Oh how I hate exercising!

Options
It's not just that I hate exercising, I also resent that have to. If I thought for a minute that diet alone would ensure I met my fitness goals, I definitely wouldn't bother with exercise. It's obvious that diet and exercise combined will probably be the most effective approach, so I apparently have no choice.

My strategy is to find the least obnoxious form of exercise I can do. I chose bicycling because, 1. I already have a bike, and, 2. if I'm going to exercise, I want to be sitting down when I do it.

But even this relatively benign form of exercise irritates me. It doesn't matter that I know it is helping me realize my fitness goals, it's still irritating.

People always go on and on about how they feel energized and empowered and healthy after they exercise. I feel tired, irritated and, often, discouraged by how long it takes to make any noticeable progress.

Still, I'm not about to give it up. I know I will eventually build up some stamina and then the progress I make will be more apparent.

In the meantime, I'm hating it. I guess in a way it's a good thing I'm in such bad shape I can only ride for 10 or 12 minutes. The sooner I get off the bike, the better!

Replies

• tjsrs
    tjsrs Posts: 5
    Options
    Just so you know Mikey, I hate exercising, I have a recent hip replacement, tore something in my knee a month ago while out dancing, and have a 3 grinding cervical vertebrae - everything hurts on me all the time. But I'm with you - I know it gets better, or gets easier, and I'm sick of being embarrased by my rear end.
  • mikey3925
    mikey3925 Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks for chiming in, tjsrs!

I hope you have found a form of exercise that is easy on your joints!

Our ultimate goals are worthy, so we'll just have to put up with this exercise business.

But we won't be liking it! :grumble: LoL!

Good luck with your progress, friend! :smile:
  • cjlange66
    Options
    Your group caught my eye, and I knew I just had to join!!! I work out in the morning, hate it . . . Yawning on the treadmill. . . hate it. . . I even told the shoe-fitting chickee at In-step that I only run if someone is chasing me. I even have a recurring nightmare that my motorcycle turns into a pedal-bike when I'm going uphill.... Awful!!!

However, I've agreed to join my family and run the Warrior Dash in August, so I just gotta do it..

Thanks for making a place for me to vent! :)
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I hate exercising as well. I hate that I have to bust my *kitten* off and STILL look the same exact way i did 30 days ago. Sucks sucks sucks. Walking isn't even enough anymore. Now I have to add strength training, squats, and other things that I swear I'm doing wrong.

I NEVER feel happy after exercising. I always feel like I hate the world. Now Zumba is another story, but sadly it won't give me the body I so wish for.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    We have to do it - but we don't have to like it!

Actually once I'm out doing whatever I usually enjoy myself SOMEWHAT and I certainly like the results but given an equal choice between sitting on my butt and exercise, I'd sit on my butt if it didn't make me look so fat.
  • clairyfairy247
    clairyfairy247 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this. I struggle so much with dieting - I miss sugar, salt and grease!

But exercise I just find so much worse.

Wish there was something I could do to make me tolerate it but what can you do?

Trying to think of clever and witty comment but too busy sat on the computer dreaming about fries....
  • tameko2
    Options
    I'm with you on this. I struggle so much with dieting - I miss sugar, salt and grease!

But exercise I just find so much worse.

Wish there was something I could do to make me tolerate it but what can you do?

Trying to think of clever and witty comment but too busy sat on the computer dreaming about fries....

you don't have to give up sugar salt or grease entirely. You just can't have as much of it as often. its not so bad. I have fried food fairly often actually.
  • clairyfairy247
    Options
    Its mainly how much I eat - a lot ;)

If I could trust myself to know when to stop, then I would eat sugary, salty fried stuff but I just can't so I tend to avoid it!
  • tameko2
    Options
    yeah I have a few foods like that. Just can't have them around. Too dangerous. Although the MFP method of earning calories through exercise is pretty motivating, its the only thing that will make me do ANY cardio.
  • clairyfairy247
    Options
    I'm brand new (today) and me and exercise have issues, but I do love the motivation that if I do a killer workout, I can save up for some pizza :)

I've signed up to Zumba classes for 5 sessions so fingers crossed that will get me going!
  • Chinajane
    Chinajane Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Trying to have a good attitude about exercise, but nice to know there is a group where I can vent when I do have those negative moments. Sometimes you just need to whine a bit before you do what you know you need to do.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I hate exercising--but have found that I do really enjoy weight lifting. Why? Because I only force myself to do weights that I can do lying down. Because that's what my lazy butt wants to do. :)