Success with PCOS?

Options
I started MFP in January and I have been successful in losing 30lbs so far. I have been with my husband for 10 years and we want to have children so bad! My main goal this year is to get the weight off and have a normal healthy BMI. I have a long road ahead of me but I see that with exercise, counting calories and making healthier choices its really changing my body and the way that I feel. Before starting MFP I didnt have a period for 3 months. As soon as I started exercising and losing weight I started my period and now I cant get rid of it. I guess the only choice I have is to start taking birth control again. I was really hoping that it would just stop on its on since I have lost weight. Im really looking into natural remedies. I have heard about cinnamon and B complex. Has anyone else had a similar problem and any suggestions will be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• annatin1018
    Options
    Metformin is awesome. 1. helps you lose weight. 2. helps with fertility. 3. helps regulate your cycles. 4. helps cut out carb cravings. I just started back, so I am excited about experiencing these again.
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Metformin is awesome. 1. helps you lose weight. 2. helps with fertility. 3. helps regulate your cycles. 4. helps cut out carb cravings. I just started back, so I am excited about experiencing these again.
    I agree ..without metformin I dont have a normal cycle and it is impossible for me to lose weight.
  • Moin78
    Moin78 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I could not stand metformin. I had horrid pains in my abdomen, diarrhea, and other symptoms, so I quit taking it. I know it works for some people, but not for me. I am going to do everything I can to lose weight in order to let my body perhaps regulate itself. Another reason I do not like metformin is what my reproductive endocrinologist told me and that is that he would never put someone on metformin that was not diabetic because that is what the drug was designed for. If I feel the need to have a period, I take prometrium.

By the way, I've been more regular with my periods since stopping metformin than when I was on it. However, like I said before, it seems to work for some people and not for others.
  • annatin1018
    Options
    Being insulin resistant is being insulin resistant. I do not agree with your doctor, I have had too many doctors that are pro metformin....sorry.
  • brittlynn07
    brittlynn07 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    @moin78 metformin didn't work for me either. I was sick all the time and couldn't eat hardly anything at all.

I get a period by being on birth control. I'm going back to the doctor on Friday to discuss some more options because I'm struggling to lose weight.
  • row_rivers
    row_rivers Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i actually lost weight without metformin. it's possible. i don't know how much easier it would have been for me if i had taken it though...
  • row_rivers
    row_rivers Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Being insulin resistant is being insulin resistant. I do not agree with your doctor, I have had too many doctors that are pro metformin....sorry.

insulin resistance has degrees. a lot of doctors are pro-metformin because they want fast results. others are more worried about the fact that once you start, it will be hard to stop. i don't mean addiction, i mean maintenance. also, prolonged use of metformin can suppress your liver's function.
    the best way (also the most difficult) to control PCOS is with natural weight loss. but if some people can't do it, then the benefits of metformin outweigh the consequences.
    that's why some doctors prescribe it right away and others wait until you really need it. they have different degrees of judging the need for metformin.
  • Honeybaby99
    Options
    I have PCOS which was diagnosed back in 2003. My GP put me on a combination of Metformin and Provera and it helped to regulate my periods and help me to lose the 9 stone I had to lose at that time. When reached my goal weight I came off medicaton in order for my body to regulate itself and within 6 months I fell pregnant with my DD who arrived in 2005.

Over a 5 year period I put on 7 stone and in 2010 decided to lose the weight naturally and WITHOUT medication. I told my GP this and he was very supportive and advised me that now more research had been done on the subject of PCOS the benefits of the current medication were also being reviewed and revised, it is still a very misunderstood field.

However, everyone is different and we all react to medication in very different ways I personally chose not take it and joined a WW group instead, I didn't know about this site then. It took a year of hard work but I successfully lost the 7 stone I had put on and have now been maintaining my weight since last July.

In my opinion you can lose weight with PCOS you may just find it takes a little longer than you would want it to.
  • annatin1018
    Options
    Low carb is always the best lifestyle for PCOS with or without meds. Hard for me to stick to, I'd just rather eat what I want and count calories.....I hate PCOS it makes everything so much more difficult
  • bhug918
    bhug918 Posts: 23
    Options
    I was so sick on the Metformin. I quit taking it alittle over 3yrs ago when I became pregnant (with follicle testing, clomid, and prometrium). Now I am wanting to take off this inner tube around my waist that just seems to get bigger and bigger each year. I am sick of it and ready for a change. I'm looking for some great success stories to keep me going since losing weight with PCOS is twice as hard.
  • angelabirkheadflight
    Options
    I too was sick with metformin, but did better on the extended release formula.

Those of you who have successfully lost weight with PCOS, what settings worked for you? How many calories, how many carbs, fat, protein, etc?

Some of the chat groups advocate eating the number of calories that MFP gives you, but I've done that for weeks now and have seen no results.
  • Sheilav330
    Sheilav330 Posts: 57
    Options
    I got diagnosed in november...and been on metformin since but im only on a low dose once a day 500mg i normally would get period but i just don't ovulate..and have so much trouble loosing weight...ive lost 6lbs in 4 or 5 weeks its a very slow process but the diet and exercise is helping regulate my hormones and so is the met. im so struggling right now is not even funny but in time ill drop these 14lbs
  • Chiema
    Chiema Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP and this the first group I joined. I was diagnosed with PCOS 4 years ago by a fertitlity doctor. I was taking fertitlity treatments for 10 months...then I got pregnant!! I have a beautiful 2 year old little boy! During my treatments, pregnancy and even now I have been very overweight. My point being is even though it is healthy to lose the weight before pregnancy it is possible to get pregnant and be overweight. I will say in reply to an earlier post concerning an on going period. Six years ago I had lost 60 lbs (which I have since gained most back) and I started my period that lasted for about 5 months. It was never a heavy period, just persistent and irritating.
  • qtesnowd
    qtesnowd Posts: 3
    Options
    I've had PCOS since I was 18 but was only diagnosed with it about 10 years ago (I'm 37). I have all the symptoms - the insulin resistance, period issues, unwanted hair, etc. Just joined MFP tonight hoping it will help me lose the almost 50 pounds I want to lose so hopefully I'll be able to have a baby before I get too old!
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I am pretty certain I have had PCOS symptoms since I went through puberty (9 yrs old). I would have one period and then not again for months and then have like 3 in a row a week apart. I was diagnosed at age 18 when I started to have digestive problems and wouldn't/couldn't eat due to pain! I lost 30-40 lbs in less than a month and wasn't healthy at all. After going to several doctors it was decided to remove my gall bladder to see if that would help. It didn't do much except keeping me from eating anything with fat. About 6 months later they finally tested my hormone levels. If they hadn't checked then I would have gone through menopause by age 20 they said because my ovaries were shutting down due to extreme excess hormones. Fast forward to present day: I am still struggling with my period even though I am on BC. I have tried losing weight on my own in every possible way. From low fat to low cal to low carb diets to exercising everyday. I have a very active job and burn between 800-1000 cal per day. I have been on Spiro and metformin before and nothing happened. I am just slowly gaining more weight. During my last dr appt they decided to do more blood work and put me back on metformin and I'm trying a high protein/low carb diet now. Has anyone seen success with this combo? I'm growing discouraged after working so hard for so many years.