YOGA

Options
esteelewis
esteelewis Posts: 96 Member
Have any of you tried Yoga?

I have been too afraid to try it because 1) I am not flexible and 2) I am over 300 lbs.

I am too afraid that I won't be able to do the poses (which look to be exceedingly difficult if you are overweight). Just wondering if any other 300+ gals/guys have tried it and what your thoughts are? Were you able to actually do the poses? Did you enjoy it? Was it relaxing or just a difficult and stressful?

Thoughts?

Replies

• misswallie2u
    misswallie2u Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I feel the way you do on this... I think I am to big to try it. (guess i'm afraid of failing or just looking plain silly trying to do the poses)

curious to see what others say...
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I tried yoga at 400 lbs. It's ok with an instructor who can adapt, and with a beginner class that doesn't mind learning the variations you need. I did fine with yoga until they changed instructor to a less experienced person who struggled to adapt to me. Now I do pilates, with a wonderful instructor who can handle people who come in on crutches.. people who can't lie down flat... people who struggle to get up off of the floor.. people who can't kneel... you name it, she has a way around it. I love my pilates now!

I'm still 350 lbs.. but now I don't have problems doing any of those things. I can even touch my toes!
  • esteelewis
    Options
    I tried yoga at 400 lbs. It's ok with an instructor who can adapt, and with a beginner class that doesn't mind learning the variations you need. I did fine with yoga until they changed instructor to a less experienced person who struggled to adapt to me. Now I do pilates, with a wonderful instructor who can handle people who come in on crutches.. people who can't lie down flat... people who struggle to get up off of the floor.. people who can't kneel... you name it, she has a way around it. I love my pilates now!

I'm still 350 lbs.. but now I don't have problems doing any of those things. I can even touch my toes!

Thanks that is very helpful. Maybe I will look into pilates now that you talk about it. I have the same problems that you did when started...so maybe i just need to keep trying until I increase my strength and flexibility. But perhaps for now I will do something other than yoga.
  • StrongHeart
    StrongHeart Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I wish I could find an instructor like that around my area. It is so sad - no one seems to be willing to learn how to deal with people over 300 pounds - none of the instructors I know (not even the ones at Life Fit) seem to want to take the time to find a way to adapt the Yoga or Pilates exercises to accommodate people who are my size. I need to improve my flexibility and balance, but I have no idea how I am going to do that until I am below 300 :brokenheart:
  • missmgray
    missmgray Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have done yoga before. It was fun but way harder (for me) than I thought it would be. Not because I was unable to do the poses or other movements but holding them for as long as we were instructed to was HARD!! But, I went with my thin best friend who walked out of the class before the end for the same reason. I think I would like to try it again now that I have made peace with the idea that yoga is truly exercise!
  • bamajes
    bamajes Posts: 24
    Options
    I thought the same thing. I have a 10 year old daughter who needed to work on her flexibility for karate so I bought her a "yoga for preteens" style dvd. I have started doing it with her. It is a scaled down version of adult yoga. I don't think it's a strenuous as the full yoga programs but I seem to be able to do most of the stretches. Plus it's a healthy and fun way to spend with my daughter. The first few times we did it together we both collapsed in laughter several times when one of those "you want me to do what?" poses came up.
  • heatherhauptli
    heatherhauptli Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm still well over 300 and I do Yoga and Pilates. Just do what you can. Other people are going to think things anyway. Let them think. You just do you. You can start now and get flexible and have a strong core, or you can wait and the time will pass anyway. Be bold!!
  • NicolePorter76
    NicolePorter76 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am over 400 lbs and took a "Chubby Gal Yoga" class at my clients gym. It was so much fun but i just wasnt comfortable in the studio in general. So I bought Bob Harpers video "Weight Loss Yoga" Sure there are some poses I can't do yet but it definitely makes ya sweat, and I feel great when I'm done. Try it out! I bought mine on Amazon.
  • esteelewis
    Options
    Thanks! I have looked into a few of the DVDs. I will be purchasing a couple next pay day :)
  • redsohare
    redsohare Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do yoga often now, and did it at 355. It is important to find someone who can show you the proper way of the poses, but if you research some of the beginner poses they are fairly simple. But yoga is so much more than just stretching. Its meditation. Its finding strength. These are some of the major benefits.

There is a "heavyweight yoga" Dvd available. Its good, but not as good as a class.

The most important thing is to not be scared. You are making great progress. Its just another step.
  • ruckus2
    ruckus2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about yoga, but I'm afraid that I won't be able to get up off the floor...you know - I've fallen and can't get up kind of thing.
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    A decent instructor would be able to show you some poses that didn't involve the floor, until you felt comfortable.