Puregym what are your thoughts???

Options
Meloonie
Meloonie Posts: 144 Member
Has anyone been or is anyone currently a member of Puregym? Has anyone ever had a bad experience there or with the customer service?

Replies

• Alachofra15
    Alachofra15 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Bump this, because I've been thinking about it too!
  • Vickyloo
    Vickyloo Posts: 13
    Options
    I have a friend who goes. He thinks it's fab and I am pretty sure he wouldn't change. I go to my local council run gym, mostly because it is closer to where I live. I have mostly heard good things about Puregym though. :)
  • rachealb1972
    Options
    ive been for look round its very good has brilliant machines the only thing that put me off in the leicester one is parking rubbish i know the classes are good aswell plenty of them throughout day and night the leicester one is very close to university accomadation so very busy in early evening with students but good other than that
  • Meloonie
    Options
    To be honest, I joined a few weeks back and had a bit of a negative experience. Not with the gym as such but with one of the Personal Trainers. So I've cancelled my membership and am going through the complaints procedure, and wondered if anyone had a similar experience.

I dont want to affect your judgement at all so please do go and check it out. The gym I went to was fab, the equipment was great and easy to use, and the variety of classes were great too so please don't think I'm trying to put you off.

Good luck xx
  • shaybethxo
    shaybethxo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    i go to pure gym coventry and it's great. :) loads of machines, never have to wait, it's always clean etc. buttttt, the staff are very thin on the ground. luckily i prefer this because i hate when they come round and 'help', lol. but i should imagine if you ever needed one, they would be lovely. what happened to you if you don't mind me asking? :) x
  • Meloonie
    Options
    No I dont mind you asking at all, although its a bit long so bear with me!

I asked a personal trainer to do a fitness programme for me and a friend so he arranged to see us and basically he didnt ask any medical history, didnt do any body fat measurements, none of the paperwork he needed to do. Then he got us straight onto weight lifting equipment without warming up, even though I said shouldn't we warm up first, to which he replied, no I just need to see what you can do (which means I still hurt now over a week and a half later) , kept wondering off, talking to other people, answering his phone. He was quite funny to begin with, you know having a laugh, a few inuendos here and there and then he over stepped the mark when I said my hubby and I were trying for a baby, he said I'll get you pregnant - which I know was a joke and he meant through getting fit - and I laughed the first time he said it but he kept saying it so I told him it wasn't funny and he needed to stop now.

Anyway, after an hour of lifting weights, he then said we'd have to cut this session short and continue it tomorrow as one of his clients was here for a personal traiing session,and that he'd try and do it on the quiet here before one of his classes. We went to cool down on the treadmills for a bit, he was really sketchy about what he wanted to be paid as he was trying to get us to say we wanted him as a personal trainer which I cant afford and he knew this. When we were going, we agreed to only pay him half of what he asked for as we only got half of what we'd asked for. When we went to pay him he told us we could continue tomorrow but it would have to be at his house, I told him I didnt want to go to his house that I wanted to use the gym, and to make it clear I dont want him as a PT, as I'm very motivated and I know alot about nutrition as I used to run a slimming club and have lost 6 stone already and am now studying nutrition. He wasn't happy basically and when I said my hubby wouldnt like it, he started saying if my husband was jealous then he would begin to feel nervous and couldn't work with me etc etc.

Anyway, I was in agony for the next 4 days and my triceps and lats still kill me when I lift my arms, so I think he caused me to injure myself. I have cancelled my membership and am waiting to hear from the manager to see if my husband and I can get our money back as he now wont even enter the gym!

But please dont think I am saying never go to puregym or anything of the sort. I thought it was great I just got massively put off by the complete and utter unprofessional conduct by that PT and dont want to ever see him again.
  • lilyjay_
    lilyjay_ Posts: 86
    Options
    I go to Pure Gym in Bournemouth & love it. There are plenty of machines etc & some great classes included - the value for money is amazing! I also love the relaxed atmosphere, I prefer the way you let yourself in to having to stop at a reception desk etc, it just seems more relaxed & less opportunity to feel judged? Also the staff at mine all seem really friendly & helpful :)

I'd definitely recommend :) ... I'm moving next month & have to find a new gym, I'll miss Pure Gym!
  • lilyjay_
    lilyjay_ Posts: 86
    Options
    No I dont mind you asking at all, although its a bit long so bear with me!

I asked a personal trainer to do a fitness programme for me and a friend so he arranged to see us and basically he didnt ask any medical history, didnt do any body fat measurements, none of the paperwork he needed to do. Then he got us straight onto weight lifting equipment without warming up, even though I said shouldn't we warm up first, to which he replied, no I just need to see what you can do (which means I still hurt now over a week and a half later) , kept wondering off, talking to other people, answering his phone. He was quite funny to begin with, you know having a laugh, a few inuendos here and there and then he over stepped the mark when I said my hubby and I were trying for a baby, he said I'll get you pregnant - which I know was a joke and he meant through getting fit - and I laughed the first time he said it but he kept saying it so I told him it wasn't funny and he needed to stop now.

Anyway, after an hour of lifting weights, he then said we'd have to cut this session short and continue it tomorrow as one of his clients was here for a personal traiing session,and that he'd try and do it on the quiet here before one of his classes. We went to cool down on the treadmills for a bit, he was really sketchy about what he wanted to be paid as he was trying to get us to say we wanted him as a personal trainer which I cant afford and he knew this. When we were going, we agreed to only pay him half of what he asked for as we only got half of what we'd asked for. When we went to pay him he told us we could continue tomorrow but it would have to be at his house, I told him I didnt want to go to his house that I wanted to use the gym, and to make it clear I dont want him as a PT, as I'm very motivated and I know alot about nutrition as I used to run a slimming club and have lost 6 stone already and am now studying nutrition. He wasn't happy basically and when I said my hubby wouldnt like it, he started saying if my husband was jealous then he would begin to feel nervous and couldn't work with me etc etc.

Anyway, I was in agony for the next 4 days and my triceps and lats still kill me when I lift my arms, so I think he caused me to injure myself. I have cancelled my membership and am waiting to hear from the manager to see if my husband and I can get our money back as he now wont even enter the gym!

But please dont think I am saying never go to puregym or anything of the sort. I thought it was great I just got massively put off by the complete and utter unprofessional conduct by that PT and dont want to ever see him again.

Wow that's awful! What an idiot :/ what Pure Gym was this out of interest?
  • Meloonie
    Options
    It was Southampton.
  • sassika
    sassika Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    There was a personal trainer in the Southampton one that was a con man, an older guy, that gone to jail. He set up his own business and ripped people off, I think. It was in the Echo 2 weeks back.

My husband is a member, in the Southampton one and he is very happy with it. He knows about fitness as he used to be a PTI in the army and he said some of the PT sessions look quite good as well as the classes. You might been unlucky with your PT. x
  • Meloonie
    Options
    Wow I didnt know that! I think I did just get a bad one to be honest. I'm sure there are loads of great trainers there.