Overweight vegan...an oxymoron?

Options
Does anyone ever get a funny look from people when you tell them that you're vegan even though you are obviously overweight? I've had this happen to me many times. It's usually a deer in head lights look followed by a complete head to toe scan of my body.

I've been overweight my entire life due to poor diet and my sedentary lifestyle. When I went vegan the only thing that changed was the brand of junk food I ate. I quickly found vegan substitutes for my favorite junk food and I actually put on 15lbs after giving up animal products. Now that I'm eating a balanced vegan diet the weight is beginning to come off. Go figure.

Replies

• darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Word. I get this all the time.

I especially like when you tell someone a vegan and then they ask "What do you eat?"

I point at myself and say, "Does it look like I have trouble finding something to eat?" Haha.

It's a way to diffuse the situation, but it doesn't make it better. ANYONE can be overweight. Luckily, we're here and we're working on it.
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I get it all the time... Less often now that I've lost 40 some pounds.
  • LucybellMocha
    Options
    People can be really rude. Not sure being overweight has everything to do with it. I've been vegan since January 13 of this year, and I get the "lookover" and the "deer-in-the-headlights" look when I announce my vegan lifestyle.

I was fit and lean before I went vegan (used to be obese 5 years ago), but people's reactions when I tell them I am vegan is sort of like, "So, then, what the ?*/:&$# do you eat, then? Do you starve yourself - is this vegan-eating thing an anorexia cover?". Its all over their faces.

So, after weeks of this, I've elected to no longer take their reactions as insulting, but understand that they are ignorantly poisoning their bodies with animal fats, as well as contributing to their unnecessary slaughter. They cannot fathom NOT consuming animal flesh or fats. They are like I was at one time, never taught anything other than you have to have meats and dairies to be healthy.

Honestly, it seems people don't know what to think if someone chooses NOT consume animal flesh or animal products of any kind. They, especially, don't seem to understand why someone would actually enjoy such a lifestyle.

Hang in there!
  • bilzprincess
    bilzprincess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I get a version of this. I've lost weight-- nearly 40 lbs over a very long time (a year and half or more), so I look pretty different to folks when they hvnt seen me in awhile. I don't tell people I've changed my vegetarianism of 23 yrs to a fully vegan lifestyle (thanks, other-poster, who gave me a word for the fullness of this journey). They knew me as a chubby vegetarian. But I don't want my hard-won weightloss to be written off as "oh! Vegan. That explains why ur thin now. A passing phase to lose weight", missing entirely how committed I am, and how hard weightloss is in a land of abundance--with a sweet tooth and a love of french fries. So it only comes up at my consignment store, where the lady took all my leather, silk, and wool clothing, and points out the newly-arrived pleather handbags. I'm treating how I eat as the "nobody's business" it always was. If someone truly knows me and cares about me, sure we'll chat on the topic. But others' plates aren't for me to judge. And mine isn't available for their judgement either. Evangelism in any front can be a defense-producing annoyance. Live your beliefs Let them ask when they see the peace that is wrought.
  • jenprettyinpink
    jenprettyinpink Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My teacher made a comment when he found out. He said, "you dont look vegan". I felt so self consious. It put a damper on my week. Since then I stopped eating fake cheese, butter, and chicken. I sure do miss those bocca chik'n nuggets. But I feel better now.
  • justplainoleanne
    justplainoleanne Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My family is not very supportive of my new diet style. The refrigerator is divided into their food and my food. They act like what I eat will hurt them. At dinner tonight I was eating tacos (the same as them only different). I was drinking water, but that is nothing new. My husband was pouring a pepsi. I said "you know, Pepsi is vegan" I got the deer in the headlight stare from him and then it was like he didn't want to drink it any more. I doubt I will ever win him or my son over, but hopefully in a few months I will no longer be an overweight vegan.
  • gpmonkey
    gpmonkey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Eating a plant-based diet is not that radical if you compare it to eating the Standard American Diet (SAD) and having to have radical procedures like open-heart surgery. I used to worry about my size and what people thought when I tell them I don't eat meat or dairy etc. And, since cutting out the vegan junk food I have lost over 20 lbs. I am 42 years old and I take no medication. I would rather prevent illness through my diet. If some day I need medication, at least I will know that I have done the best for my body.
    My mom has switched to a plant-based diet recently. After 10 weeks she lost 19lbs and says she does not crave the old foods. I used to think Vegans were nutty...well if they are I am nutty too :)
  • Stephanie198907
    Stephanie198907 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My teacher made a comment when he found out. He said, "you dont look vegan". I felt so self consious. It put a damper on my week. Since then I stopped eating fake cheese, butter, and chicken. I sure do miss those bocca chik'n nuggets. But I feel better now.

Aww, sorry your teacher is such a jerk, albeit an unintentional jerk. I miss those damn nuggets too! I loved dipping them in vegan ranch and having French fries on the side. Aaaaaah the memories!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    It's ads like this that contribute to the perception that being vegan means you are automatically thin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIzngoAUoNM&feature=share

The Veganist, The Kind Diet, PETA and now PCRM are all making it sound like going vegan is the road to effortless weight loss. I have even been told by vegans on FB that fat people who claim to be vegan aren't 'real vegans.' The implication: we sit at home covertly eating all sorts of non-vegan food and lie about being full-time vegans, since it's *impossible* to eat 100% vegan and be fat.
  • Jessi__
    Jessi__ Posts: 31
    Options
    Yeah. my response to "What do you eat???" is "Clearly, enough!"

Though for the past year I have absolutely been a junk-food-vegan, which is why my weight has stayed the same until recently, when I've started eating my BMR and making better choices :)
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Yeah. my response to "What do you eat???" is "Clearly, enough!"

LOVE this response! Now that I'm not so obviously overweight any more, I don't really get this response, but I have in the past. One guy in my kung fu school must have said to me like a million times, "Oh, I guess you must eat a lot of pasta." I didn't get overweight on pasta, it was a wicked sweet tooth and a totally unrealistic view of proper portion sizes!

And BTW, folks, you can eat a diet of nothing by potato chips and call yourself vegan ... right up until the heart attack kills you! ;-)
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Yep. Just a few days ago, I told someone that I'm vegan and I got a "Really? I have a friend who's vegan, and she's like super skinny."

Just another stereotype!
  • adamcrisis
    adamcrisis Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just tell people Im here to bash stereotypes
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I was watching a video the other day with a presentation from a formerly obese vegan. As he said, beer and chips are vegan, and that's what he lived on. It's less common to be overweight and a vegan, than overweight and omnivorous, but it's not unknown at all.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    How about a tan vegan, that always drops some jaws for some reason. Why is vegan always associated with someone pale?
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    How about a tan vegan, that always drops some jaws for some reason. Why is vegan always associated with someone pale?

So true!!

My husband told me that vegans/vegetarians are "obnoxious" :noway: I've recently converrted to v eganism and he's having a hard time accepting it.
  • Jessicaarceneaux
    Jessicaarceneaux Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I get a version of this. I've lost weight-- nearly 40 lbs over a very long time (a year and half or more), so I look pretty different to folks when they hvnt seen me in awhile. I don't tell people I've changed my vegetarianism of 23 yrs to a fully vegan lifestyle (thanks, other-poster, who gave me a word for the fullness of this journey). They knew me as a chubby vegetarian. But I don't want my hard-won weightloss to be written off as "oh! Vegan. That explains why ur thin now. A passing phase to lose weight", missing entirely how committed I am, and how hard weightloss is in a land of abundance--with a sweet tooth and a love of french fries. So it only comes up at my consignment store, where the lady took all my leather, silk, and wool clothing, and points out the newly-arrived pleather handbags. I'm treating how I eat as the "nobody's business" it always was. If someone truly knows me and cares about me, sure we'll chat on the topic. But others' plates aren't for me to judge. And mine isn't available for their judgement either. Evangelism in any front can be a defense-producing annoyance. Live your beliefs Let them ask when they see the peace that is wrought.

Well said!
  • DonnaSoszyn
    Options
    I always get "you probably need to eat meat to lose weight"...right, because everyone who eats meat is slim and healthy. I don't think I could say to a overweight meat eater..."so maybe you should stop eating meat".

My problem is that I love to cook and eat...healthy food too much...even too much of a good thing is not so great. So I love MFP...it really helps me see how the calories add up.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    no because vegan junk food is soooooo good. :smile:
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I've totally experienced this judgement for being an overweight vegan---ditto to what everyone said on here:
    the deer in the headlights stare, the full body scan, the unspoken assumption that i must "cheat" b/c how could i be a vegan yet remain overweight....