Aerials: Which is your fave apparatus?

Options
I just had to pick my apparatus for my next term of classes, because the three-apparatus class is now at an inconvenient time. I really wanted to do lyra, but there's only one class, and it was already full, four weeks out! : ( Trapeze and tissu both have three classes a week. I wonder if that reflects popularity or just teacher availability...? Oh well. I went for trapeze.

What's your favourite? If you're not an aerialist, which would you most like to learn?

Pretty pictures:

Gazellesplit_w300.jpgAerialShowgirlsTissu2.jpgduo_02.jpg

Replies

• canroadrunner
    canroadrunner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Silks.
    I got huge bruises from the trapeze!
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have mad front balance bruises at the moment... >.< I am so bad at it. For everything else, though, I seem to bruise the first couple of times I try something, and then stuff toughens up or something and I'm fine.
  • cesplaisirs
    Options
    The one I think I'd like to learn most when I get back into it is the lyra, just because of the beautiful poses and it feels more stable than the trapeze to me ... but the silks are amazingly beautiful as well. I love all of it, really.
  • Chialupa
    Chialupa Posts: 2
    Options
    Tissu!

You actually used the picture of my teacher, Jessica!

I'd love to try Lyra, but honestly, I'd rather have fabric burns than the bruises you get from lyra and trapeze.
  • AerialEmma
    AerialEmma Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i do lyra, trapeze and silks. but prefer silks although i find it much more challenging. :-/
  • katja_sifaka
    katja_sifaka Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Used to do lyra and it's definitely my favourite. I think something about the circular apparatus suits shorter curvier bodies as well. I always felt like my lack of limb length made my silks and static trap poses less aesthetically pleasing. Lyra is also a good match with contortion if you like that. I preferred a smallish hoop with a long rope in a smooth casing so I could climd the rope and do tricks on that as well. A high lyra with silks suspended from the bottom is a fun combo as well. Really missing aerials now..I'm very foccused on dance now and a long way from having my upper body strength back though :(
  • Nikolah87
    Options
    So excited to see other circus folks on here :) My answer has to be cloud swing! Such a versatile piece to perform on - and much less painful than Corde Lisse or trapeze!
  • ohohraptor
    ohohraptor Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Definitely fabric! The steel apparatuses tore up my hands and I felt very unsteady on them. I feel more secure with the wraps of the fabric.
  • erbear117
    erbear117 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i love the lyra, but i do think it's the most painful!

interesting comment about the body forms... i am more on the long & thin side, and i've always thought that smaller people seem to look better in the lyra. so maybe a challenge, but i would love to learn how to develop movement that compliments my long lines, on any apparatus =)
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Old thread I know, but I'm new to MFP. Silks, definitely. I do like lyra and no longer get bruises, but I just don't find it as challenging. I like trying to remember wrap sequences in addition to the strength/flexibility requirements of tissu.
  • staceybridie
    Options
    I was absolutely useless at silks so have moved onto trapeze, which I love so much! I do pole fitness aswell but would love to have a go at aerial hoop one day :-)
  • SciFlyGal
    SciFlyGal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That is funny that people feel unsteady on the trapeze, cause I feel way more steady on it than the rope or silks!

I am taking a lyra and trapeze class and love both apparatus but I think I like trapeze best.
    Yes the bruises are bad, and it actually took me 4 months to toughen up the tops of my feet enough to do an ankle hang, ouch! But I just find it something to brag about, lol, and I have some mean calluses now on my hands and back of knees! lol