Make-Up Must Haves?

Options
_Khaleesi_
_Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
...And application tips for total n00bs.

Help a sister out. I want to get into the make up world and I really only have the basics. I don't even wear foundation lol

Replies

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    must have: good brushes ;)
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I must have black eyeliner and black mascara! I can probably walk out of the house without anything else, but those are a must for me.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    I must have: NYC Waterproof eyeliner (preferably in black): these are pencils with great staying power but easy to apply

Mascara (one of my favorites is Wet n Wild's Clinical Mascara...good stuff, and cheap!)

Light pink lip gloss (I'm not a fan of lipstick)
  • TheseNewDays
    Options
    I'm a slight make-up addict, don't leave the house without it on :)
    If you want the au'natural look, go for a liquid concealer to hide dark eye circles and any pimples/blemishes, a liquid foundation with a small amount of loose face powder over the top to make your skin nice and matte, a soft blush to bring out your cheeks and black or brown mascara.
    Personally I like the slightly more obvious make-up look, I use a liquid concealer around my eyes, followed by a liquid foundation over the rest of my face, then apply a pressed face powder followed by some nice bright blusher. For the eyes, I use a "primer" so my eye makeup doesn't slide duing the day with a beige or almost skin pink glistening eyesadow on my top lid. Then I use black liquid eyeliner on my top lid with lashings of black lengthening mascara :)
  • macpatti
    Options
    Forgot to add that my eyeliner and mascara must be waterproof!
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    I'm a slight make-up addict, don't leave the house without it on :)
    If you want the au'natural look, go for a liquid concealer to hide dark eye circles and any pimples/blemishes, a liquid foundation with a small amount of loose face powder over the top to make your skin nice and matte, a soft blush to bring out your cheeks and black or brown mascara.
    Personally I like the slightly more obvious make-up look, I use a liquid concealer around my eyes, followed by a liquid foundation over the rest of my face, then apply a pressed face powder followed by some nice bright blusher. For the eyes, I use a "primer" so my eye makeup doesn't slide duing the day with a beige or almost skin pink glistening eyesadow on my top lid. Then I use black liquid eyeliner on my top lid with lashings of black lengthening mascara :)

exactly!
    suggestions for a newbie:

eye primer from Victoria's secret about $6 (high end ones will cost u about $18+)
    eye shadow - wetn wild triios or 8pan pallettes about $3 - $5 very good quality and colors
    eyeliner - wet n wild liquid liner mega liner or if this is too hard and u want to use pencil liner try the l'oreal or maybelline lines
    eyebrow pencils if u need to fill them - i like almay and maybelline
    lipsticks - i dont use a whole lot , i rather lip gloss but rimmel lipsticks are good and inexpensive
    lipgloss - milani, revlon
    mascara - hmm i've only like MB colossal, MB falsies, and starting to get into Revlon grow luscious

hope that helps.
  • galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do - don't cheap out on Foundation.

I've bought nearly every brand of drugstore foundation and it just doesn't compare.
  • nolachick
    Options
    hmmm i must disagree, i actually am currently on my 3rd pot of maybelline dream matte mousse foundation and I love it. i always get compliments even from the sales ladies at sephora, estee lauder, mac, etc, haha if they only knew! :p
  • macpatti
    Options
    hmmm i must disagree, i actually am currently on my 3rd pot of maybelline dream matte mousse foundation and I love it. i always get compliments even from the sales ladies at sephora, estee lauder, mac, etc, haha if they only knew! :p

You're lucky~ you probably have amazing skin! I have freckles, and I've had some basal cell carcinoma removed from my face, so my skin is uneven and blotchy. I also have some fine lines appearing. I've never found a cheap foundation that will give me the coverage/smoothness that I need. The more expensive ones do the trick for me. But that's just me.
  • nolachick
    Options
    yeah my skin is pretty easy to work with. i just need something to even me out, no scars or acne blemishes etc. its usually combination skin but i'm feeling its getting pretty dry at the moment with winter.
    and ur right EL double wear foundation is pretty good. i got a sample recently and i likey
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Urban Decay's Primer Potion is a must for eyeshadow! You won't get that dreaded crease... especially night time eyeshadow!!!
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Urban Decay's Primer Potion is a must for eyeshadow! You won't get that dreaded crease... especially night time eyeshadow!!!

I've been meaning to try this. When I was a teenager and had better skin, my eye shadow was flawless, never creased, stayed in place, didn't fade, etc. Now that I'm older and I've started wearing it again, I'm noticing it's not looking as great. :laugh: After Christmas, I plan on treating myself to UD's primer potion, since I've heard good things about their brand!

For me, my must-haves are black eyeliner, black mascara, and silver eye shadow. For the eyeliner, I absolutely LOVE Urban Decay's "Ink For Your Eyes" I believe it was called? They stopped selling it in stores here, and whenever I try to order from UD's website or any other retailer, they never seem to have black in stock. I bought Tarte's clay pot eyeliner last week, and I love it! Definitely took some getting used to to apply, but I really like it. I'm not a fan of eyeliner pencils, whether they're self-sharpening or the ones you have to sharpen. I prefer using a brush to apply it. Mascara, I'm not TOO terribly picky on, since I already have long eyelashes, I usually save mascara for special occasions (aka: get to get all dolled up, haha!), but I really like every Maybelline mascara I've ever used. I just don't use it enough to pay for the higher-end ones. Silver eye shadow, I really like, since a good glittery silver goes with almost everything, and just adds a little sparkle. :smile: Which reminds me...I'm out of it! And I cannot find a good one anywhere anymore.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My must have is not a makeup at all...Mary Kay's eye makeup remover. I cannot live without the stuff.
  • capaxinfiniti
    capaxinfiniti Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Another tip!

When you remove your make up, make sure you wipe upwards and don't pull at the skin! It causes premature sagging!

And if you like looking at videos to learn how to put on make up, I suggest looking up TheMakeupChair

She gives really great beginner videos and shows you what are the best beginner products :) And she's always willing to do a specific video if you ask her!
  • carolanne84
    carolanne84 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Normally I am on a budget with my makeup but some times I get to splurge on some of my faves from Sephora. My must have is black eyeliner normally covergirl and black mascara normally covergirl but I have been trying a few other brands. I love lipgloss in all shades of pink or berry not much on lipstick but I have been trying to incorporate it more. A few of the foundations I use are the maybelline dream matt moose or covergirl natureluxe. I am a huge fan of different colored eye shadows I have too many brands to name if i see a color I like I grab it. For a more pronounced color on the eye use a primer first. There are a ton of how to videos on youtube if you are looking for different styles.