What's happening in your life?

Options

Replies

• scsgaras
    scsgaras Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Punki - Have a great trip!!!

To all good morning! It's a beautiful day here in FL at 5am. I usually, don't know why, arise around 5am - my body just wakes up. Wish it didn't. Well, anyway, we are going to probably go for a walk today outside. My DH and I try to do that at least 2x/wk instead of going to the gym for a change of pace. I really like it but it doesn't burn enough calories. But since I weigh in every day to track fluctuations, and I am fighting a plateaued (ugh), I guess I'll walk.

Everyone else, have a great day!! Spring is coming! Travel for us begins next week. I can't wait - except for the lack of control I'll have over my exercising and eating. I'll try to stay on target though.

Toodles!! LY, scsgaras
  • Punkicoleman
    Punkicoleman Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I woke up for no good reason at 3:00 a.m., but I will go back to sleep.

Since I have been serious about losing weight, I find that I spend a lot more time cooking, both for myself and for my slim darling husband. I just fix him more of what I am eating and if he wants something fattening, he has to figure it out on his own. He really likes to cook, so it is no burden. He also eats a lot of humus and pita chips or almonds.

Last night we had salad, brussel sprouts and cod. Lately I have been washing and drying the fish, spraying it with olive oil, placing it on aluminum foil, sprinkling it with Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning and fresh lemon juice, and then closing the aluminum foil package and baking it for 15-20 minutes in the oven. It is very good. Of course, it will be nice when spring comes and we can broil fishand veggies on the grill, but for now, this is very good.

You are right, scsgaras, that it is much more difficult to control one's eating and exercisewhile traveling. On the plane, I am going to eat the caviar no matter what. I don't get it that often and the presentation on Lufthansa is amazing so I am going to indulge in that--toast and all. I will have a certain amount of freedom to cook what I want in the chalet, and the store is at the bottom of a steep hill, so just getting back home, at that high altitude is a lot of exercise. I am taking my TJ's seasoning and a small bottle of my special pinot grigio vinegar. I have already checked without hosts and they affirm that they do sell kale in the village store.

My biggest problem is that I am a really good cook and have some specialty dishes that they will want me to prepare while we are there--foremost among them being my mushroom risotto, which is totally delicious, but also very fattening. They will also serve Swiss fondue and raclette, so it will be up to me to make big salads.

Since I can't ski this year, there will be plenty of time during the day, while they are skiing, to do floor exercises for strength training, in addition to walking.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I just found this group last night, and am delighted to be in contact with people nearer me age. I'm 71 -- still working -- and trying to lose most of my extra weight before the Olympics. :wink: I also want to become fit enough to be a good ballroom dancer again. I think the reason my husband gave up dancing was my extra weight. We went to a Viennese Ball two weeks ago, and I found it so hard, after so many years of inactivity, to do the quick moves that I injured my knee (slight MCL injury - it limits my walking).

I just finished a major project at work, one that kept me up until the wee hours of the morning too often. But I have to take time for myself, for my body, and so today I am joining with you ageless beauties in this group. Then I will start a program of pushups and situps before coffee (been reading your posts Punki!), and top it off by finally treating myself to that YMCA membership I have been thinking about, talking about, coveting.
  • Punkicoleman
    Options
    Where do you live, amflautist? We too are ballroom dancers and just love it. We belong to two different clubs, each of which has 5-6 black tie dinner dances every year. We belong to another club that has 5-6 dressy, but not formal dances a year, but we never seem to be in town when they are scheduled, or else have a serious calendar conflict--busy, busy,busy. Dancing really enhances our social life. We also have a magnificent dance floor at our Elks and go every Friday night when we are home with a group of about 16 friends.

You are so right about weight affecting once dancing ability--and especially the condition of one's feet. That is one of my biggest reasons for wanting to lose weight, plus the fact that none of my gowns fit me. Well I have one black one that fits, and I change it around with different jewelry and scarves, but I am getting pretty sick of it, as, I am certain, is the entire rest of the world. I refuse, however, to buy fat clothes.

I also don't look as good as I should on the dance floor, and that is not fair to my drop-dead gorgeous husband. He is so handsome and in such amazing shape that he really deserves a beautiful partner, not a fat little butter ball in his arms.

Have you checked to see if your supplemental insurance includes Silver Sneakers? With Silver Sneakers you can belong to more than one facility and they will pay. I go to Curves every day and love the workout and the community. We have a stretch machine at our club and it is fabulous. Hubby and I are also thinking of joining another Silver Sneakers club where they have co-ed Zumba. He loves Zumba and line dancing.

It was so funny when we took our first line dance class on a cruise. We were with two other couples who are excellent dancers and they and I decided to take the line dance class that followed a rhumba class. My DH said he wasn't going to do line dancing and would just watch. After about the 4th turn, there he was. Now he is hooked and will take line dance classes on the ship, even if I don't feel like it. Of course, he then collects a brood of women who spend the entire rest of the cruise serving as his adoring fan club. Fortunately, he is a really nice man and not in the least bit vain about his looks.

OK, off to the gym for me. OBTW, I also still work at 68. Hubby turns 70 next week and tomorrow I am taking him to Switzerland so he can ski the Eiger for his birthday. He loves it.
  • amflautist
    Options
    Punki, you must be living in a major metropolis - my little home town doesn't afford so much opportunity for dancing. However, we are currently located in DC where husband has a 1-yr appointment.

My health insurance doesn't give me Silver Sneakers, but that is not limiting me. I tried Curves, but I am 6' tall, and most of the machines were adjusted for shorties. I wasn't able to get any traction on them. Plus the fact that there is no shower room there! So it will be the YMCA for machines and pool.

Oh, ballroom dresses. When we were active in a ballroom club, I had one gown. Wore it for years and years. Once hubby said, "Why don't you get a new dress for the Christmas ball?" My answer was "Tova always wears the same dress. Why can't I?" Besides, hubby is still wearing the tux he got in college, gosh how many years ago would that be? 50? I will never be able to wear the old blue gown again. It was my wedding gown - I was positively skinny - I made it and loved it! But when I lose another 20-30 #, I will buy or make another dress.

Have a wonderful time skiing in Switzerland. I made a pact with my orthopedist when he did my knees a few years back. I would give up downhill, but retain cross-country skiing.
  • Punkicoleman
    Options
    We live in Seattle and we love it. My husband loves to ski and sail and can do both every day from here. He has on occasion even done both in the same day.

We are definitely city people and love traipsing about, exploring new cities and even smaller towns, but we aren't much for camping, hiking or "nature" of any kind other than city gardening and for the time we spend in the mountains or at sea. To tell you the truth, I get a little tired of being in the mountains, but since I only go for a week at a time, I can keep myself very busy with reading, walking around the village, cooking and working on the internet. I wouldn't even go to Wengen, lovely as it is, if we didn't have wifi.

Sorry Curves doesn't work for you, but I suspect the machines are probably geared for women of average height. I know really short women also struggle. It is perfect for me--I am 5'5". Of course, I push it a lot harder than the majority of women who participate.

Do you have dance lessons available in your home town? We are so lucky to have several opportunities close by so we can constanly hone our skills. In April we will be taking Samba.

OK, I need to get back to sleep so I can get up and finalize my packing.
  • galebran
    galebran Posts: 13
    Options
    I have been reading and enjoying all your fun posts....My name is Gale and I live in the middle of most of you in North Central Oklahoma, was raised a Kansas girl. I turned 60 last May and have an awesome young at heart husband with 6 beautiful grandchildren. I am a Practice Manager (sitting at a desk :ohwell: ) for an OB/GYN. I love swimming, reading, dancing and riding my Harley.

As the years creeped up on me so did the lbs! Then 3 years ago I was on a ride with my kids and husband in Arkansas and saw several VERY overweight ladies on their bikes from behind. :blushing: I came home and swore I was NOT going to continue gaining because I did not want to look like that. AND I took 45 off with 30 to go. THEN I thought I could help it along by joining a Boot Camp last spring (guess I thought I was still 30) I was doing pretty good but started pushing to hard and injured my back and neck last summer which set me back 18.

But thanks to MFP and the YMCA pool (2 of my granddaughters go with me) and FRIENDS like you! I am down 10 with 40 to go!!

Looking forward to getting to know you better!! 10 lbs at a time!!
  • smackadoodle
    smackadoodle Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Home from my yearly St. Patrick's Day outing with my Irish friend to see The Rovers and overindulge in corned beef. OK, and alcohol. Two Clarets and a Baileys and an Irish banana drink thingy so sweet we poured it into coffee. The Rovers were singing Irish drinking songs....I could not resist.
    Does anyone know if clapping hands and swinging your head for 2 hours count as exercise?
    I hope you have lovely dreams and Punki sleeps through the night.
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Welcome. G This is a great support group and hope we all meet at the next 10 pound loss!!!!! My brother and family lived in Norman, OK for many years. Anywhere near you? Not too far from Oklahoma City.
    Good thoughts as we make the journey together.:flowerforyou:

Smackadoodle. As I look at the corned beef and cabbage in my kitchen...I say, Yes, clapping and head shaking does count.:wink:
  • Punkicoleman
    Options
    Our trip was really, really good and, as promised, I ate all of the caviar they would give me. Oh I do so dealy love that stuff. :love:

I had been perfect for 2 solid months dreaming of that caviar and I don't feel even a little bit guilty about it or the iced vodka that came with it, or the wine.

Since my caviar indulgence, I have had two salads and stopped at the CO-OP on the way to the chalet and bought a bunch of veggies and tuna to keep me on the straight and narrow while I am here. It is quite hike down to (and especially back up from) the village. I plan to do a lot of floor exercises and walking so I can arrive back home at the same weight (or maybe even less) as when I left.

We get back on the 24th and then I start the huge push to lose ten more pounds by April 28th. That will take some very serious effort and I don't want to make that job even harder by gaining on this trip. I absolutely must fit into my wonderful cruise clothes by the end of April.

BTW, does anybody know how to post pictures within a post? If I knew how, I would post a picture of my caviar. I put one in my pictures, but can't link it here.
  • smackadoodle
    smackadoodle Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thinking photos of you eating caviar while you find out if you can post them.
    :drinker:
  • amflautist
    Options
    265441_2452.jpg

I linked to your profile picture of your caviar. Looks luscious. That's one hunka munka load of caviar.
  • amflautist
    Options
    Punki, here is how to do it:
    1. Click on your picture of caviar in your profile photos - to enlarge it.
    2. Right click on the enlarged pic of caviar, and select "Copy image URL"
    3. Go to the place where you are creating your post.
    a. Type [ img ] WITHOUT the spaces between the brackets and the work img - I dare not do it here!
    b. Right click again and this time select "Paste" The URL that you have copied will be inserted.
    c. Type [ /img ] WITHOUT the spaces.

The word img in brackets means start-the-image, /img inside brackets means end-the-image.

That's it!
  • Punkicoleman
    Options
    Thanks, amflautist. Do you know a way to attach it directly from my photos or do I have to first upload it to my myfitness pics?

Oh yes, they were extremely generous with the caviar, which will also be served on our return flight from Frankfurt to Seattle. I will have to be very good between now and then in order to justify another huge helping.

"If"-"then" thinking works pretty well for me. "If" I am very good throughout the trip, "then" I can have caviar on my return.

I can't explain how it didn't occur to me that "if" I eat too much and don't work out, "then" I will get fat and squashy. :tongue:

In truth and in fact the 18 pounds that I lost came on as the result of illness and forced inactivity. Also when I am really sick, I can't get up the energy to care if I am getting fat.

Now the remaing 20 that I am hoping to lose by September, were just the result of eating too much because I was still going to the gym 5 days a week while I was gaining them. I guess the good thing is that that makes recovering my muscle tone easier.
  • graycatbird
    graycatbird Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! I just caught up reading the posts -- didn't get on here during the week. Punki, your trip sounds really fun. Great to have the ability to cook while you're away! That must make it so much easier to control what you're eating. I loved the photo of the caviar.

Smackadoodle, I admire you for gaining control of the Girl Scout cookies and using them as a positive element in your program! That's what I PLANNED to do when I bought them, but it didn't quite work out that way. Maybe after I'm more used to eating in a moderate way, I can revisit the GS cookies. The parent of the Girl Scout I bought them from had some extra boxes in his office (he's a co-worker) the other day, and I let the opportunity go by. Didn't feel mentally prepared to deal with them again!

Welcome to the group, amflautist and Gale! Amflautist, do you play the flute?

Went to a step aerobics class this morning and was struggling a bit because of my weight. A couple of years ago I was doing really well in the classes; I was down to a decent weight for me, I'd been there long enough to know the steps and patterns, and I felt a little like I was flying over and across the board. Now in the class I'm winded and my muscles are fatiqued, and I keep looking at the clock to see when the class is going to end. That's no good! That should be motivation enough for me to eat sensibly.

It's warm and gorgeous here today. I've got daffodils, tulips, and a few perennials up in the yard. Crocuses are blooming! I'm so happy to have spring finally be here, even though it was a very easy winter.

Have a great Sunday, everyone!

Sue
    Graycatbird
  • Punkicoleman
    Options
    Sue, it is sad indeed how quickly we deteriorate as we get older. Fortunately, that muscle memory is still there and it does not take all that long to get back into exercise.

I have been a very good girl all day. Tonight we are having cheese fondue, which I will eat with veggies since cheese is ok for my low-carb program.
  • amflautist
    Options
    Thanks, amflautist. Do you know a way to attach it directly from my photos or do I have to first upload it to my myfitness pics?

Punki, I am pretty sure you need to upload your photos to someplace on the web first, then link to them as described. I read that lots of people upload to photobucket, but I have never done that.
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon, Evening or Morning all,

I am posting my day as it is getting to be a habit that I'm going to have to try to break. :noway: I love my husband, however, when he goes to town to "help" me, sometimes I want to put a for sale sign around his neck. There isn't anything he can't do. He really is an amazing man. :heart: Now for the BUT. When we go to town to pick things up, it would be quicker and easier if I could pick up things that he is wanting to buy. So here goes. You can shake your heads or laugh if you want, I just have to get it out of my system.

First I had a Doctors appointment. So far so good. He stayed in the car and waited. Then we went to Wal-Mart. We went from one end of Wal-Mart to the other. Vegies in front, Milk in rear. Elec. cords at other end (swear it was 2 miles) and even further was the Penzoil and Oil. Then back to grocery end because I had more than 20 items. All the quick check outs at the end where the oil was.:grumble: We or I usually park far out in the parking lot so I get in some walking. Today that was a mistake. By now my back is screaming.

We then went to PetCo for stuff for the dogs. Zukes was at the back of store with "natural" dog items. I picked up a big bag then asked a clerk where teeth cleaning spray was.:bigsmile: She said up at the dogie salon. So I walked to the front of the store where the salon was. Oh no, they don't sell it there. It's at the back of the store on the Right Hand side from the natural dog stuff. So back to the back of the store again. By then my back is really screaming. When I get there the shelf was empty. The delivery is tomorrow. By then my knee is starting to hurt. (They need carpet in these stores for the old folks with bad backs and knees.) I get out to the car to head to the pharmacy to pick up my prescription and my husband said he wanted to stop at Home Depot first. Ok, no problem it's right across from PetCo. . Ok, he needs something for an antique hanging lamp he is restoring and couldn't find it at Wal-Mart. Of course, We go in and the item he needs is at the back of the store in electric. On our way, I see some carpet cleaner that I want and forgot to pick up at Wal-Mart. I stop to pick it up off the shelf and look up and he is GONE. Ok, so I head back to electric. My walking is getting slower and slower as my back is hurting and my knee is also screaming now. So I get to electric and no hubby. Now I figure he must have gotten what he wanted and headed up to pay for it. I go up a few isles looking for him just in case. Nope. I get to the front and he's not up there either. I think he must have finished and headed out to the car. I take my carpet cleaner and head out to the parking lot. It's pretty crowded so we had to park clear out at the garden end. More walking. Can't say I didn't get my exercise. Oh,Oh he's not in the car, so back to the store to see if maybe he didn't have enough cash or something. Low and behold he is coming out the exit as I hit the entrance. Thank goodness I saw him before I went in. He "picked" up a few things in hardware that he wanted. Only isle I didn't look down.

So now we are on our way, hit the freeway and off we go. We get up the freeway about a mile and he wants to stop at Fastenal. It's a place that caters to machines, drill presses etc. A guy place. So we pull off the freeway and start over the bridge and there are police all over the place. Lights flashing etc. We get around them and make a quick stop so he can get his special bolt and back on the freeway.

We get to the pharmacy and there is a line of 7 or 8. By now my back and feet are calling me names. I get the prescription and go back to the car. Ok, now home? Right?? Noooooo, he wants to stop to buy a Lottery ticket. (I hate them and think they are a waste of money), but it's his money. So we go home the long way through California so he can get his ticket. It's only 7 miles more to go through Calif., we live in Nevada near the border anyway.

Now mind you he went in to help me. Right? The only place he went in with me was Wal-Mart and he walks slower than I so that slowed me down. The rest of the time except for Home Depot he waited in the car.

So now you know why I am going to hang a FOR SALE sign around his neck. Of course we won't mention the times when he wanted to hang that sign around my neck. I guess we'll keep each other. :wink: You kind of get used to each other after 54 years.

Actually, it was a beautiful day. Bright blue sky, Big fluffy clouds and 62 degrees. Two doggies met us at the gate when we got home with wagging tails and wet tongues a lickin. Can't be all bad.

So that was my exercise for today. I refuse to mention the eating. :blushing:

I truly hope everyone else had a wonderful day.

Ginny:flowerforyou:
  • Punkicoleman
    Options
    Ginny, what does the doctor say about your back and knees? I have arthritis in my L5 disk, my left knee, and my feet, which is one of the big reasons I need to lose weight quickly--the other is just plain vanity. :smooched: Just losing these past 18 pounds has made a world of difference. I think I will let my back and my feet decide my perfect weight.

I have found that walking is way easier than standing. The bottom line is that the more we move, the more we can move. Basic truth.

OK, time for me to go back to bed. Tomorrow we are moving to Zurich where we will be tourists for a couple of days.

Eat well and move a lot. :love:
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hi Punki,

I hope you had a nice rest in anticipation of your trip to Zurich. The doctor said that my back pain is due to bone on bone.:cry: My lumbar area has, for want of a better word, hardened cushioning between the discs. No nerve damage just bone on bone. That's the lower back. Yes, it is much more painful to stand than walk, sometimes. If it gets too bad I do have to sit down to relieve it. My upper back between the shoulder blades is painful at times too. That is due I'm told to my Hypothyroidism. I also think it is due to a weak core.:blushing:: I know my knee is just that my muscles don't support the replaced knee.

Actually, my arthritis has improved since I had part of my thyroid and one parathyroid removed. My endo. told me it would as a lot of people think their arthritis causes some of their pain and it's their thyroid not working correctly. So I am working on getting thyroid medications normalized.:smile:

Moving, yes it is so important. Both my parents were very active, hiking, horseback riding, gardening etc. So we were raised that way. I have been in sports of some kind most of my life. It's very hard for me to go at exercise in a what, umm sensible way? I tend to really go for it. For the most part, I don't have an issue with getting out of breath no matter what exercise I do. I'm in good shape that way. Most of it is the ole body just won't go as it used to. lol.

I have been using my stationary bike for exercise. I started out doing easy level 1. After a week I went to level 2 , then another week and started the level 3 interval training. According to my son, who is into running and strength training, he says I went too fast. Should have done 1 month each before moving on. So I payed for it. Now I'm back to walking, I like it better anyway, in hopes of working up to a higher level and more mileage walking. I also know when I lose weight I will put less pressure on my discs and knee.

So you are doing great with the walking. :love: I do take arthritis medicine but just a small amount. Most of the pain in my back can be relieved, right now, by sitting down for a few minutes. I did walk, circled, the perimeter of our yard this morning with the dogs. It's about 2 acres up and down the hills. Not much, but it counts. Besides the dogs love it. We throw sticks and climb rocks and play chase around bushes. I like the uneven ground as it helps with my balance. I just do it a little slower now.

Have a great time in Zurich and keep us up on all your fun and adventures.

Bet ya didn't think you were going to get a book huh? :noway:

Take care, eat well, enjoy yourself.

Ginny:flowerforyou: