How fast and how far?

Options
TDGee
TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
When cycling on a flat surface, what is your average speed? I am interested to see how fast and how far everyone is going on a regular ride. I seem to average 15mph for my 10-12 mile rides. Working my way up to longer distances and higher speeds.

Replies

• TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    In my case, I live in a portion of Illinois where it is really flat. I typically ride between 15 and 30 miles a day. My main challenge is still weight. As my weight has dropped, my average speed has gone up. If I'm riding by myself, without my kids or family, I will average 13 to 14 MPH. If winds are with me, I'll be faster. If they are against me, obviously, they drop.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I tend to ride around 15 mph on my daily 44 mile ride, which comes down to 13-14 average with the bumpy parts
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about rolling avg (as per my computer) or typical crusing speed, on a flat road with no stops?

Rolling avg is around 14.5 - 15mph (urban) or 16mph (rural)
    Typical cruising speed is around 17.5 - 19mph
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    My commute to work is 13.65 miles. I average anywhere between 17mph to 20mph on this journey.

My best time so far for this journey was:

Ride Time: 39:18
    Stopped Time: 0:29
    Distance: 13.65 miles
    Average: 20.83 mph
    Fastest Speed: 32.63 mph

My mile averages are as follows:

Mile 01 - Average 18.69 mph

Mile 02 - Average 26.69 mph

Mile 03 - Average 19.14 mph

Mile 04 - Average 21.97 mph

Mile 05 - Average 18.67 mph

Mile 06 - Average 18.95 mph

Mile 07 - Average 20.81 mph

Mile 08 - Average 23.55 mph

Mile 09 - Average 25.31 mph

Mile 10 - Average 22.29 mph

Mile 11 - Average 19.38 mph

Mile 12 - Average 21.60 mph

Mile 13 - Average 18.78 mph
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    My flat rides (which are hard to come by in Colorado) average about 15 for a 30-40 mile ride. I really would like to get that speed up to about 17.
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Flat?? I'm not sure I know what that is?!

I tend to average around 15mph but it is pretty lumpy around here, so I think on a properly flat road it would be up around the 17 mark.
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Just started to ride about a month ago and am way bigger than the average cyclist. Normal trip for me is about 15 miles, and I average 13 - 14mph over the entire trip on a hybrid.

When things are going smooth, no traffic and feeling pretty good, its more like 15 - 18 mph. My best sustained mile has been about 20mph.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Some impressive speeds being mentioned here. I must up my game! Perhaps the new bike I ordered Today will help ;-)
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Depends on a lot of things, what kind of bike are you riding? A skinny tyre road bike with drop bars will go a lot faster than a fat knobby tyred fully suspended MTB.

The other day I did a 100Km ride, all still within the confines of Tokyo :grumble: with lots of stop lights, and I managed a rolling avg of 22.4 Km/h which is about 14 MPH, when on the flats and we had some room to roll, the cruising speed was about 32-34 Km/h or about 20-21 MPH in a group of five riders. I know my very fit cycling buddies will hit higher speeds than that when they can really roll. An easy pace I find for myself on the flat is about 28 Km/h which is 17.3 MPH. Speed is something you gain with skill and fitness.

They say that it never gets easier, you just get faster! :bigsmile:
  • NiallWallace
    NiallWallace Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Even my flattest route has a couple of lung busting inclines, as Stu says, it doesn't get easier, you just get faster.

On that route I have done it at jsut short of 29kmh over 27.8km
    http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/NiallWallace/7hih72hfp2agqs2p

Todays ride was a wee bit longer... A wee bit hillier... and a wee bit slower...
    http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/NiallWallace/7t27bvi6si7dhjmb
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    On days when the wind is calm I'll average 17-18 mph and that's on a 20-25 mile ride. When I ride longer distances 40-60 miles I usually average about 15-16 mph. Just keep riding and speed and distance will come.