Hooping: How the devil do you do it!?!

Options
I really enjoy mucking around with a hoop. I love doing weaves, transferring from hand to hand, spinning it on one leg, but I can't for the life of me keep it going around my waist! What's the big secret?

Replies

• canroadrunner
    canroadrunner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I can't do it because I have no waist. That might be the secret.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Actually, how do you do all of THAT???? XD
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Actually, how do you do all of THAT???? XD

That's all easy if you've done poi. >_o If you've got an okay grasp of your poi planes, it's very simple to transfer it to hoop, and the natural countering of the weight that you do in poi translates into the forces you need to keep the hoop going, too.

Can you keep it on your waist?
  • chesire78
    chesire78 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    the secret to waist hooping is not a secret at all and it nothing to do with the waist unless the hoop starts to drop. look up waist hooping on your tube there are 2 major positions one will be easier. stand with with foot in front of the other and rock your weight back and forth the transfers of weight is what pushes the hoop not your hips, it more your tummy muscles pushing out and pulling back as the weight changes from front to back. or stand with feet side to side apart and rock side to side. don't look down the hoop will tilt. it might only go around once or twice you have to learn space and time. i am not coordinated to do poi yet like someone said below but i can hoop. also make sure you are using an adult hoop not a kids hoop you buy in the store, the larger the hoop the slower it goes the more rotations you will get until you get a little better. the lighter hoops you also have to spin faster to keep up. once you get the weight transferring and are able to hoop you will start to move you feet and they tend to get closer giving the look that is on your hips doing all the work . Also never give up certain things in hooping will take you forever to learn and some will come easy i have a tough time with the weaves one hoop I'm fine trying to get both hands going different directions aaaa ( working on it lolol )
  • pedalynn
    pedalynn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If it starts to fall, squat a little and go faster. So many folks just stop moving when it starts to fall. Nope! Just go faster and lower and it will pick back up!
  • peace_frog21
    peace_frog21 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You may need a bigger hoop. What size is the hoop you're trying to waist hoop with? I've been hooping for two years and finally got my waist hoop size down to a good size for doing twin work too, but I started with a hoop that was 48" in diameter and still couldn't keep it up at the beginning!! Size matters :-)
  • victoriaDashTwenty
    Options
    It took about 5 months of trying and failing before I could waist hoop. Occasionally other people asked if they could try, and nearly all of them were instantly better than I was after months of trying. There's videos on Youtube and available commercially that will show you the proper stance (there's a couple, actually) but none of that ever did me any good until I could actually keep it in the air.

What finally helped me was rotating in the same direction as the hoop. It sounds more difficult, but it essentially gives you extra time to react to the hoop. The first motion that worked for me was moving my hips in a circular motion like I used to do in bellydance warm up exercises. That's not really how you're supposed to do it but once I was able to consistently keep it up for a few revolutions my body learned how to interact with the hoop. After that, the proper stance worked!

Good luck!
  • Gymnesia
    Gymnesia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I found some great how-to videos on Youtube.
    This one helped me most: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdJgTx0iFeE