Breastfeeding working mamas - R u out there?

Options
Hi! Im Justina. Im 30 and I work full time. I breastfeed my 7 1/2 month daughter Lillyan when I am with her (nights and weekends) Im trying to loose the last 12lbs of the 43 I gained from having her plus about 25 more. I wanna know what you think is a good calorie intake for loosing weight but still maintaining my milk supply. Im also on WW and its been great! Looking for friends in a similar situation.

Replies

• wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am not working, but I'm a full-time student. My baby is five months old, and I am EBF. I couldn't tell, but do you pump too? I do, and that's my least favorite part about breastfeeding!
  • JustinaSanchez
    Options
    I do pump but only to keep my milk supply going. When she in on she seems to get plenty of milk, but when I pump its only an ounce if Im lucky. I used to get 10 - 12 oz during the day, but about a month after returning to work it started decreasing when I pump. I was so sad because I didnt want to have to put her on formula but I came to terms with the fact that I had to while Im not with her. I BF as much as I can and pumping is a pain but I dont wanna dry up yet.
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I work but I am able to work from home. I have someone watch the kiddos for me so when I have to leave the house I can. My daughter is exclusively breast fed and I am having the same issue with pumping. I get an ounce or maybe three. I too have about 12 more pounds to go to get to my goal weight! Don't worry about combination feeding. She is still getting the good stuff from you. You should not feel guilty. You will have plenty of time for that as she gets older about other things ;-) I have been pumping two extra times during the day and that seems to be beefing up my supply but it comes in at night. So...now I stay up until 1130 to pump. Last night I got 5 ounces, I was so excited! But seriously, don't feel guilty. Have to do what works for YOU and baby!!!
  • Mindmovesbody
    Options
    My name is Celina by the way and I am 33, with three kids.
  • tararaem
    tararaem Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I work full time and have a 10 month old son who nurses 4 times during the day, twice at night, and I pump twice daily for when I am at work.

With my first child, I would pump almost an hour and only get a few ounces, this time around I have done a couple things differently and it has made a HUGE difference. First and foremost, I did not go on birth control pills. Noone told me that this could adversely affect my supply the first time around. Second, I got a much better pump, Avent double electric. Lastly, I drink Yogi Woman's Nursing Support tea. It is a 100% natural herbal tea supplement.

Early on, I tried doing weight watchers and it did affect my supply, but this time around with MFP I have not had any problems.

Good luck on your journey!
  • JustinaSanchez
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the good information! I see a few things I can do a little differently to help my supply. I just dont want to dry up. Thanks again! :D
  • sunnburst1984
    sunnburst1984 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Jenn! :)
    I'll be starting to work in a week and will be taking fenugreek and blessed thistle to keep my supply up! Only problem I'm having is, unlike my first, my second will not take the bottle as easily! I'm not sure what I'll do, but I'll be working up the street so if need be DF can bring the baby up for a feed haha! It's a family business so it's not a problem :) Any advice for a stubborn baby who prefers the boob?

I've lost 17 pounds since I've started MFP, and I just got the calorie intake right so I don't starve or see a drop in my supply! :) Oh and my LO is 4 months in a week!
  • JustinaSanchez
    Options
    Hi Jenn! My daughter was the same way. All she wanted was the boob, this first week was so hard. Twice she didnt eat all day while I was at work and the other days she creied and cried until about 1 or 2 she finally took a bottle from the sitter. I ended up having to not give her the boob for 2-3 days. Bottle only. she finally started getting used to a bottle. After that it was no problem, she would take both but always perfers the boob. Good luck!!!
  • Mindmovesbody
    Options
    Hi, I'm Jenn! :)
    I'll be starting to work in a week and will be taking fenugreek and blessed thistle to keep my supply up! Only problem I'm having is, unlike my first, my second will not take the bottle as easily! I'm not sure what I'll do, but I'll be working up the street so if need be DF can bring the baby up for a feed haha! It's a family business so it's not a problem :) Any advice for a stubborn baby who prefers the boob?

I've lost 17 pounds since I've started MFP, and I just got the calorie intake right so I don't starve or see a drop in my supply! :) Oh and my LO is 4 months in a week!

I have a complete boobyholic as well! My husband wants to pull all his hair out when I leave. She is not a fan of the bottle at all. He said he has to just keep squeezing the nipple in her mouth until she stops crying long enough to taste that it is actually mommys milk. She just took half a bottle for him Thursday night while I was out and she is 6 month now! Other than getting her to realize its still your milk, you could try feeding bottles during the day so it's mommy loving on her but she gets used to the plastic! My pediatrician suggested this. She sad nice breast feeding is established they won't get the 'nipple confusion' nor will they prefer bottle to boob. Good luck!