Vitamin d supplement

Options
Hey everyone,

I recently was put on a high dose of vitamin D, because level was so low. I think it was 24, which is below the normal range. I know there have been links of vitamin deficiency to breast cancer. Whether it's true or not I don't know, but I was just curious how many of us have been diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency or if many of us are now taking a vitamin D supplement prescribed by their doctor. Both my primary care and oncologist agreed that getting the Vit D number up was a priority. Anyone else?

Rhonda

Replies

• Gorger
    Gorger Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I recently was put on a high dose of vitamin D, because level was so low. I think it was 24, which is below the normal range. I know there have been links of vitamin deficiency to breast cancer. Whether it's true or not I don't know, but I was just curious how many of us have been diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency or if many of us are now taking a vitamin D supplement prescribed by their doctor. Both my primary care and oncologist agreed that getting the Vit D number up was a priority. Anyone else?

Rhonda

Hi Rhonda
    Yes. My oncologist insists on the following:
    35 grams of dietary fibre because the estrogen is absorbed and eliminated from the gut.
    Only 6 tsp of fat a day.
    Protein of 65 gram a day
    NO herbal teas because they contain hormones
    Calcium of 1200 to 1500 a day (2500 mg is the toxicity level)
    Vitamin D of 1000 IUs a day. (people who are out of the sun get more breast cancer).
    Calcium citrate is a bit better tab ncalcium carbonate - take with food
    Coffee, (organic) and freshly ground (I have a bodum) and drank within 20 minutes of brewing is very good.
    Here is a link to coffee and breast cancer. It helps keep it away!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2011/05/11/coffee-breast-cancer.html
  • Chocomoose542
    Options
    I would be very interested in what hormones are contained in herbal teas. Soy extract, yes, but what other plants and which hormones? They would have to be biological analogs like the phytoestrogens in soy, as there are very few bioidenticals between animal and plant hormones.
  • Gorger
    Options
    The paper I was given was from the BC Cancer Agency, Care and Research, the dietitian gave it to me.

It says The following products, pills, powders, teas etc are known to contain hormones in a variety of doses and formulations (Activated 1 Nov 2002, Revised June 2005, and July 2008) It says to- Check the product label carefully as some products may contain a combination of ingredients from the list below. Other products also may contain hormones but may not have been tested.

Natural Health Products (supplements) that contain hormones:
    (does not include food sources)
    African Wild Potato
    Aletris
    Alfalfa
    Androstenedione
    Anise
    Asparagus racemosus
    Beta-sitosterols
    Bitter yam
    Black cohosh
    Blue Cohosh
    Black Currant
    Bladderwarck
    Boron
    Burdock
    Chasteberry
    Chrysin
    Cola Nut
    DHEA
    Dong Quai
    Dyer's Broom
    Epimedium
    Evening Primrose Oil
    Fennel
    Flaxseed( not including fax seed oil)
    Flor*Essence (contains red clover)
    Fo-ti
    Genistein (combined polysaccharide)
    German Chamomile
    Ginseng (all types)
    Guarana
    Guggul
    Hops
    Hu-Zhang
    Ipriflavone
    Job's tears
    Kudzu
    Lavender
    Licorice
    Milk Thistle
    Mountain Flax
    Oregano
    Panax (psudo ginseng)
    Pleurisy root
    Pomegranate seeds
    Pregnenolone
    Rapsberry leaf
    Red clover
    Fesveratrol/ grape seed extract
    Scarlet pimpernel
    Sage
    Schisandra
    Soy supplements
    Star Anise
    Tea tree oil
    Tinospora cordifolia
    Wild carrot
    Wild yam

Wow! I haven't even heard of half of those things on the list and it would be interesting to find out what hormones they mean, I kind of figured it means estrogen as that is what we are mostly trying to avoid. They may be referring to teas and pills for hot flashes. These may contain hormones that affect hormonal treatments such as tamoxifen it says on the paper. It does say the paper was written in 2008.
    On the paper it recommends this resource - www.naturaldatabase.com I think you have to pay for that site. Or you can order The Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database by calling 1 209 472-2244
    I'd like to know about this too. Let us know what you think.

...Getting back to the D. I have upped my dosage now because apparently I survived breast cancer only to get M.S.

Welcome to the group Chocomoose. Sounds like you have some knowledge and we look forward to some tips!
    All of us are scrambling to get some understanding on all of this. I look forward to your reply.
  • Chocomoose542
    Options
    I'll have to research this, but honestly, it's going to have to wait for a bit. I have 5 "boost" or spot radiation treatments left, but right now my energy is at an all time low, my emotions are brittle and my underarm area/under breast is a ring of fire. I am being treated with a state of the art machine, but that doesn't mean that my skin is any happier for the abuse it is taking. :-/ Looking forward to feeling better and having my brain back. Oh yes, and I go to see the oncologist tomorrow so he can start me on my aromatase inhibitor treatment. I'm not too worried about side effects from that, since the crash from having my ovaries removed three years ago pretty much turned me into a Jekyll/Hyde monster so my family and friends won't be blindsided by any new changes. Onward!
  • calpollyana
    Options
    I'm not too worried about side effects from that, since the crash from having my ovaries removed three years ago pretty much turned me into a Jekyll/Hyde monster so my family and friends won't be blindsided by any new changes. Onward!

Too funny! I laughed out loud at that one!:laugh:

I'm glad you have joined the group, and I'm wishing you the best of outcomes! Really sorry to hear of your skin discomfort (understatement). I know some women who had to use a burn cream, but others who had no skin pain at all. I wonder what the deal is with the discrepancy there?
    March on to victory, fellow warrior!

Rhonda
  • Gorger
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22234628

Here's an article on breast cancer and Vitamin D that you can copy-paste into your browser to view.
    The recommended dose of Vitamin D is 4000 in adults and 2000 in children to prevent M.S and certain types of cancers according to the MS Society Website.