Cold Weather Biking

Options
davidpm
davidpm Posts: 208 Member
I'd love to keep cycling through the cold weather in preparation for eventually doing a century in the spring/summer of 2012. I went out a few weeks ago when it was in the 40s and completed an 18 miler, but it was a miserable ride because my face and hands were so cold.

Any suggestions on how to keep riding through the winter? Are spin classes the best alternative?

Replies

• evil_rider
    Options
    You should head on in to your local bike shop and get some cold weather gear (leg warmers, gloves, balaclava, booties, jacket, vest, etc......)

I use my trainer during the winter months but only as a last option..........

good luck man.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    As long as the roads are clear I'll ride, almost regardless of temp. Having the right clothing is obviously the key.

Craft and Ibex both make great gear... pricey, but well worth it IMO.

I generally layer rather than have dedicated cold and super cold clothes/outfits... I find it's easier to be comfortable (i.e. not too hot, not too cold). I've got 4 pairs of tights (from thin to heavy and windproof), a ton of shirts, and a few jackets. I've got a balaclava and a thin wool hat that fit under my helmet. Sunglasses to protect my eyes, gloves and booties to keep my feet dry and warm. Most of it can also be worn for running, sledding with my kids, shoveling the driveway, skiing, etc, so it gets a lot of use.

When it really starts to get cold, wind is a bigger concern (and harder to deal with) than is the actual temperature, so make sure you get some layers that will block the wind. A good outdoor/running/biking store should be able to steer you in the right direction. Or pick a few reputable brands, go to their website and see what the offer.

• jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    ^^^^
    Yep.

Wicking underlayers are IMO much more important during the winter than in the summer. Personally, I'll ride down to temps of around 40 or so, and then just go out and run when it's colder. I find it easier to stay warm when running, because there are no 30 MPH descents while running.

When it's really cold or windy, I head to the gym to run on the dreadmill.
  • h0m36r0wn
    Options
    Some friends and I went out for 11+ miles just before Christmas in 22F weather - brutal but we survived. I wore a short neoprene wet suit under my usual cold weather gear - long riding pants and shirt, Kali knee pads, cargo shorts on top, Marmot DriClime Catalyst Jacket, full finger gloves (Mechanix Mpact 3), Biker's windproof balaclava (same one I wear riding my motorcycle), and since I don't have shoe covers - some duct tape to cover up the vents so my feet don't fall off!
    Since then I invested in a trainer from www.1upusa.com - not the cheapest, but by far the best bang for your buck and I know that after my wallet recovers from the pain, I'll be happy with it for years to come.
  • TRHuston
    TRHuston Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have solved your problem yet, but here's a little more info. I live in Minneapolis and bike year round, so that can give you an idea of the conditions I deal with.
    I would say the most important piece of clothing to wear during winter riding is your base layer. I prefer lightweight wool (Smartwool, Ibex, etc). Natural fibers help wick moisture away from your skin and keep you warm and dry. If you wear cotton, it will become saturated if you are really exerting yourself and you will freeze if you stop for anything.
    Also, hands and feet have to be kept happy too. My advice, neoprene shoe covers, or if you get caught with out on a day that the temp drops or it becomes windy, you can use plastic bags in a pinch to put over your toes (inside your shoes).
    For hands, I always carry a selection in my bag ranging from my lightweight mountain bike gloves to my super toasty lobster claws. (My hands always tend to be too warm, so less is more for me).
    I hope this helps you out and keeps you peddaling. As we say in Minnesota, there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing. Cheers!
  • bigsexay157
    Options
    As others have mentioned, I'm a huge fan of the layering. I typically have a tighter layer of clothing underneath that is windproof, a t-shirt over that, long sleeved shirt, and some sort of pull over jacket. I have found that this maintains my heat real well as well as prevents that bitter cold from affecting my core. I have wind proof Mosimo gloves that work amazingly well.....to the point that my hands can get sweaty underneath by the end of my ride. I haven't found anything that works real well on my face yet......so I just sort of deal with the cold so far. Good luck on your options!!
  • bigsexay157
    Options
    As others have mentioned, I'm a huge fan of the layering. I typically have a tighter layer of clothing underneath that is windproof, a t-shirt over that, long sleeved shirt, and some sort of pull over jacket. I have found that this maintains my heat real well as well as prevents that bitter cold from affecting my core. I have wind proof Mosimo gloves that work amazingly well.....to the point that my hands can get sweaty underneath by the end of my ride. I haven't found anything that works real well on my face yet......so I just sort of deal with the cold so far. Good luck on your options!!
  • NiallWallace
    NiallWallace Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Combining a Buff set ups as a balaclava and bike glasses with clear lenses in give fairly good facial coverage.