Exercises to get the hourglas figure

Options
ThaRealNicki
ThaRealNicki Posts: 328 Member
Hi Im new Ill introduce myself now, Im Nicki I have tons of weight to lose and would love an hour glass figure so Im super happu I found this group!

I wanted to talk about some ways to get this hourglass figure. When I was younger I read somewhere that certain foods help. I dont rmemeber these foods because I didnt really believe food could do it but now Im going to do some research to make sure

As far as exercising goes I would like to know opinions of the group members...I believe exercises where your crossing your body back and forth helps....does anyone else believe this? and what other exercises and tips do you guys believe in or have for this thread?

Replies

• ThaRealNicki
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/90790-flatten-stomach-hourglass-figure/

I found this not sure how accurate is im still doing some reaserch. so far Ive found out heavy ab workouts and pilaties is a no go....
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I've recently been using Camilla Dallerup's Dance Off the Inches DVD and she has a lot of moves that twist the body at the waist which is great for bringing in that waistline. :)
  • suitcasegatito
    suitcasegatito Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I recommend bike riding! Amazing for your butt and hips! Also push ups and bench presses are great for firming up your pecks.
  • coconutty420
    coconutty420 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Squats n lunges to keep a nice firm bubbley donkey booty! Can't have a flat booty! Lol
  • DinahKyle
    DinahKyle Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    LOTS of cardio of any sort will help shed the extra weight. Also toning your arms, shoulders and back.

Also I'm finding that http://blogilates.com/ has some good work outs - there are sheets you can print off and do at home - one sheet (I think it's called the corset workout) is AMAZING! Works on the SIDES of your stomach, pulling you IN for that hourglass figure...rather than the front like crunches (which flattens it out).
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Also I'm finding that http://blogilates.com/ has some good work outs - there are sheets you can print off and do at home - one sheet (I think it's called the corset workout) is AMAZING! Works on the SIDES of your stomach, pulling you IN for that hourglass figure...rather than the front like crunches (which flattens it out).

Wow- thanks for the great resource...definitely going to try some of those workouts :smile:
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about belly exercises to trim the waistline and keep the curve to it versus the square effect you get from all of the crunches. I'm going to checkout that site too, thanks for sharing!
  • ThaRealNicki
    Options
    Thank you for all the help ladies and I just favorited that site after taking my own little tour its great!!
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Options
    I was wondering about belly exercises to trim the waistline and keep the curve to it versus the square effect you get from all of the crunches. I'm going to checkout that site too, thanks for sharing!

Belly dancing! Loads of the moves are to do with shimmying, shaking and undulating, and the most desireable figure for a belly dancer is to have curves - including a slighly rounded belly - you have to have something to shake! ;)

I used to go to a weekly belly dance class and it was THE MOST FUN EVER! Unfortunately, I had to quit when I got pregnant and it's no longer running, or I'd be back there in the blink of an eye! You can get DVDs though, so I'm thinking of getting one and shimmying awa in the comfort of my own home. ;)
  • JourneyToADecade
    JourneyToADecade Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Belly dancing! Loads of the moves are to do with shimmying, shaking and undulating, and the most desireable figure for a belly dancer is to have curves - including a slighly rounded belly - you have to have something to shake! ;)

I used to go to a weekly belly dance class and it was THE MOST FUN EVER! Unfortunately, I had to quit when I got pregnant and it's no longer running, or I'd be back there in the blink of an eye! You can get DVDs though, so I'm thinking of getting one and shimmying awa in the comfort of my own home. ;)

Bellydancing is absolutley a great option... its an awesome full body workout that emphasizes keeping your curves :-)
  • MemphisMarly
    Options
    I've recently been using Camilla Dallerup's Dance Off the Inches DVD and she has a lot of moves that twist the body at the waist which is great for bringing in that waistline. :)
    Another exercise that is good for the same reason is working out with a weighted hula hoop. Mine is 4 pounds and ripple-shaped as opposed to just smooth. (You can find several different varieties on Amazon.)

By the way, I wasn't good at hula hooping as a kid, but I find the weighted hula hoop to be easy to keep up, so don't be discouraged if you've never been a hooper!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    LOTS of cardio of any sort will help shed the extra weight. Also toning your arms, shoulders and back.

I did one set of the corset workout yesterday. It kicked my butt. I have a new ab workout for the next few weeks. :)
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I just watched the corset workout... That looks completely do-able!! And less than 10 mins? What-what?? Lol Im doing that TONIGHT!!
  • jadedone
    Options
    I just watched the corset workout... That looks completely do-able!! And less than 10 mins? What-what?? Lol Im doing that TONIGHT!!

Feeling it in my lower abs, obliques and lower back. :) Just where I need it.
  • jadedone
    Options
    I have a mini progress update. I have always looked like a pear shape. Until today. I am actually looking like my shoulders are in proportion with my hips. I blame upper body weight training. They have totally caught up. I think there are 2 things that did the most: the lat pulldown machine and the compound seated row. I look just a little wider in the shoulders than I used to, and it made all the difference. (For the record, I actually haven't changed increased in the band size of my bra. I am smaller than I was when started and still shrinking. But I think the above bust measurement has changed slightly.. I think.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Very simple torso-twists (I hold a small hand weight in both hands to make the movement more controlled) seem to be doing a very good job of nipping in my waist a bit more - I do 70-100 twists first thing in the morning (also loosens my back muscles up when I get out of bed) - takes about 2-4 minutes!
  • DinahKyle
    DinahKyle Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    In regards to the Blogilates. My one issue is that the sheets say that 4 sheets should be about an hour of working out...I am managing to finish them in half an hour...when going slowly. I was worried that I wasn't doing them right - but I am on week 3 and I am DEFINATELY seeing a difference, even in my back - which was something I never really thought of, but DAMN I have a nice back now!
  • eatandexercise1
    eatandexercise1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I actually want a bigger booty; I got nothing there. Are squats and lunges a good way to add back there?
  • jadedone
    Options
    I actually want a bigger booty; I got nothing there. Are squats and lunges a good way to add back there?

Yup, and add dead lifts.
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Options
    Apparently Marilyn used 5lb weights and ate a high protein diet (oh, and she didn't like ot tan - she didn't think it was particularly healthy!).

http://glamournet.com/legends/Marilyn/monthly/shape1.html