What does 180lbs look like?

Options
Givemewings
Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
I was just reading a post on forums from a woman who had lost 60 lbs and was now 180. She wasn't massively tall at 5 ft 7 , but it got me too thinking how rude people can be. Someone commented. Wow...But you don't look180! Do they realise how rude it seems? It reminded me why I try not to tell people my weight. I just end up feeling like an elephant, because people are always surprised at how heavy you are.

Replies

• MamaLutt
    MamaLutt Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean! My initial goal is 184 (top end of normal) and then I'll reassess and decide where I want to end up. I'm not telling most people my goal, though, because I don't want to see the looks of shock and horror when they hear such a high number!
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I weigh 183 right now which to me, when i realised this, seems like a lot as i have been in the low 170s before christmas. my work colleagues are a lot shorter than me and are losing weight too but they are starting at 11 stone and view themselves as hefty. I said i would like to lose a stone and see how i feel and was told i didn't need to, maybe half a stone.
    BUT.....i would never tell people i know how much i weigh and how much i would like to weigh because noone believes me or make comments about how heavy i am.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    And see, I like it when people find out how much I weigh and they're shocked. It makes me feel good. I don't want to look like I weigh as much as I do. :-)
  • Jenn152
    Jenn152 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    And see, I like it when people find out how much I weigh and they're shocked. It makes me feel good. I don't want to look like I weigh as much as I do. :-)

I feel this EXACT same way :O)
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    180 is my ultimate goal weight. I would look smokin' at 180!! 180 on a 6 footer can easily look like 140 on someone who is 5'4 or 150 on someone who is 5'6-7.

I'm just concentrating on getting below 200 for now.......

I told my bf how much I weighed (which, is more than him....) and he was sooooo shocked! He thought I was about 60lbs lighter than I was!!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

Yep, ditto. I'm 5' 10", and at 190 people would usually guess me at 140-150. I think when I finally get back to 180 I'll be smokin', but I've got a bit to go.
  • linzirussell
    linzirussell Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    LOVE this thread aha. im 5'10 and feel so heavy if i tell people my weight. im 166 now, aiming for 150 but here's me at about 169ish:

Meeeeeeeeeeeeee.jpg
  • OneLuckyRabbit
    OneLuckyRabbit Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean! My initial goal is 184 (top end of normal) and then I'll reassess and decide where I want to end up. I'm not telling most people my goal, though, because I don't want to see the looks of shock and horror when they hear such a high number!

*looks with shock and horror* O_o
  • Marley112586
    Marley112586 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I just got this today. I went to the Dr. and the nurse weighed me and started at 150. She nudged it a little. Then a little more. Did this a couple times til she moved it to the end. Then she had this look of amazement when she moved it to 200. I weighed 202(dressed and had just ate lunch :P). She didn't say anything but she looked dumbfounded. lol.
  • slamazon
    slamazon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am 6"1 and weigh 175 ... its my goal weight and the lowest I have weighed in my adult life. I too have been on receiving end of comments like "wow, you don't look like you weigh 175" .. blah, blah, blah ... I am immensely proud of my accomplishment and take every opportunity to remind those short people that I am vertically gifted. They are not.
  • paulcer
    paulcer Posts: 167 Member
    Options

I feel this EXACT same way :O)

This^
  • paulcer
    paulcer Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I love being in this group because I get to see other people with numbers that make sense to me.
  • LifeinDC
    LifeinDC Posts: 34
    Options
    I love being in this group because I get to see other people with numbers that make sense to me.

I agree, I've been reading along and this is my first post. I decided I had to lose weight when the scale was 198 at the doctor. I told my mother and she couldn't believe it (I've been the tall thin one to her and she's the "shorter needs to lose some" to me for a long time). Now I just brag to close friends about how much I've lost so which is 18 lbs from the doctor office day and the goal is currently 170 lbs. Clothes are getting looser, but as usual the first weight lost was in the chest. I also lose in big gaps it seems around my cycle, rather than my workouts. Perhaps because I am 47.

In any case, we all need to remember this is for us, not for how people "see" us.
  • sarahp86
    sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 17 stone (239lbs) and I'm 6ft tall. I have a friend who is around 5ft 3 and weighs in at 16st (225lbs) there's only 15lbs in the difference but I'm two dress sizes smaller because of my height. My goal weight is around 12 stone or 168lbs (I was here before) so I still have a good bit to go.

My shorter friend argued with me saying I should only lose another 1 or 2 stone because I don't look as fat as her and she even accused me of lying about my weight until I stepped on a scales in front of her. At which point she did a happy dance and declared "I'm so happy I'm not as fat as you"..... WTF??!!!
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm 180 right now and I feel so much better than I did at 200lbs, but I'm still not where I want to be.

What I get most is being told 'you can't lose that much weight!' when I said I want to lose twenty more pounds. When you're at 5'4, twenty pounds makes a much more dramatic difference than when you're 5'10 and the weight is distributed over all that height.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    'you hold your weight so well because you are tall' this said after finding out weight.........

HATE that comment
  • Ceffy
    Ceffy Posts: 235
    Options
    'you hold your weight so well because you are tall' this said after finding out weight.........

HATE that comment

also... "you're so lucky"

No, I'm overweight the same as any of you shorter people, and I know what I want to lose... how's that lucky?
    Seems to me that everyone's self perception is skewed and we're not necessarily as fat as we see ourselves.

Its taken me a long time to realise it doesn't matter what the scale says if I'm healthy, like my shape and feel good in clothes
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I've always enjoyed the "Wow, if I was your height I wouldn't have a weight problem" comment. Or "I'm not overweight, I'm undertall". Seriously, if I had a weight problem at 5'11, so would you and you would probably be even heavier because you'd think being tall made it so you couldn't be fat.
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    "But you're tall you can carry it." Absolutely hate, hate, hate, that comment!
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    Options

I love this too about this group, but I have read a lot of posts from tall women on here that have very low numbers as their goals. I realize there is a wide range of healthy weight based on your frame. I'm 5'9" and the bmi charts show my healthy range is 125-170. That is a huge range and I would imagine most people my height should be falling in that 150-155 range. Let's encourage a healthy viewpoint of what weights are good on tall women.