political question

Options
jerber160
jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
How do y'all feel about have Rick Santorum as your Catholic representative?

Replies

• jerber160
    Options
    I see!
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Canadian here. So I don`t have a say. He would make an interesting president. I like his social conservatism. He seems like a nice, sincere man who has his heart in the right place. Totally unlike The Prince by Machiavelli, so far as I can tell. Would he be like Jimmy Carter? (I liked Carter.) How is he on social justice issues?
  • khaapala
    khaapala Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I sure like him a whole lot better than some of our other so-called "Catholic" politicians.
  • Regmama
    Regmama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I like him enough that I voted for him today! His life is a testament to the values he discusses on the campaign trail. As far as his economic policy, it's geared more toward promoting the family life, which, for our society, we desperately need. I hope he beats Romney (aka, Obama-lite)
  • jerber160
    Options
    As far as his economic policy, it's geared more toward promoting the family life, which, for our society, we desperately need.
    I think his view of society is out of touch with reality. yes it would be wonderful to have 2.5 kids and 2.5 cars in a 2 parent household but the reality is that for MANY kids, they get themselves to school because mommy is on crack and they haven't got a chance. I want someone with feet on the real ground..... someone willing to deal with reality....
  • JamieSK
    JamieSK Posts: 266 Member
    Options

I REALLY like him!! I had the opportunity to meet him at a Pro-Life rally in Columbia, SC in January 2011; I find him very inspiring. I have read his book "It Takes a Family" & believe in his leadership, vision, integrity & strength of conviction to stand up for what he believes in. I truly believe he loves God & Country first & foremost.

In January I felt called to join the fight and I am a volunteer for his Presidency....he is someone I can believe in with every fiber of my being!!! :happy:
  • jerber160
    Options

I REALLY like him!! I had the opportunity to meet him at a Pro-Life rally in Columbia, SC in January 2011; I find him very inspiring.
    I met my senator at a memorial day parade (celebrating our armed service members with parades, music,, dancing in the streets) where one of his staff 'reminded' me it was a holiday for him too, and he informed me EVERYTHING had to be cut, including arts money. Where you found him inspiring, the two times I was in his presence made my skin crawl.
  • jerber160
    Options
    Oh, and one more thought,, regardless of my personal feelings for meeting him, His hand in the KStreet affair disgusted me....COMPLETELY
  • JamieSK
    Options
    Oh, and one more thought,, regardless of my personal feelings for meeting him, His hand in the KStreet affair disgusted me....COMPLETELY

So what was it you found so disgusting? You mention whatever your "personal feelings" for meeting him...did you have pure intent or was it a self serving/motivated intent?
  • jerber160
    Options

So what was it you found so disgusting? You mention whatever your "personal feelings" for meeting him...did you have pure intent or was it a self serving/motivated intent?
    I don't approve of him personally.. as a catholic he seems virulent, not involved in forgiveness.... that's my personal feeling... His K street dealings and influencing government access through contributions is reprehensible to me. do you mean am I being self serving by posting?
  • JamieSK
    Options

I don't approve of him personally.. as a catholic he seems virulent, not involved in forgiveness.... that's my personal feeling... His K street dealings and influencing government access through contributions is reprehensible to me. do you mean am I being self serving by posting?

No, I didn't mean were you being self serving by posting. What my question which I may have worded differently was it seemed you had feelings about him before you met him so were you really "open" to actually meeting him and what he has to say or did you have your own biases going into it that you were trying to serve and validate?
  • JamieSK
    Options

The thought that really comes to my mind is let he/she who is without sin cast the first stone...
  • jerber160
    Options

The thought that really comes to my mind is let he/she who is without sin cast the first stone...
    I'm not sure how this applies. I'm not running for public office... seeking to affect the lives of millions...
  • JamieSK
    Options

I'm not sure how this applies. I'm not running for public office... seeking to affect the lives of millions...

Not sure if you read the post I made above this one...It seems ironic to me that you condemn Santorum for lack of forgiveness and yet it seems to me you are judging him...I don't know what's in your heart or how your life experiences have affected you but I do know that God is the only being that knows what's in ones heart. Where is the forgiveness in your heart and mind for Santorum?

As Catholic Christians we are called to love as Jesus loves...even when we don't like someone. The fact is our lives each one of us affects many - whether it be hundreds or millions and whether we realize it or not, just because he's a politician doesn't make it any different than you or I.
  • jerber160
    Options

As Catholic Christians we are called to love as Jesus loves...even when we don't like someone. The fact is our lives each one of us affects many - whether it be hundreds or millions and whether we realize it or not, just because he's a politician doesn't make it any different than you or I.
    i disagree. those who are entrusted with more are held to a higher standard. I do agree than only God gets the final judgement. We're not talking about being judgmental, we're talking about informed voting...and I also love my one priest who preaches against using religion as a weapon to exclude or denigrate.
    http://www.politifact.com/personalities/rick-santorum/ 79% of claims at politifact get half true or less. you can determine for yourself the merit or weight of each claim as some are pretty light weight but over all catholics include 'false witness' on the list of no nos I simply do not want him representing ME again. and the first time I met him i had no idea who or what he was or what he was running for... his stand on labor turned me off
  • JuliesJourney
    JuliesJourney Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I think he is better than the other Catholic running.
  • jerber160
    Options