Counting Calories

Options
Does everyone on MFP log in their food and count the calories?!?
I use it more for support but don't count calories. I've lost 7 pounds in 4 weeks. What I do is eat healthy foods until I am not hungry anymore, I eat when I am hungry, and I don't make myself eat if I am not hungry. I substituted my favorite foods with healthier alternatives (ice-cream for sherbet, soda for lemonade, etc). On weekends I eat out and eat whatever I want, they are my cheat days. I find that counting calories in the past for me works when dieting, but the moment I stopped the weight comes back on. It seems to me that learning to eat healthy and how to hear your body (when its hungry, when its full, what it wants) has been successful for me. My appetite has also decreased a lot because healthy foods are nutrient dense, and they will cause one to reach satiety sooner. Just wanted to see if there is anyone out there that goes about weight loss this way too. PS. the 7 pounds I lost I lost with no exercise except my 20 minute walk to work. I guess its right what they say, weight loss is 80% food, and 20% exercise!

8497718.png

Replies

• er1nya
    er1nya Posts: 87
    Options
    I was going to post something similar to this.

I used to always count calories and rely on a lot of frozen dinners like lean cuisine and 100 calorie packs to get me through the day.

A year later I have totally changed my diet. I am in the process of trying to eat as much unprocessed food as I can. I find that even cutting out a lot, but not all "processed foods" has helped me so much. Not only do I not have digestive issues anymore, but I am just not as hungry as I used to be. I eat natural foods and they keep me full. I have no desire to eat a 100 calorie pack or granola bar or whatever.

As for counting calories, I am also getting away from that. Like I only used to eat margarine but now I've substituted real butter, which of course has more calories- but i feel so much better. I am not as hungry and I just feel leaner. I've always fluctuated between 10lbs and now I'm at the bottom end of that. I don't really need to lose pounds per say, but I have always wanted to be more toned and to flatten my belly. With this new way of eating, my stomach feels so much flatter and I just feel better all over. Like a well oiled machine!

It's nice to hear someone else experiencing this!
  • vallesmines
    vallesmines Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes, I try to avoid the processed foods and go more natural. Still looking at calories on MFP, but just getting started. I only have about 5lbs to lose. I love the summary at the end of the day I can see where I'm lacking and try balance it more. Of course somedays are better than others. I find when I eat the processed foods and sugars, I am starving all day and can't get enough.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I hope to some day eat clean enough to not have to count calories, but it's been working for me so far. I know as soon as I stop counting I gain weight. I think it has more to do with the accountability of having an open diary than actually counting.
  • That1JB
    Options
    Me too. Last summer I had NO income other than food stamps. No money for Coke or take-out. I lost 20 lbs simply b/c I made everything I ate, including dough for my pizzas. I ate when I was hungry, and didn't crave. When I got back to work I got lazy and gained all plus back. I'm back to clean eating and exercise. I feel much better and am getting smaller again.

I do count my calories, both in and out. I spend my days operating my remote and mouse, I need to keep my inbound Cals low. As for burned Cals: the discrepency (sp) between MFP, my elliptical,and my pedometer means I'm just guessing.
  • Lizi19
    Lizi19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've been counting calories for over 6 months and have not skipped a day! I like to plan my meals in advance, which helps me make better choices. I've been eating more sweets lately, but I still log them. I can't imagine going a day without counting :)
  • StrawberrySt
    Options
    I've always eaten really healthy before MFP. I log everything and use it to not only keep track of calories but I look at all my other stats. It made me realise I wasn't getting enough calcium and was getting too much sodium. So I've adjusted my diet accordingly to keep these things in mind.

I check calories in things before I eat them, and have gotten quite a shock sometimes! It makes me review my choices and stops me from eating till I'm bursting full!
  • KassiV
    KassiV Posts: 28
    Options
    I logged everything religiously for a few months, then once I got used to the portion control I stopped. I haven't gained the weight back and am continuing to lose weight and tone. But the initial calorie-counting helped me get to the point where I can eyeball my portions rather than break out the measuring cups, and it seems to still be working. I eat mostly unprocessed foods, but even if I throw the occassional "cheat" item in, I'm usually able to make up for that in exercise and food choices for the rest of the day.
  • ennovi_r
    ennovi_r Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just joined, but I plan on logging in everything as I have been doing this on paper already.
    I also need to keep track of the fat I consume, I usually eat very few calories but too much fat!
  • shady81x
    shady81x Posts: 290
    Options
    Yeah I do count my calories though mostly it's based on estimation as I eat out like 3/4 of my meals. However, I don't follow the guide too obsessively - eg. if I'm hungry though am over my calorie goal I'll still eat. It's more of being accountable to myself, and in some way, that leads me to choose healthier options and skip all that fast food.
  • trina614
    trina614 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use the calories as more of a check in. I don't worry if I go out and eat a big meal one day if it balances out with how I eat the other days that week. I lost 6 lbs that way and then went on vacation and gained 2 lbs back on but that was mostly from soda and alcohol.
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Like many, I use the tools here to "re-set" my mental idea of what's "appropriate" -- but I don't sweat it if I'm "over" (I usually am). My goal is more a better fitness level and general health - and having a better understanding of what kind of caloric intake I'm looking at ("Oh, that doughnut is 350 calories. Hm. Is there something else I'd rather do with those calories, instead, that will give me greater joy?") than anything.