The New Doctor Who Companion

Options
So Jenna-Louise Coleman will be replacing Karen Gillan (Amy Pond) as the new Doctor Who companion in the 2012 Christmas special.

mv5bmtuwodm0ndg1mf5bml5banbnxkftztcwntcwmtk2mw@@._v1._sx640_sy956__large.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/bulletin_120321_02/Jenna-Louise_Coleman_Announced_as_New_Companion

Thoughts?

Replies

• ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    She better have a Scottish brogue!!!!
  • StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    She better have a Scottish brogue!!!!
    Do you mean shoes or accent? lol
    She definitely doesn't have a Scottish accent, at least not "in real life". She's from Lancashire.

She's a pretty good actress so it'll be interesting!
  • cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    This may be a stupid question... as I'm fairly new to LOVING Doctor Who... just started watching it last fall but completely in love with it...

Will Amy/Rory be around part of the season? I'm not sure where in the season the Christmas episode falls lol I thought I had seen pictures of The Doctor and Amy in some western looking town lol
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Well I'm going to miss Amy. And Rory became a stronger and better character the more he was used (fav scene is " I have a message and a question. A message from the Doctor, and a question from me...Where is my wife")

Jenna-Louise Coleman looks cute and by all accounts is a good actress but I've not seen any of her stuff. So, let's see how it pans out.
  • StephTink76
    StephTink76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    This may be a stupid question... as I'm fairly new to LOVING Doctor Who... just started watching it last fall but completely in love with it...

Will Amy/Rory be around part of the season? I'm not sure where in the season the Christmas episode falls lol I thought I had seen pictures of The Doctor and Amy in some western looking town lol

I think the Christmas episode is the 6th or 7th so we'll have Amy and Rory for 5 or 6 episodes...
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I think the Christmas episode is the 6th or 7th so we'll have Amy and Rory for 5 or 6 episodes...

Yeah Moffatt confirmed the first 5 episodes will have them. I am slightly concerned about something he said in regards to them leaving the show, but I will not share it here as it is a spoiler. Though it's pretty easy to google. :P
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I :heart::heart::heart: Rory! And Amy too. But mostly Rory :tongue:

But the show has always had a revolving cast. I was sad when Rose left too, and :sad: during David Tennant's last episode. So I'll try to reserve judgement.
  • cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options

But the show has always had a revolving cast. I was sad when Rose left too, and :sad: during David Tennant's last episode. So I'll try to reserve judgement.

Good lord weren't we all lol I can't watch those episodes without crying
  • Aperture_Science
    Options
    Yeah Moffatt confirmed the first 5 episodes will have them. I am slightly concerned about something he said in regards to them leaving the show, but I will not share it here as it is a spoiler. Though it's pretty easy to google. :P

He tweeted the comment also.
  • katsten
    katsten Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When David left and I watched the first episode with Matt, I told my husband I didn't want to watch it anymore.....they changed everything!!!! I'm glad I gave it a chance tho! Cant wait till it comes back on! Going to miss Amy and Rory tho.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Matt got a whole lot better after time, you should give him another chance.
  • pinuplove
    Options
    When David left and I watched the first episode with Matt, I told my husband I didn't want to watch it anymore.....they changed everything!!!! I'm glad I gave it a chance tho! Cant wait till it comes back on! Going to miss Amy and Rory tho.

I was the same way. Fish fingers and custard! Throwing food around! Urgh, so wrong. But now I think he's adorable :smile:
  • katsten
    katsten Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It wasn't just the new doctor, it was the fact that they changed the opening to the show, the theme music, the TARDIS, and the sonic screwdriver! Everything I loved about the show was gone! Now tho, I can't imagine not having watched it, after all, "Bow ties are cool" :-)
  • Aperture_Science
    Options
    If the Tennant to Smith change upset you then beware! The changes will continue!

Doctor Who has always changed and will continue to do so. Each new Doctor gets a new look, personality, Tardis, screwdriver etc. This has happened to a lesser or greater extent at every regeneration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_screwdriver
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TARDIS

Earlier Doctors have owned other gadgets (The Tom Baker mentions having a Sonic spanner) and a couple of Doctors have owned cars.

<Please note: I'm no Dr Who expert... I like the show and have watched it since the 70s, but I'm no expert on it, but I'm surrounded by Whovians who debate the details of each episode, radio show and book... some of it rubs off>

There is a feature length film in the planning stages which Moffat and Davies have commented upon (to support the rumors): http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15730665

expect significant changes when that comes out (to delight and upset in equal measure).
  • pinuplove
    Options
    Tennant ---> Smith only upset me because I might have thought David Tennant was a teeny bit hot :tongue: I was unfairly biased against Matt for taking away my eye candy :laugh:
  • StephTink76
    StephTink76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options

I've seen them too many times to count and I still cry!!

David Tennant is amazing (and more than a teeny bit hot)!!
  • TurboChels
    TurboChels Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I was exactly the same way! No Rose! No David! I feel like a good cry I watch Series 4 "Journeys End" and "The Next Doctor"

tumblr_lllk5h3O9z1qdmfwso1_500.gif

But I must say I'm very excited for the changes !
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options
    I was exactly the same way! No Rose! No David! I feel like a good cry I watch Series 4 "Journeys End" and "The Next Doctor"

tumblr_lllk5h3O9z1qdmfwso1_500.gif

But I must say I'm very excited for the changes !

God that was a powerful scene, the whole lead up to it had me tearing up especially while walking back to the Tardis in pain. As good as the acting was the music was amazing in the whole episode.
  • TurboChels
    TurboChels Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You know I've never paid a lot of attention to the music in that episode. Oh darn I'll have to watch it one more time to listen to the music :) Do they sell Doctor Who soundtracks ?
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options
    You know I've never paid a lot of attention to the music in that episode. Oh darn I'll have to watch it one more time to listen to the music :) Do they sell Doctor Who soundtracks ?

I believe they do actually, check on youtube for David's final scenes and close your eyes to listen to the music..it will blow your mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BytKy54jVYA&amp;feature=related

At 2:20 I get chills every single time!!