Great healthy treats that can curb the not-so-healthy treat

Options
Great healthy treats that can curb the not-so-healthy treat cravings!

We all know that cravings for all sort of unhealthy things, especially sweet ones, can quickly derail all our attempts at eating healthily and shedding the unwanted excess baggage on our bodies, so I thought I'd share two sweet treats that won't break the calorie bank and will leave you feeling you've have an indulgent treat - one is hot, the other is cold, and both involve bananas!

FOR CHOCOLATE CRAVINGS:
Baked chocolate banana - Dead simple this one. Slit open one seam of the banana skin and slice half way through the flesh with a sharp knife. Insert half a dozen chocolate buttons along this split, then close up the banana and wrap it in tin foil. Whack it in the oven for a while (or on the BBQ it works great with that too!) till the banana goes soft and gooey and the chocolate has melted. Scoop out the chocolatey banana and savour. Takes care of your chocolate craving without you having to demolish an entire bar!

FOR ICECREAM CRAVINGS:
Frozen banana - Even simpler than the last one. Peel the banana. Slice the banana. Pop the banana into a freezer-safe container with a lid. Pop the container into the freezer. That's all there is to it! When you fancy some, just pop some into a bowl and serve semi-frozen. The taste and texture is a bit like a banana flavoured mini milk ice lolly. This one is particularly great if you have a few bananas that are getting close to being over-ripe, as you can freeze them up and they keep longer.

If you try either of these, let me know what you thought of them and whether they managed to stave off those cravings!

And if you have any other healthy craving-busting treats you'd like to share, I'd love to give them a try! :)

18176012.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• WeCallThemDayWalkers
    WeCallThemDayWalkers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Those banana ideas are great!
  • DinahKyle
    DinahKyle Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Definately going to be pickinig up some banana's soon - frozen banana may be my new weakness!
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

Some more little treat recipes are.

Slice an apple up, melt 1 tbsp pb and 1tbsp dark chocolate cut up.
    Drizzle and enjoy. Comes out at 150 calories or less depending on what brands you use.

Frozen blueberries... Nuff said, they are super addictive haha!

Strawberries and coolwhip (around a hundred calories for one darn filling snack).

Cream of wheat and nutella makes for a sweet breaky combo (around 130 calories for a full bowl).
  • DinahKyle
    DinahKyle Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Cream of wheat and nutella makes for a sweet breaky combo (around 130 calories for a full bowl).

hmm - do you think that regular oatmeal would work for this one?
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I would put Nutella on anything, but love it best on strawberries! I love the chocolate banana idea...could even use a good quality sugar free chocolate and I bet you would never know the difference! Great ideas:)
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    hmm - do you think that regular oatmeal would work for this one?

I do not know... But chocolate chip oatmeal cookies taste quite delicious, so I would definitely give it a try!
  • ReignboMama
    Options
    One awesome treat that I found on Pinterest:

Chocolate-Banana “Ice Cream”

Freeze a banana, then combine with 2 tbsp cocoa powder and blend until smooth and creamy. Dairy-free, 110 calories. But most importantly: frigging delicious, because seriously dudes, bananas and chocolate were meant to be together <3

I also use a frozen banana with a spoonful of peanut butter & half a glass of milk for a morning smoothie..SO DELISH!
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I sliced a banana in half lengthways and spread it with reduced fat smooth peanut butter this morning and it was delish! Forgot how much I love that - hadn't done it since college! :)
  • namomma2
    namomma2 Posts: 5
    Options
    I take peanut butter and raw oats and mix them together then dip apples in it, it's like a little candy bar, LOVE IT!!!
  • veganpixie17
    Options
    I cut up a banana and fry it on a pan with a tablespoon of canola oil.

It tastes so good :love:

Also, I like to peel granny smith apples, cut them into slices and cover them with cinnamon and a teaspoon of natural sugar. Then, I put them in the oven for a few minutes. It tastes like apple pie. :smile: