thoughts on metforim

Options
Letty_c
Letty_c Posts: 278 Member
Doctor believes it will help me especially since I'm at risk of becoming diabetic.... so I was wondering what everybody thought. Does it really bring up your energy level cause I could use that greatly.... and any problems with insurance do to it being a diabetic drug? He says hes pretty sure I have Pcos but hes going to do a ultrasound next week so well see what happens.....

Thanks!!!!

Replies

• brittlynn07
    brittlynn07 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Personally for me I couldn't do the metformin because it made me sick. But I did try Glumetza which is basically a brand name of metformin. It made me very lethargic so I'm not sure if it was because it was a brand name or what. It all depends on what your insurance is... The Glumetza was only $50 a month with my insurance which is Bluecross but the metformin was cheaper when I was taking that.
  • southernyankee716
    Options
    Metformin works great for me (I have PCOS). I don't know if it is the main cause for energy increase but I feel better when I take it because it helps my carb cravings. You shouldn't have any issues with insurance. Are you in the US? It may actually be cheaper to not use your insurance. I know it's on Walmart's $4 prescription coverage plan. So not using your insurance would cost you $4 or $12 depending on how many/long it's prescribed. That's much cheaper than what I pay on insurance.

Also- it does cause stomach issues in a lot of women. Cramping/ diarrhea/nausea. The cleaner you eat, the lighter the symptoms & the more sugar/carbs you eat the worse the symptoms (for me, anyway). You can take Imodium (check with your doctor first) to help alleviate diarrhea. It's not a miracle pill and it won't work over night. For me, it takes about 3 months of being in my system for me to finally start noticing an improvement. If you take it- stick with it at least that long. Some women quit taking it after just weeks because they don't like the symptoms. But the symptoms also go away. You just have to be persistent.
  • felisel
    felisel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    At first, I honeslty thought metformin cause my hair to fall out but after reading and getting myself informed and realize that metformin wasnt the cause. It did help me in losing couple of pounds last year
  • ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Metformin is my miracle drug and I swear by it. I am not insulin resistant, and I use it primarily for weight loss help. It made me sick the first few weeks, but not after that. I am not starving all the time, it makes me drink more water (a side effect can be dehydration). and I can lose weight so much more efficiently. I understand its not for everyone, but for me, I wouldn't be able to do anything without it!
  • likemascaraonprince
    Options
    Metformin works great for me. I'm not on it now because I'm nursing (it used to be approved for use during breastfeeding but the recommendations have changed) and I'm really struggling with my weight. When I first started taking it in 2007 I lost about 60 lbs over 7 months without changing how much I ate or excercised. Actually, that's not true. My doctor said I wasn't eating enough so I was eating more, exercising the same, and lost a ton of weight. I stopped losing weight because I got pregnant!! Which we thought would never happen!! The only times I ever had regular periods is when I'm using Metformin. They weren't even regular when I was in school.

The only thing I have to be careful about is not skipping meals. I am not insulin resistant and if I skip a meal, or eat too little, my blood sugar drops and makes me feel a little off. I get cranky. But I've not experienced anything that would considered a side effect.

Good luck!
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    My endo recently put me on it. I have pcos with insulin resistance. The first week or so, I had horrible indigestion, heart burn and nausea but if I took it with a meal, it wasn't so bad. I am on my 4th week, I take 500mg 3x per day. I feel so much better. The stomach issues have gone away, it helps with the carb cravings, etc. I don't know if it gives me more energy or if the increased energy levels are due to healthier eating BUT I am losing about 2lbs per week and I feel better than I have in a long time!!
  • Letty_c
    Letty_c Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody!!!!! Yet I'm still on the fence..... guess my thing is I dont want to be on a pill forever and I just had a lady tell me she cant go off it cause she blows up right away..... but with hows hard it is to lose weight maybe it will be worth it...
  • Racheldt87
    Racheldt87 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Question for users taking metformin. I have PCOS and have been taking spironolactone and birth control pills for it for several years. I workout about 4-5 times a week and count my carbs and calories. Even though I try to do good I still managed to gain 12 lbs in 2 months (and I'm only 5'1). My endo decided she wants me to try glucophage. I have read reviews online saying it gives some ppl diarrhea and others an increase in energy. My main concern is has anyone felt jittery or shakey from the energy increase? I am asking this because I am a dental hygienist and it is very important for me to have stable hands! Also I don't want to be w/ a patient and have a major urge to use the toilet (b/c I rarely have time to go to the bathroom at work)! Thank you all for your input
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Question for users taking metformin. I have PCOS and have been taking spironolactone and birth control pills for it for several years. I workout about 4-5 times a week and count my carbs and calories. Even though I try to do good I still managed to gain 12 lbs in 2 months (and I'm only 5'1). My endo decided she wants me to try glucophage. I have read reviews online saying it gives some ppl diarrhea and others an increase in energy. My main concern is has anyone felt jittery or shakey from the energy increase? I am asking this because I am a dental hygienist and it is very important for me to have stable hands! Also I don't want to be w/ a patient and have a major urge to use the toilet (b/c I rarely have time to go to the bathroom at work)! Thank you all for your input

It made me nauseous and I had bad heartburn when I first started taking it but I never had any other stomach upsets. Everyone responds differently but I know some ppl can't handle the stomach problems. If you tough it out, they will go away in a couple weeks. I don't notice an increase in energy. I take it at dinner then again at bedtime and I never have a problem with going to sleep or anything.
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options

I've been taking metformin for over ten years. I haven't noticed any sudden bursts of energy at all, although I wish! You do need to take it with food b/c it can cause an upset stomach. You'll notice any side effects within an hour or two. Try taking it over a weekend when you're not working. It's a very inexpensive medicine and works great.
  • BritskyB
    BritskyB Posts: 13
    Options
    I am also on Metformin, 500mg 1/day, though I'm considering seeing about upping the dose back to 2-3 /day as I used to be on. When I first started taking it, I had the same issues with the upset stomach, nausea and diarrhea, but it mostly has gone away with a few weeks of taking it. Unless, of course, I decide to try and eat/drink something that has many carbs or much sugar. It will definitely remind me that I shouldn't be eating those kinds of things and make me pay for it for a few hours. I have BC/BS as well, and it's on the $7 tier with my insurance and they have no issues with covering it. Also, I have to say, I've not noticed any huge bursts of energy with it, though I have more energy since I'm eating better, healthier, and staying active. Losing weight definitely gives me more energy.
  • FHerndon01
    Options
    I've taken Metformin twice. (I am insulin resistant). The first time I took it I wasn't as cautious about my diet and I suffered quite a bit from the side effects. I took it about a month and a half before I called it quits.

I am currently in week 3 since I started taking it again. I am eating much cleaner and I have noticed a considerable difference in the side effects. When combined with exercise and good eating my energy levels have shot through the roof. I think with all the factors combined have helped with the weight loss + energy.
  • annatin1018
    Options
    I just started back on it 3 days ago and I already feel better. I hope it helps me lose weight, bc I have been stuck for awhile now. Good luck to you.
  • Racheldt87
    Racheldt87 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for your input! I will wait til a weekend to try it and w/ food. Hopefully it works for me
  • annatin1018
    Options
    Update: I have been on metformin for a week now and I feel great. I haven't had any side effects at all, but I up my dosage next week. I have already lost 4 lbs. just this week. Before I started taking it, I had been stuck for 3 weeks with no loss. I hope this helps :))
  • Dedatress
    Dedatress Posts: 22
    Options
    This is soo incredibly true. Sometimes the symptoms can be pretty bad, others not at all. My doctor just upped my dose so now I'm getting symptoms over again, but it's soo worth it to me. I feel better when I take it, and I think it's a really good thing for people. And it is true, the cleaner you eat, the better the symptoms! :)
  • kday86
    kday86 Posts: 9
    Options
    Metformin works differently for everyone. I took it when I was trying to get pregnant. I have PCOS and the doctor said it would help me lose weight and help me get pregnant easier. I had to quit taking it after a month because it made me so sick every day, gave me migraines, and caused me to gain weight. But I know plenty of people that it has been successful for. Good luck!
  • camrynathel
    Options
    I love Metformin!! Its the only way I am able to get pregnant (currently 28 weeks along with baby #2), loose weight, have energy, and keep the dark skin patches and unwanted hair growth away (sorry, TMI). Also I have regular cycles only when I am on metformin (diagnosed with PCOS in 2008). It does work differently for everyone but I think its worth trying. My dr said that when I am on metformin, my chances for intrauterine cancer goes down significantly.
  • camrynathel
    Options
    Oh also, last year I lost almost 80 lbs while on metformin :)
  • annatin1018
    Options
    Oh also, last year I lost almost 80 lbs while on metformin :)

I love it too!!! I was palteaued at 286 for almost a month, lost over 10lbs in a week and half!! Also I hope it helps me get preggers one day!!