Do you have a life?

Options
JayTee146
JayTee146 Posts: 218 Member
Before I had a child, I worked with several women who did nothing but discuss their child.. I mean I pretty much knew when the child had a BM because it was celebrated by their mother. Now that I've given birth I can totally understand. The only adult conversation I have are with my co workers.... and they would swear I am on something because I'm so excited to have HUMAN interaction.... not that my lo's coo's and smiles don't make me melt like butter. It's just nice to be able to hold a conversation with someone that totally understands.:blushing:

I actually scheduled to have a weekend day out for the first time since my lo has been born (she now six months) with my best friend and his other friends I went on and on for months however the plan fell through and I'm once again sitting at home waiting on lo to wake up so I can read to her or go grocery shopping (the highlight of our weekend)

I guess I'm saying... what do you guys do for fun? I feel sometimes like I'm about to go stir crazy! I think I'm going to make it a point to find a mothers' group that lo and I can go to because sitting in the house every weekend is fine when I'm tired however I'm craving some interaction with other people and babies.

Do you have a life outside of your lo's? W
What do you do for you?

And please don't tell me i'm the only one without a life! :ohwell:

Replies

• Ambyerok
    Ambyerok Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    No life here either!! xoxo its baby baby baby work.. lol
    I usually play games on my phone for fun or visit with friends (friends with children of course lol) we all try to conversate while we keep one eye on the kids lol but majority of my life is cleaning house work and baby.. I try to make it mandatory to have one night for myself each month :) still have my cold stone gift card from my feb 1st bday.... wonder how many calories i can comsume with one lick lol xoxoxo
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    And it probably won't change a whole lot either. I take care of mine like they were still little ones. I still talk about them to others, brag a little. They are part of you your creation, magic......................pure untainted life, untainted unconditional love when they look at you. Babies have the most beautiful eyes. I miss babies and toddlers that was the best time for me. I'll trade teen experiences for baby experiences for one week if you want, ha ha ha. I would rather change diapers in the middle of the night than worry about my daughter out on a prom date, lol. Take lots of pics, cuz ya can't get those times back.

Daddy
  • Kerri7897
    Kerri7897 Posts: 15
    Options
    nope I don't have a life....when I'm with my kids, I'm with my kids, when I'm not with my kids, I'm working...since being divorced, my married friends find me awkward to hang out with since I don't have a spouse anymore and I share custody with my ex....it's frustrating.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    Eventually my friends accepted me the way I am of course they quit trying to set me up with someone because I asked them to stop. I'm still the same Tim I was before just not married and they don't feel threatened by me because they know I'm not that type of person. I'm friends with couples not just the guys in the relationship if that makes sense. But as for a personal life, no I don't. Its really not a problem for me the only thing I'm missing is intimacy with another. I do miss it, someone to be with that wants to be with you and do things with and likes you just the way you are. Sorry nuff said starting to get down about it....Have a great day.
  • JayTee146
    JayTee146 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I ended up taking lo to a parade! We had a wonderful time... even though she stuck to me like glue the entire time. I hadn't noticed that she wasn't feeling well... now she has a little cold.

If she's well by saturday I'm taking her to get pictures with the easter bunny :glasses:
  • jendan6
    jendan6 Posts: 11
    Options
    I have found a group at church that does things when my x has the kids. My married friends found my new singleness awkward too. This group is great for me. They do active stuff, service, and book studies. They are divorced, separated, married, etc. Just a nice group. When the kids are with me, we school, clean, play. It gets easier to do things when they get older. BUT, Zillow, I'm with you - I'd trade teenage days for the little ones any day! The physical work is much easier than the emotional. Jay, how about a church or MOPS group?
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    I looked at the pros and cons and weighed out the situation. One side is me and the kids together all the time or me and the kids and another adult and maybe their kids too. I chose just me and the kids and gave up my personal life. I am happy with that choice, we have fun, we laugh. Now for some reason love finds me I won't push it away, but right now I'm not going out searching for it. Best job in the world for me is full time daddy, highest salary in the world is all called all the love I need from my two kids. They fuel me to stay strong for them. They are proud of me and I am of them. Money is tight because the x doesn't help any but I am cool with it. I just pretend she doesn't exist and that its up to me to make our little family survive. This is why I am here, this is my life. "Do you have a life?" Yes, this is it.
  • alexiaschulz
    alexiaschulz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    nope I don't have a life....when I'm with my kids, I'm with my kids, when I'm not with my kids, I'm working...since being divorced, my married friends find me awkward to hang out with since I don't have a spouse anymore and I share custody with my ex....it's frustrating.

Gosh that's tough... I moved and that helped me a lot because I connected with a group of people that were just my friends, but of course that may not be an option for you. But one thing you could do is try to connect with people you didn't know when you were married. Other moms are good because they understand when you have to hang up on them because your lo just threw up. One thing that has helped me a lot was to organize a supper group with a couple of families with kids the same age. We meet once a week, but if that's too much you could do once a moth or something. Here are the rules: whoever hosts does all the cooking and all the cleaning, nobody brings anything, and nobody helps with the kid-tastrophe at the end, they just leave. We have 4 families in our group, and I can't tell you how relieved I am to just be able to show up, eat, and go when I am not hosting, it totally makes my week.

Hang in there, the awkwardness will also lessen with time.

P.S. I also hire a babysitter once a week and go play in our community orchestra, that's my _ME_ time.
  • Kerri7897
    Kerri7897 Posts: 15
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions, I don't really have the opportunity to move since we share 50/50 custody and my oldest is in the local preschool. My ex and I live about 5 minutes from each other (though he doesn't exactly know where I live) and it makes exchanges easier. I did go on meetup and join a couple of groups, but honestly I haven't gotten around to getting to one, seems like there is always something going on. I am involved with the women's group at church, it's just awkward to have everyone talking about their spouse and I am the only single one....The most socializing I have is at work.
  • caroljae
    caroljae Posts: 10
    Options
    We (my son and I) are social butterflies. It gets better when they are older (he is 8). I go out and have girl time on weekends he is with his dad and then I get together with friends/family and all the kids on weekends he is home, even if it's just hanging out grilling. When they become involved in sports you meet people to socialize with also. We are big into church activities, lots of friendship opportunities there. I've been unable to fit 'dating' into my life - but I definitely have a 'life' :)

But like I said, you may have to wait until they are a little older and definitely take advantage of your 'child free weekends' to have some grown up time!
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Most women I've met are married and very involved with their couple friends, but I did find some social groups on Meetup.com and one in particular for single parents/moms so that was helpful. Now that my son is playing soccer that too has helped connect with adults and my son is able to be around his coach and another dad who helps so he's getting some "guy time" in, which is huge! It's a tricky balance. Exercise classes in any form are great because you're socializing and working to improve yourself so keeping you up and positive. I work from home so getting out of the house is so important!
  • HBL2012
    HBL2012 Posts: 31
    Options
    I just joined this group, im a 24yr single mum..
    I don't really have a life either.. lol, I agree with what your all saying, when im with my son im with him, when im not then it's not really me time because im busy with work, or housework or something..

I miss regular adult conversations :(
    I have also lost alot of friends since having my son, just drifting apart.. we try catch up still but i'm only 24 so when we do catch up they are telling me about drinking, holidays, roadtrips, boys etc lol and im like..yup.. Jake got a stomach bug and I re-watched prison break.. hmm.. not really anything in common with them now lol.
  • sweetfacephoto
    sweetfacephoto Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It will get easier as your baby gets older. I have a 5 year old and am just starting to regain an adult social life. I have gone out with the girls more in the past six months than I have in the years prior. Whether its going out dancing, concerts, comedy shows, a movie, or hanging at a friend's placing shooting the sh*ts. I don't really care as long as I can get out. It's really about once a month, but that is enough for me right now. I'm not the young whippersnapper I used to be. lol I usually go when it's her dad's weekend with her. And I am lucky that my family is close by an they offer to watch my mini for me.

Also, I am not one of those moms who is always talking about her kid(s). But then again, I've always been a very private person. I don't like to just divulge my business and that kind of extended to info about my mini. Hell I have some coworkers and acquaintances who still don't know I'm divorced. lol

Anyway, it will take some time and a good support system...but you can definitely get back to a life outside of your little one someday.
  • JadedSouls
    JadedSouls Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Until my son was old enough to stay home by himself, I didn't really have a social life. I wouldn't leave him with a babysitter unless it was family I trusted and I don't have that many living near me..

Now that he's 15, I'm gone all the time, even if it's just a few streets away visiting friends and playing Buzz Trivia and having a drink. I get to the farmer's market on Saturdays, hang out with friends in the evenings either going to movies, a pub for a beer, a sporting evening, bowling, going for walks, shopping, house parties, dinner parties, mini road trips. etc..

I have friends that used to do babysitting swaps - they'd each take turns babysitting the other's children to give each other a break once a week or every other week. Gave them a day or an evening to themselves to relax and have a breather. It was a nice set up they had going..
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I have a 3yr old son & a 19yr old son as well - he is away at college most of the year....Since having my 3yr old though I have NO life at all but it is partially my fault b/c when I do have a sitter on weekends (his father is deceased) I just need some 'Me' time & a breather....I am pretty used to it but it is starting to get to me b/c I get so hyper & talkative when I do have adult conversations b/c I get so excited I guess...lol...I am going to try to start socializing once I feel better about my body for one & once he is in pre-school next year as well...I am going to try to join a moms club they have here where I live...Just wanted to stop in & give a little info on me.... :)
  • marylynn85
    marylynn85 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Nope, I have no life. I have three children. The older two do go to their dads on the weekends but my youngest who is 2 stays with me (different father, doesnt want to see her.) So I spend all my time with children. Oddly enough Im ok with that though.
  • Dayna5K
    Dayna5K Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, social life???? Nah, that's for the childless people. In addition to working full-time I am also a part-time graduate student. I have no idea the next time I will spend time with only adults....maybe after graduation in 2 years? :)
  • MistyWeeks
    MistyWeeks Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been a single mom basically all of my daughter's life - her dad and I split when she was about 3 months (never married him, thankfully, since he'd been cheating on me for awhile). For quite awhile I felt like I was either at work or being a mom... I felt like I'd lost me. To regain myself I had to find something that I had an interest in....that something ended up being ghosts. =) I joined a group of paranormal investigators and spent a couple nights a month roaming around old buildings and cemeteries looking for the critters. I did that for about 4 years, met some awesome people all over the country.

When I was with my daughter I have tried to introduce her to different cultures and ideas. We've gone on vacations, cruises, to museums, Renaissance Festivals, parks, walking on trails, watching the stars, and working on memories that will last a lifetime. I helped coach her peewee baseball team, watched while she did gymnastics and volleyball, and cheered her on while she swam her heart out in the water.

It hasn't been until recently that I've actually been able to find true friends again. There are a couple of gals at work who've become my besties eventhough our worlds are very different. One of them doesn't have kids so she has the hardest time understanding the "mom" thing, but she'll get there. LOL!!

Like most of the other replies.... Yes, I have a life.... my daughter - my pride and joy, my heart.