Eighty-seven calories? Really?

Options
Could the rewards for exercise be any more meager?

I burned a whopping 87 calories exercising today.

That is so disheartening! One forkfull of almost anything good to eat has more than 87 calories.

I'm pretty sure I absorb 87 calories just opening the refrigerator.

Eighty-seven calories. :mad:

Grrrrrr!!!!! :explode:

Replies

• lilbex88
    lilbex88 Posts: 3
    Options
    i only burned 99 today, but thats enough to have a nice areo hotchocolate
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I celebrate every extra calorie burned honestly. Even only 87. (What was it though?) Because I'm so lazy that even if I only burned 1 calorie its 1 more than I burned sitting on my butt.

I'm also a big believer in upping my NEAT instead of exercising. So I'll try to remain standing while watching TV or reading - just resist the urge to sit as long as possible - and try to stand up at every break and do something (Get water, go to the bathroom, hug a fat kitty).
  • elevatorguy925
    Options
    I would much rather not put the 87 calories in my mouth than trying to work it off. I have an active job and the last thing I want to do is excercise when I get home.
  • mikey3925
    mikey3925 Posts: 35
    Options
    My big 87 calories was from riding my bike 12 minutes. That's as long as I can manage at one time right now.

I have half a mind to try riding twice a day next week. Since this is my first week, I'm still easing into a routine. I'm trying to be sensible and not burn out on exercise before I even get started. I know I need to build my sessions up to 15 min, and I'm not even there yet.

What's NEAT? Never heard of that acronym.
  • mikey3925
    Options
    I would much rather not put the 87 calories in my mouth than trying to work it off. I have an active job and the last thing I want to do is excercise when I get home.

I totally agree with you, elevatorguy92!

I wish a person could burn calories by complaining. I'd be as skinny as a Supermodel! :glasses:
  • elevatorguy925
    Options
    I dusted off the bike last week after 35 years, I remember the seat being more comfortable and a lot easier to use, lol
    I rode for 50 min at about 13mph, haven't got back on it....
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    My big 87 calories was from riding my bike 12 minutes. That's as long as I can manage at one time right now.

I have half a mind to try riding twice a day next week. Since this is my first week, I'm still easing into a routine. I'm trying to be sensible and not burn out on exercise before I even get started. I know I need to build my sessions up to 15 min, and I'm not even there yet.

What's NEAT? Never heard of that acronym.

Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis. Stuff you do which is not exercise but burns calories. Cleaning, cooking, grocery shopping, walking to meetings, etc.

I basically think of it as :

Sitting < Standing < moving in place (shuffling, walking in place, whatever, I'm a twitchy gal) < walking somewhere < exercise

So the further I am upthe chain the more calories I burn total. And I may not be willing to exercise but I am usually willing to stand up for 10 minutes or do a 2 minute lap around my office, etc etc.
  • mikey3925
    Options

Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis. Stuff you do which is not exercise but burns calories. Cleaning, cooking, grocery shopping, walking to meetings, etc.

I basically think of it as :

Sitting < Standing < moving in place (shuffling, walking in place, whatever, I'm a twitchy gal) < walking somewhere < exercise

So the further I am upthe chain the more calories I burn total. And I may not be willing to exercise but I am usually willing to stand up for 10 minutes or do a 2 minute lap around my office, etc etc.

Very cool info, thanks for sharing!

I will definitely be using this! :happy:
  • Chinajane
    Chinajane Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Mikey, I agree with you that it can be disheartening how slowly the calories burned add up, but I just figured it out. I think 87 calories extra everyday would account for a nine pound loss in a year. I would be happy if I had losted nine pounds over the last year instead of having gained the fifteen or so that I have gained. I think I am going to try for the daily 87 calories rather than the 200 three times a week. I just can't contemplate more than that right now.
  • mikey3925
    Options
    Mikey, I agree with you that it can be disheartening how slowly the calories burned add up, but I just figured it out. I think 87 calories extra everyday would account for a nine pound loss in a year. I would be happy if I had losted nine pounds over the last year instead of having gained the fifteen or so that I have gained. I think I am going to try for the daily 87 calories rather than the 200 three times a week. I just can't contemplate more than that right now.

Wow, it never occurred to me that something as small as 87 calories could add up to a nine pound loss over the course of a year. That's actually quite encouraging. Thanks for sharing that!
  • NattyBrarian
    NattyBrarian Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My new favorite quote: "I wish a person could burn calories by complaining. I'd be as skinny as a Supermodel!"

And why isn't laughter in the list?? Oh, and neither is sex. Their definition of exercise sucks! :/
  • mikey3925
    Options
    LoL, Natty! Welcome to the group! :smile:

By the way, on another thread you asked what NEAT stood for. Tameko2 explained it in this thread.

The acronym was new to me, but I sort of knew the general principle. I really appreciate the way Tameko2 explained it, because now I try every day to make choices that burn more calories than I normally would. Even if it only amounts to a handful of calories, it better to burn them NEAT wise than through exercise.

Have I mentioned how much I hate exercise lately? So, so, so much. :smokin: