Welcome!!

Options

Replies

• jojospaghettio
    jojospaghettio Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yay! So glad to find other homeschooling mommies trying to get/stay fit! Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one trying to squeeze my fitness routines in the few hours I have to myself....and usually with a preschooler running circles around me. :)

I'm in NC and have 2 homeschooling boys - preschool and 3rd grade. Absolutely loving it - well, except for the days when I wonder if I'll have any hair left - HA! But I think we all have those days. :D
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I started homeschooling in 2000 when my kids (now 19 and 16) were elementary school aged. I started using recommendations in the 'Well-Trained Mind' by Susan Wise Bauer. My oldest was graduated last year from UConn with a degree in classical and ancient Mediterranean studies. He's now in law school. My daughter is finishing up her associate's degree at a nearby community college, and will be transferring to UConn this fall. At that point, I think I will be a retired homeschool mom--if there is such a thing!
  • blessedmomma16
    Options
    Hi, everyone. My name is Brandy. I'm 30 and moved to TN about 8 mths ago. I've been married for 6 years to my wonderful husband and we have a 5-year-old son and are trying for #2 currently. I just started on MFP a few days ago. It's a slow start, but I'm taking one day at a time. My husband and I decided when I was pregnant that we wanted to homeschool our son. At the time we were living in FL, which is where I grew up and went to school. And the stuff I remember from school, I don't want him to have to deal with that stuff or be influenced by certain things. We knew we wanted to homeschool him so we could instill in him our beliefs and allow him to have a relationship with Jesus. Which he would have never gotten at a public school. So he will start kindergarten this year. And I'm so glad that we moved to TN because they have great homeschooling laws. I will be using Home Life Academy ( A close friend of ours uses this with her 3 children.) I look forward to talking to all of you in the group and getting to know you.
    God Bless.
  • jaded082
    jaded082 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone!

I am Bethany, married for 11 yrs and mommy to a son age 6 and a daughter age 5. Currently living near Dallas, Tx . I have been homeschooling for the past two years (since pre-k). I was one of those people who said I WOULD NEVER HOMESCHOOL. lol! I was homeschooled for 3 or 4 years growing up and hated just about all of it. Luckily the way I am teaching is a lot different. So far I am loving it, and even though there is rough days, I absolutely love being the one to educate my kids. And I taught my own kids to read, what a great feeling of success that is for a mom who was scared to death to start out on the homeschool journey!

Ok, so a little about me. I am 5'2 and am currently 142 lbs. I started at 147 the last week of Dec '11. This is my second time to lose this same weight. I was at 145 after having my daughter 5 yrs ago, but over about a 6-8 month period got all the way down to 118 and kept it off for 3 years. But now here I am back in the 140's again. I am so ready to get it off and be healthy and feel good about my body again. I know what to do, I just haven't have the self control to keep the evening eating in check....Until now!

I am following Body for Life, like I did 3 years ago. So I work out 6 days a week. Weight train for 3 days, cardio for 3 days (alternating) All in my garage with our weights and a treadmill (yes, before the kids wake up in the morning). Then one free day off of exercise and diet on Saturdays. It is an amazing program! And I am already seeing big results. Even though I have only lost 5 lbs, that I am building muscle and can see my shape changing. Such a good feeling.

Looking forward to getting to know you all. I am a regular MFP user, and live by it like a Bible. lol. It has been so great for me thus far.
  • kellybell1110
    kellybell1110 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I love this group. It is nice to know that you aren't alone. I have been homeschooling since my daughter was in 3rd grade she is a sophomore this year. I also have a son that is in 2nd grade that has ADHD/ Aspergers and a 3yr old daughter. I was in the Air Force before I married and had plenty of time to work out, when I got married and started homeschooling (having babies) it dropped down on the priority list. I have tried every diet with minimal success. I read "made to crave" and figured it was time to do it the right way. Eat healthy, eat less and move more! I want my girls to have a better body image and not see me dieting anymore. I don't want to pass this on to them. My husband is still active duty and has never struggled with his weight and loves anything with sugar in it arrggghhh! I would like to get down to my AF weight of 145. I have done a 1/2 marathon recently and now training with a homeschool co op group to do a race in April (10 miles). I have a ways to go but I am going to enjoy the journey! I am looking for accountability partners and friends!
    Kelly
  • mlstevens
    mlstevens Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Michelle. This is my first year of homeschooling. I have two sons, 6 and 3. I am really excited about this group. I am always up for checking out how others homeschool and getting encouragement to stick with it. I have enjoyed homeschooling, but it has been an adjustment. I do know that it is what is best for my kids.

As far as weight loss goes, I am 6'2" and weigh 230. I started this week logging and exercising. My goal is 185. I have a ways to go, but have been encouraged how this week has gone so far. I can't wait to weigh in tomorrow to see if I have lost. I am an emotional eater and I am trying to change how I look at food. Trying to look at it as a fuel for my body and not a comfort or reward.

Good luck to all on your weight loss journey! We need to take care of ourselves to be the best for our kids.
  • LKissam
    LKissam Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hello, My name is Loretta I have been married for 12 years to a wonderful man and we have 4 beautiful children. This is my 2nd year homeschooling my children. I have a 10 yo/boy, 9yo/girl, 6yo/boy, and a 3yo/girl. It is quite a challange to be a wife, mom, teacher, maid, and everything else that goes with! lol Feel free to add me any of you I will be glad to support you through this journey of getting fit! :o)
  • enchantedeskape
    Options
    Hi everyone :)

I'm also really glad to find this group here!! I have found HS'ing groups on WL boards before...but they were never active. It's good to see an active one!

About me:

My name is Shannon. I'm 32 (for 2 more weeks), married, and I have 2 kids - a 12 yr old girl & a 7 yr old boy. We are on our 4th year of homeschooling. Although it is challenging, we LOVE it!

MY WL goals: I'm 5'11" (somewhere along the years, I lost an inch!) and I currently weigh 219 lbs. My highest weight in the past was 342, and I recently recommitted to losing weight when I gained back up to 240. I'm a runner now (I have a 1/2 marathon scheduled for Nov., a 10K in April, and my 2nd 5K in March).

My goal weight is somewhere around 170.

I look forward to getting to know everyone here!
  • MountainMamaMarissa
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm Marissa. I'm 40 years old, married to my high school sweetheart for almost 20 years (May is our anniversary), we have two kiddos - 17 year old daughter and a 12 year old son. This is our 4th year of homeschooling.

We use an eclectic mix of curriculum and are for the most part, a relaxed homeschool. We do have a schedule that we try to adhere to, but I feel that being relaxed means if something should happen that we need to change things around a bit, we are flexible to do so. We used Switched On Schoolhouse our first year and have tried a few other curriculums since. I am currently looking for a new math program for my struggling 12 year old. I am leaning towards Teaching Textbooks because of the step-by-step problems and answers it includes. I'd love to hear any stories about the math program that worked for your kids!

I found MFP back in December and have been here for about 40-45 days now (I think) I've lost 25 pounds so far. I set my first goal for a 60 pound loss. When I get there, I will re-evaluate where I am and figure out how much more I need to lose from there to be at a healthy, happy weight. I'm not worried so much with numbers or sizes as I am with being healthy and feeling good. When I started out, I had ballooned up and was wearing a size 20. I'm currently in a 16 but if I were a size 12 and healthy, I'd be fine with that.

It's very important for me to lose weight. I have had uncontrollable hypertension for many years now and was actually diagnosed with it when I was 17 years old. I come from heart attack, stroke, and diabetes genes on both sides of my family. I've had a list of health problems arrise in the past few years including being diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis, Gout and renal problems (from using the Atkins diet, my kidney's could not process all that protein)
    I fell off the top of my house 3 years ago while trying to stain the wood around the gutter; I messed my back up pretty badly. I have herniated disks in my neck and lower back that caused me give up on exercise. Not realizing that packing on all this extra weight was probably just as painful, if not more so than working out with my bad back.

My wake up call came when after Christmas, my heart started doing some crazy things. I was having irregular rythmns, flutterings, feeling like I was blacking out...
    this is when I decided that I had to make a change in my life and make it now. It's sad that many of us wait until something horrible happens before we are willing to change or even see the need to change. I'm living proof of that for sure.

I've yo-yo dieted since I had my daughter 17 years ago. I would lose 20, 40 and once even lost 70 pounds, but, I never did it the healthy way. Each time I gained it back, it seemed like I gained the weight I had lost, and more.

This time is different for me. After all these years, the light bulb finally came on about HOW to eat. It wasn't that I was eating horrible unhealthy foods always, I've been making subtle changes for years, like cutting out frying foods, a lot of processed foods, junk foods, cola's, ect. I've loved vegetables my whole life, but my problem was portion control. I'd sit down with enough food to feed 3 people and we all know that too much of a good thing turns into a bad thing, right? Not me. I honestly could not see this. I 'get' it now. I really do. I've learned that I can't judge the amount that' I'm serving myself and that it is absolutely necessary for me to measure everything I eat.

I am learning more every day and I am enjoying the process! I look forward to getting to know you all through this forum.
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say hello to all the new MFP Homeschool group friends! I am so excited to see just how many homeschoolers there are out there and the differences we all have, yet all aimed at the common goal of educating our children well! :heart:
  • freeindeed33
    Options
    Hi there all! I am so excited to find this group!! I am a homeschooling mom to three, 4th,2nd, and preschool!! I have been homeschooling for two and a half years..the first year was horrible mostly because I doubted myself...but no it is so wonderful! We just started a new curriculum and we all enjoy if very much! My stats are as follow =)

Name: Faith
    Married 10 years, with four kiddos (oldest doesn't live with us =(
    SW before MFP 210
    SW MFP 202.5
    CW 199
    GW ????? Don't know yet!!
    I really had no idea groups like this were around so this is very exciting!! I hope to get to know many here!
    Blessings,
    Faith
  • LakeFairy
    LakeFairy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I've never tried to lose weight seriously, much less with some one else. My daughter will be 13 soon and we've home schooled since Christmas break of kindergarten.

Name: FayeLynn
    Married since 1983
    weight today 174 ( most ever)
    weight goal 125ish?
  • letmysoulfly
    letmysoulfly Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'm so happy to find a group of homeschool moms here. This is also my first group to join! Looking for community and accountability. :)

My name is Tanya and I homeschool our three kids...kindergarten, 1st and 5th. We do a mix of unschooling/structured learning. The very basics...reading and math are more structured than the rest of our learning. This is our third year of homeschooling.

I am loving MFP. It has really helped me see not only how much I am eating, but what I am eating. You'd think I'd know that, but seeing it every day makes it a conscious decision. Finally starting to see results. I've been using MFP a few months. Since then I've halved my caloric intake. It's no wonder I couldn't lose weight before with the amount of calories I was consuming daily! Other changes I've noticed is that some of my strong cravings have subsided.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!
  • vicki81868
    vicki81868 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    So glad to see so many homeschooling moms on here!

My name is Vicki and we have nine children, from 22 to 3 years old. We live in San Diego, CA. We've been homeschooling 17 years. The first three are graduated, homeschooled all the way through. This year we have five school-aged kids: 10th, 9th, 5th, 3rd, and K. And a pre-schooler. I love homeschooling!

My weight loss story is centered around my 13 year old daughter, who I could not have come this far without. The story is detailed on my blog (www.busymomofnine.blogspot.com), the first entry entitled, "My Weight Loss Journey". In summary, though, she became my personal chef for the first 17 weeks of my weight loss journey. Literally. I did not cook anything for myself during that time. We made a deal: she'd cook and I could only eat what she gave me. While I do the cooking now, the first 35 pounds were all her.

I'm halfway to goal, which still puts me at 44 pounds to lose. But I'm excited to continue the journey! Great to have the support of likeminded people!

Have a great day!
  • stacey323
    Options
    My name is Stacey and I am a homeschool mom to one - I have had one graduate from homeschool in 2009 and my other son went to public school for the first time this year. I am homeschooling my daughter who is in 7th grade. I have homeschooled for 14 years.

I was a certified fitness trainer after highschool. I never had a problem with weight - until I went away to college and gained the dreaded freshman 15. (Now I was at 120) But it was after the birth of my first child that I really started having trouble. Somehow before I knew it I was up to 140. Wearing comfortable clothes around the house is not a good thing! I know what to do...it is the doing it that has been hard for me. We can fast forward 20 years, and here I am, struggling with the same thing I have struggled with for the last 20 years. I weigh 185 now...I am only 5 feet 2inches tall. I had always been very active. I was a cheerleader, captian of the Volleyball team. It has been hard to realize that I can not physically do as much anymore. I can't walk up two flights of stairs without huffing and puffing. I want to be active, to keep up with my husband and kids. To not be the biggest one of all my friends. I have done my fitness pal before- but it was on my phone and my phone kept messing up and everything kept being lost. Well, I am back at it again. I want to eat healthy, be active and enjoy life with my kids.
    I am very glad to find this group. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of it.
  • Melanie_Robinson
    Melanie_Robinson Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I am a 42 year old homeschool mom to 4 kiddos. I have been homeschooling now for 11 years. My oldest is 16 and the youngest is 3. :) I absolutely love homeschool. I have always been very eclectic in my approach and loved Charlotte Mason's approach. I have settled in with My Father's World for the last two years and love it!

I have struggled with my weight since before I had children. I can get real focused and have grandiose visions of how fit and healthy I am going to be and then a few weeks later I am sidetracked and totally off the wagon. I just want to do it before I get to old! :) I want to feel good and enjoy life!

Blessings!
    Melanie
  • Daphnemomof9
    Daphnemomof9 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hi! I don't know why I never looked for a homeschooling group on here. I'm Daphne and have been homeschooling a very long time. I've become very relaxed over the years. My nine kids range in age from 8 to 26, six are still at home. I usually lost the weight after each one, not as low as I could go but have found it more difficult to keep it off. I never had a system that I really knew how to keep track of what I ate and how many calories I burned. Well, this site has certainly educated me and I'm taking my kids along for the ride. Nice to meet you all!
  • katieacor
    katieacor Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hello Moms!
    It is so nice to find your group! It is so encouraging to read so many like-minded Moms talk about their lives and concerns. My husband and I have 3 little ones that we home educate. What a blessing they are to us!
    As far as health goes, I have been overweight and not very fit most of my life. God has changed the way I think recently and I am so glad He has! I started the C25K (Couch to 5K) program 4 weeks ago and really like it! Anyone else jogging? My SW was 155, CW is 150, and GW is 125.
    Happy Homeschooling to you all!
  • strangerthanfiction
    Options
    Hello all. I just started MFP .I am a full time SAHM with five kids ages 17 to 7months including one with special needs. We home school so I am pretty busy as you can guess. when I get a few seconds to spare I like to read, travel, bake, spend time with my family, crochet and volunteer at our church.
    My goal is to lose about 50 pounds by the end of the summer. I look forward to meeting other people:flowerforyou:

Starting weight on May 2, 2012 **171.4 lbs**

Goal weight is 120 pounds by October 2, 2012
  • saraiowaflybaby
    saraiowaflybaby Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I am homeschooling mom of 4 (20g, 17b, 15b, 12b) -- I have always homeschooled them.

I have also struggled with weight all my adult life. I am active in Boy Scouts as an Assistant Scoutmaster to 4 troops and have recently cut back on attending meetings for my 3 afterschool troops to focus on my health and weight. The Boy scouts have this great big push for leaders to meet weight requirements based on BMI so if I want to go to boy scout high adventure bases I have got to get my weight down.

My husband and I also long distance bicycling (you can look up RAGBRAI for an example of the type of rides we do) and spend time training to do these rides.

My favorite activities are cooking from scratch and with dutch ovens, hiking, swimming and camping.

As far as homeschooling goes, we are currently using "My Father's World" curriculum for all the boys with Saxon Math and Apologia Sciences (Intro geography, early American (7th), 9-12 high school). I have used a bunch of different curriculum over the last 17 years of homeschooling and really think that any curriculum works... if you work...but different ones are easier to use with different learning styles.

I hope we can support each other as we travel this weight loss journey.

Sara