Quick question re raising cals.

Options
Hi,

Started a few days eating my increased cals allowance. It's brilliant!

However I read on another thread that the cals should be increased gradually by 200 per day until you get to goal. Is this right?

I just jumped straight from 1200 to 1780 per day.... was this wrong and should I have increased slowly until I was eating the max daily cals allowance?

Or am I talking absolute nonsense and imagined the whole 200 increase per day thing...

TIA!

Replies

• MusicalRunner
    Options
    Right, think I've found the answer from reading loads of posts on here.

I think what you have said is that, if the difference between what I was eating (approx 1200 cals) is more than 500 from what my goal weight total cals should be (1765) then I should increase gradually by 200/week. This is so my body doesn't grab onto the excess and store it (which it might do if it thinks it has been starved up to now). Raising my cals gradually will help my body realise that these extra calories are going to be regular so it can raise its metabolism happily.

Have I got that right? So I should go back down from 1765 to 1400 for this week? Then raise to 1600 next week?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Right, think I've found the answer from reading loads of posts on here.

I think what you have said is that, if the difference between what I was eating (approx 1200 cals) is more than 500 from what my goal weight total cals should be (1765) then I should increase gradually by 200/week. This is so my body doesn't grab onto the excess and store it (which it might do if it thinks it has been starved up to now). Raising my cals gradually will help my body realise that these extra calories are going to be regular so it can raise its metabolism happily.

Have I got that right? So I should go back down from 1765 to 1400 for this week? Then raise to 1600 next week?

Correct method that usually works best.

I wouldn't worry about changing the goal value, you'll just be leaving some in the green. Just the mental note that you have 1400 this week. Then 1600. Then goal.
    Since you are going up, might be mentally encouraging to think, well, I'm not eating them all yet!

Besides, that way you can see how many of your friends say "great job" when you eat under your goal, and see how many are concerned that you missed it by 365 every day for the first week.
    I'd actually be curious how many say something out of how many on your friends list.
  • MusicalRunner
    Options
    Hehe, will keep a running total and report back!

Thanks for your help, again.