Hiking/Outdoor Walking?

Options
Ecomama09
Ecomama09 Posts: 31 Member
Hi there...with this weather, I have MAJOR spring fever! Anyone like hiking or walking at different parks?

Replies

• jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    Options
    I do! I'm actually in a dog/hiking group so I've done lots of hikes/walks in the area.
  • k9runner1963
    k9runner1963 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Queeny Park in West St. Louis County is one of our favorite walking places. Lots of trails, some paved, hills. Another favorite a little further out is Hawn State Park in Sainte Genevive County. Also like Pere Marquette in the Alton, IL area.

Just did an 8 mile Hawn hike this past weekend. Beautiful!
  • Gutter19
    Gutter19 Posts: 141
    Options
    I am headed to Creve Ceour tomorrow!
  • k9runner1963
    k9runner1963 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Creve Coeur is a nice park too! Forest Park for me tomorrow!
  • Gutter19
    Gutter19 Posts: 141
    Options
    Creve Coeur just happens to be a much better location for me. Now if I could just get the cyclist and roller bladers to read the signs that state it isn't a race track that would be great!
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    4 Great places I know of, depending on distance you want to go and view.
    Cliff Cave, 5.1mi paved loop.
    Meramec Trail, 2.0mi trail (4mi out and back), paved
    Arnold City Park. 5K loop with an additional 1mile loop around lake, paved
    Mastedon Park, various loops, gravel and trail/hiking
  • roxspires
    roxspires Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    West county area? any one?
  • Whart0603
    Whart0603 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Castlewood Park off of Big Bend has some good mountain biking/hiking trails, some paved, some not. I don't know how long they are though. http://mostateparks.com/park/castlewood-state-park
  • ginnyz1
    ginnyz1 Posts: 49
    Options
    The Confluence Area in North County is a great place to walk, hike, bike or run. I am there at least 5 mornings a week with Charley the Wonderdog for at least two miles. Check it out!
  • ausped
    ausped Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I also like Castlewood (although I did fall over a root there a few weeks ago)....lots of great trails.
    A little more paved (compacted dirt) is the Al Foster Trail at 109 and Old State.
    Also the Rock Hollow trail that starts by Ridge Meadows Elementary is very nice...black top but very woodsy and scenic....2.3 miles to the bottom and 2.3 miles back up to the top...
  • Whart0603
    Whart0603 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    There's also a cool trail off of 94 about 4 miles south of highway 40. There isn't really a sign for it but its a gravel parking lot just off the road. There is a 5 mile and an 8 mile hike. Not paved. It does have some very nice views of the Missouri river though.
  • cmayoung
    cmayoung Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Rockwood Reservation in Eureka or Powder Vally in Kirkwood are my favs!
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Rockwood Reservation in Eureka or Powder Vally in Kirkwood are my favs!

Try Emmenegger Nature Park for a 1 mile hike (keep going past Powder Valley and cross over I-270). You can vary it up by going both ways as it sort of makes a loop. There are no bikes allowed unlike castlewood which can be nice for hikers and dogs. The trail at Emmegger is .5 mile accessible and paved and 1 mile hiking. When you go into the park, go to your left and take the trail head to the left if you want the easier hike. If you want the more challenging hike, go to the right. For those who are unstable, trekking poles could be helpful in a few areas. We have seen people of all ages and sizes doing it.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Route 66 Park, off of Williams Rd., just east of Eureka is a great place to walk, run, hike & bike. There's practically no vehicle traffic on the paved roads, and only bikes and pedestrians on the gravel ones. You can combine any number of routes to make up the distance you want to walk/ride that day.
  • Dsmcgrail
    Options
    Check out http://www.gorctrails.com/trails/overview.asp for a long list of trails!
    It's a mountain bike group (Gateway offroad cyclists) but pretty much all the trails they build and maintain are multi-use trails.
  • CarrieStL
    CarrieStL Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Longview Farm Park- gorgeous, wooded, trails, running water, horses. At Mason and Clayton in Town & COuntry. Walked it this AM. =)
  • CathyDW95
    Options
    Anyone know of a good trail in Belleville area? I mean besides the Metro Bike / Greenway trails. :)
  • Jmbean84
    Jmbean84 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I am headed to Creve Ceour tomorrow!
    Do you come out to creve coeur park often? I love it but don't really like walking by myself. Or do you run?
  • Jmbean84
    Jmbean84 Posts: 261 Member
    Options

I'm in creve coeur
  • CathyDW95
    Options
    Pickle Springs off of Route 55 south. Been years since I was last there. Keep wanting to go back, but never find the time to go. I think it's roughly an hour south of Belleville (where I live). I'd have to look on a map to get a more specific location for it. I recall that it was just beautiful to walk through. Made quite an impression on me, apparently!