Any separated or divorced moms out there?

Options
So many of the threads I see talk about how wonderful and supportive husbands are. I am alone with 3 kids so I don't have a back up person.

I am lucky that my ex tries to be there when he can, but that "on the spot" help is what I miss.

How do you handle being a single mom? I'm new to this and could use all the help I can get.

Thanks!

Replies

• mnsnowflake
    mnsnowflake Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi ! Im a single mom too and its tough... I posted a similar discussion topic in Support. I turned 40 last September and my daughter is 9. We live in a very small town and she is always with me during the school year. Her dad lives in another state so I dont have that extra support with her. We play the wii together and she reads to me while I walk my treadmill. Im struggling with not putting so much emphasis on body image and losing weight.. but she could be healthier too. Its a one day at a time I think.

Feel free to add me.. we can support eadch other :)
  • langstonmom
    langstonmom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am a divorcee. And it's tough. I know that support can come in many forms and to be honest as long as it's safe and doesn't 'cost' more than I'm willing to give I take it. It's the only way I can make it in life. Hopefully we can be'friend' one another and provide more support because this is one journey I don't really think I can do alone. :smile:
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Mom of 3 - 21, 20 and 14... been single and single mom for 7 years... dad is in the area, but not much help or we have never done the every other weekend thing... he JUST started taking the 14 year old for a couple of days a week... like only in the past 3 weeks...

You adapt, you do what you have to do and go on with life! I did have family support - mom, dad, sis, brother - more emotional support for me!

I didn't have much time for anything else but the kids for many many years... and only in the past year, have I had more time to myself to date, take care of myself and exercise!!!!

Hang in there!!!!! Friend me if you like... any of you!!!!
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Hi, been on MFP for a little while now. Just starting to get the hang of it and really put forth an effort. I've been divorced for 4 years. I'm 45 and I have full custody of two boys, 19 and 15. It's tough. I try to surround myself with friends and family when I can. Feel free to add me as a friend, I'm on MFP everyday!!
  • Navy_Bean
    Navy_Bean Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am a single mom of a 9 year old and a 4 year old. I also work full time (what single mom doesn't, I guess). My ex has standard visitation, and he is good about helping, but I do get overwhelmed sometimes. It's hard to fit exercise in. I am on week 10 of Jillian Michaels Body revolution, and it has been a struggle to fit it in.
  • Navy_Bean
    Navy_Bean Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I will recommend JMBR, though, for its short duration (about 35 minutes) and good results. It is good for the busy, single mom! I can't do much more than 30 minutes a day!
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I am just recently divorced....full time mom, working, and going to school....feel free to send me a FR...any and all are welcome! :)
  • kel665
    kel665 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a single mum of 3 kids aged 23, 21 and 6. I am a stay at home mum to the 6 yr old but looking for work now she is at school full time. I have 40kg's (88lbs) to lose and would love to have some friends that can relate to my life. I want to be fit and healthy to be able to run around with my youngest daughter and join in when she wants to start playing some sports.
  • integrityblue
    integrityblue Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    hello.. new here.. Im 44 and Ive been a single mom for 10 years now.. they are aged 20, 15 and 10. I joined dietbet.com http://bit.ly/WBaGBT last month and lost almost 9 lbs! wow! Never did that before! So, I won the bet today and started the next months round. Nothing has ever boosted me so much. I also bought a fitbit although it has gotten lost in the mail. Ive been at MFP just this month, logging my food which helps a whole lot and my exercise. Love the charts. Need friends.. friends are great motivation, right? Looking forward to getting to know all of you.
  • phxdeanna
    phxdeanna Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi,
    Divorced mom of two girls - 5 and 8. Same deal here - work full time, trying to fit in time for myself always and have quality time with my girls. I've been doing Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred, but honestly, it's so boring doing the same stuff day after day, but it is quick and to the point. I have a gym membership (thank you work!!) and the girls will go to the gym with me once a week. I don't like to take them more often than that since they're in school and aftercare all week already......

I'm working out more consistently and with more effort than I ever have before, but not seeing any real movement on the scale.....<sigh>....although I do feel better about myself. I've found that I'm emotionally more stable and patient when I'm working out regularly and getting those endorphins bouncing around. And I sleep better.

Being a mom is the hardest and most rewarding job, but being a single mom is a balancing act!
    Deanna
  • Jenniferlynnmcc
    Jenniferlynnmcc Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I am a 47-year old mom of two teenage daughters: 17 and 15. Their dad and I are not through the divorce, but separated for a year. I have our girls and they spend time with him when it works out, as he is also in town. I gave myself a free pass during this past year to eat anything and not worry about it. A year later, I gained 15 lbs. So, this year I am planning to get back to pre-separation weight using MFP! I'm starting out with calorie counting, which I've never done before, and walking for exercise. I'm in the Palm Springs, CA area. Glad I found this group! :happy: Jen