training
    3) continue with my yoga/pilates training
    4) finish C25K (wk 3 right now)
    5) DO NOT injure myself again in the process of my goals!

I've always been adept in yoga/pilates, including teaching a small class at my community college a few years ago. It's helped tremendously with my active lifestyle, and I recommend any and all to look into a good cardio pilates workout. Also, sun salutations will give you energy like you wouldn't believe!

I'm already a pretty healthy eater for the most part, as I was a pescatarian for twelve years up until August, in which I've begun entering lean protein like chicken and turkey back into my diet.

More so, I want to be fitter for my own happiness and well-being. I'm glad to have gotten to know a few of you so far. :)
  • khagador
    khagador Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! Nice to meet everyone.

I just joined MFP yesterday, so I'm not exactly sure how everything works yet. I'm on Dailymile and Fitocracy too. I was really focused on running for the past year but I got injured in November and haven't recovered yet. I switched focus now to strength training. I would always use the weight machines at the gym, but I just moved over to free weights.

Here's my goals:
    1. Lose weight. Currently around 135 and GW is 125. (I'm 5'7")
    2. Lift with good form.
    3. Get back to running injury free.
    4. Make other girls say "damn, look at the skinny *****. She must never eat." But really she couldn't be further from the truth.

Other things about me:
    My name is Karen.
    I've been vegan for over 5 years. I need to cut back on my carbs and count calories better.
    I'm a substitute teacher and looking for a full-time position teaching high school social studies.
    I'm from the Philly area (DelCo) and looking to move to Roxborough in a few months.
  • BellaRoma89
    BellaRoma89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi!! It's going to be interesting being part of an online support group, but I'm excited to start! My name is Camilla and I'm considerably less active than most of you :/ I've recently joined 24 Hour Fitness and am nervous to try the different classes they offer (so any advice/tips/anecdotes would be appreciated). I currently weigh 143 lbs at 5'5, 22 years old. My goals are

1) to lost 10-15 lbs (this is more realistic than my previous 20-25lb goal)
    2) to become toned and ready for the summer months (without getting a muscular physique)
    3) I've got an hourglass shape as it is, but I'd really like to define my regions more (smaller waist, healthy, not flabby butt, sleek arms)

I started MFP a week or two ago and have already fallen off the wagon. But, starting tomorrow that will all change :)

I'm currently out of school until the fall so there really shouldn't be any excuse for me not to make working out a priority.
  • fruitlooper
    fruitlooper Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Howdy! I've been using MFP for awhile now, I love it. Haven't lost a pound though, I'm working out like a beast but eating like one too!

I'm 35, 5'8", 165 pounds. I have the number 148 in my head, it's the lowest I can ever remember being. I've gained and lost 50 pounds twice in my life, so I know what to do. I really like the way I look with clothes on, but naked is a different story. I had a c-section over 4 years ago, and my stomach really bothers me. :(
  • Elkcan
    Options
    I've recently joined 24 Hour Fitness and am nervous to try the different classes they offer (so any advice/tips/anecdotes would be appreciated).

When a new 24-hour Fitness opened up in my city they had free access to classes for 7 days. I tried functional training, strength training, and boot camp classes. My favorite by far was the boot camp, it just felt like the best workout ever! a close second was functional training, it was fun and helped build agility and balance, too.

I've also heard good things about their Body Pump and Zumba classes, too.
  • SeregKat
    SeregKat Posts: 7
    Options
    Oh, well...howdy.
    My name is Katie, I'm 20 years old and I live in southern Ohio. I'm a junior in college. (I lurk on xxFitness and haven't had the guts to post. Eek.)
    I'm 5'2" and approximately 280lbs, give or take a few depending on the day.

I miss the "good ol' days" in middle school when I was, eh, about 160lbs. Still overweight but definitely better than this. I gained a ton of weight after my 8th grade due to several factors: I had to quit playing softball and then I went on anti-depressants. Then two years later I went on birth control and, well, I kinda...erm...blew up, lol.
    I never really had the chance to do anything to really battle my weight before this year. I joined Planet Fitness about halfway through January and have been attempting to go 2-3 times a week for 1 1/2 to 2 hours each session. (It's not easy to keep going with tons of homework to do each night, bleh.) I mostly do lower body strength training since that's what I'm used to. I've had Achilles tendonitis in both ankles but my right ankle is bothering me terribly these days, so I'm mostly doing the same types of exercises that I did when I went to physical therapy for this stuff. I'm gradually mixing in some upper body strength training but I get discouraged because I'm massively weaker than I ever thought I was.

Oops, sorry, I'm rambling.
    Goals? Well...I don't know. Ideally, I'd like to lose ~120lbs but that doesn't seem realistic, not even as a long-term goal.
    I'd really like to gain a fair amount of strength in my arms.
    I want to be able to wear my XL (or even L) shirts. I'd like to actually be able to shop for clothing in a physical store...be able to try things on! That would be nice. :)
    In any case, I just want to feel better. Healthier. More energetic. (This constant lethargy is killing me.)

Sorry for the long post. ^_^'
  • goldieglitter
    goldieglitter Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!
    I'm Goldie, I am 24 and I live in Baltimore. I have always been heave (230-260) for all of high school and most of college. I went to school in Boston and that helped me with my activity level, mainly because I had to walk everywhere! When I was a junior I started working out and trying to become more fit, but it spiraled into an eating disorder. No one could tell because even at my lowest weight I was 215. I would binge and purge then feel guilty and go run on the treadmill for two hours. When I graduated I moved back to my mom's house in the suburbs of Baltimore, and got ZERO activity, and ate all my feelings and frustrations. I moved out to my own place in the city in August, and that has helped with my activity level, because I can ride my bike to my friend's house instead of having to drive. I decided to change my eating habits on November 1st, after seeing pictures of myself in my Halloween Costume.
    I am exercising 3-5 times a week, I do body pump and zumba, and sometimes I just run on the treadmill/ elliptical. My total goal is to lose 100 lbs, so I will be 148 when I reach my goal. I'm really into weight lifting, and I am starting to see some results!
  • Elkcan
    Options
    ~120lbs but that doesn't seem realistic, not even as a long-term goal.

Aww, that's no way to think about it! We're all here to make positive changes and support each other in our goals. Just stick with it and if you really want to make it happen you totally can!
  • ontherooftop
    ontherooftop Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!

I'm Megan, I am 25 and live in Indiana. I'm 5'6'' and 140-144 lbs. I think I fall into the skinny-fat category. I had a body composition evaluation using a BodPod at my gym and my BF% was way too high, so my goal is to get that reduced by at least 10% by Nov. 2012. I've been using MFP intermittently for about a year and I hope this will help me be more dedicated to tracking calories. I generally have a pretty healthy diet, but haven't been very physically active since graduating from high school. I joined a gym in November and have been taking different classes (spinning, BodyPump, CxWorx, Yoga). I am definitely starting to see results with gaining strength and losing inches, but not really losing weight. I'd like to play tennis, but I don't have anyone to play with. Also, I have a BS in dietetics, so I might be able to help with any nutrition related questions.
  • khagador
    khagador Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Goals? Well...I don't know. Ideally, I'd like to lose ~120lbs but that doesn't seem realistic, not even as a long-term goal.

Set challenging, yet manageable, short-term goals and you'll eventually reach your long-term goal. You can do it! We're here to help.
  • nfgchick79
    nfgchick79 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Karen. I'm 32 years old, 5'0". I've been using MFP for a couple of months now but have been really focused on my working out since around October/November. I didn't actually start really losing weight until I started tracking my calories on MFP. I've gone from 134 to 122! My goals:

1. Lose weight. I'd like to be down to about 110-115. If I got smaller than that, it would be great but I don't think it is a realistic goal (I am very petite though)
    2. My wedding is in 2.5 months so I'd like to look pretty in my dress
    3. I'm planning on having children in the near future so I'd like to be healthy and fit while pregnant
    4. To generally be a healthier and happier person. So far so good! Working out and eating right does wonders for me mentally
    5. To be strong!!

I'm also from the Philly area, living in the burbs! :)
  • Serizan
    Serizan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi all! :)

I'm Becky from Ohio - I'm 5'2", about 135 lbs and working on healthy eating (currently doing ketogenic diet) and really focused on committing to a serious fitness routine. My current routine, which I've done before and loved, is P90X. I'm hoping to complete the 90 days!

My goals:
    1) Get down to goal weight of at least 130lbs, maybe even a few pounds under
    2) Exercise regularly, particularly strength training
    3) Increase muscle mass - as much as losing weight is neat, I'm really more focused long term on toning what I've got!

Glad to meet everyone! :D