Beware....

Options
liezelcha
liezelcha Posts: 150 Member
I appear to be a thread killer...LOL :laugh:

I have a question. I still need to lose 30/40 lbs. Should I start trying to lift heavy now or wait until I get leaner? I currently, for cardio, do the JM30DS, Jackie Warner Xtreme Training and walking/jogging, alternating them.

I've asked this before with no response then I rmemebered that I joined this group the other day and was hoping someonw here could help me figure out how and when to get started. Thanks fo the help.

Replies

• GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by lift heavy? I am not really familiar with either the workouts you are doing but doesn't the 30DS involve weight training?

I think it is never a bad time to take up a weight training routine... building muscles is the best way to burn fat.
  • liezelcha
    Options
    Yes they are technically weight training dvds but I tend to feel like it is more of a cardio based workout. I can't do more than 5 lb weights and get through it I want to lift heavier weights but not sure how to get started on a good program.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that heavy weights with a low number of reps per set will build muscle mass.

The program I got from a trainer yesterday is for low weights, higher rep per set and very little rest between sets. The goal is to build strength, define muscle tone and help with my continued weight loss.

Note: My program lasts 12 weeks. I up the # of reps per set at week 6 and I can increase the weights per exercise after week 6 if any thing becomes easy to complete. Aside from that it is a 12 week program.

If you have the time & means. Check out a gym and see a trainer. The experience & help will be worth the $.

Best of luck!
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options

I have a question. I still need to lose 30/40 lbs. Should I start trying to lift heavy now or wait until I get leaner? I currently, for cardio, do the JM30DS, Jackie Warner Xtreme Training and walking/jogging, alternating them.

I've asked this before with no response then I rmemebered that I joined this group the other day and was hoping someonw here could help me figure out how and when to get started. Thanks fo the help.

I am not even close to my goal weight and I am finding that my body is canabolizing my muscle. So I am also starting to lift weights. I found a great book called the New Rules of Lifting they also have a book geared to woman. I am finding it a great place to start. I was lucky enough to have someone reply to my post and steer me in that direction and I am glad. The books full of info and a easy read.
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy now. The fat you need to lose will get back to getting lost once you build up muscle.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Yes they are technically weight training dvds but I tend to feel like it is more of a cardio based workout. I can't do more than 5 lb weights and get through it I want to lift heavier weights but not sure how to get started on a good program.

No reason you can't begin to incorporate a strength training program in to your routine..The way get started is slowly and to keep things simple. You will see any number of training routines at various places online ect..These are essentially cookie cutter training programs. Many of which don't take into consideration the individuals level of trainability..But that does not mean a program that is geared torwards an experienced lifter is completely useless even for a beginner..For example. Suppose it is a upper/lower program..You train upper and lower each 2x per week. Then they lay out a selection of exercises, sets, reps ect..The upper/lower training split may be fine for a beginner though the acual structure of the individual WO may not be. So you can take the upper/lower training split and modify the individual WO to suit your individual level of trainability..Strength training requires you to develop the skill to repeat an exercise correctly. For a beginner that should be the focus in my view and the emphasis should not be on strength development until the level of trainability and technique improve. Some exercises are more complex then others..In the initial stages of training I would keep the range of exercises very limited. Obviously having a qualified coach/trainer to help you in the initial stages of training would be very beneficial. But not everybody can go that route. There are numerous books/videos ect..available that can accomplish much of the same purpose if it is centered around your specific needs as a beginner. ( poster jakejacobsen above suggested a book that may suit you well and help you get started)

There are 3 parts of the training session. The first part is a warmup..I usually take about 15-20m to thoroughly prepare myself for the fundamental part..You can start off walking and then jogging. Or walking and alternately jogging..As I begin to warm up I include jump roping among other exercises..There are plenty of means to warm up. The 2nd part is as mentioned the fundamental part which is the workout. The 3rd part of the training session is to bring yourself back to the relatively quiet state..I do flexibility exercises/stretching for about 10-15m..
  • liezelcha
    Options
    Thanks everyone, you've given me some good feedback. I appreciate it.
  • Cathleenr
    Options

i would cut out some of the cardio and focus on strength training. if you can get to a gym that has some decent machines and free weights, the NROLW that jake mentioned is a great beginning program...lol someone stole my copy but was already into the second stage luckily. :/

one of the most critical aspects that i found when starting my routine was proper form. i didn't have a coach then, so my deadlifts suffered, even though i tried to watch in the mirror. i wished i would have had a partner.
    warm up stretching AND warm up weights is important, as is logging your sessions.

generally, at the beginning of your week you would want to start with the larger muscle groups such as the back and legs. go around and look at the machines that are vailable; hopefully they will tell you what body parts they target. you don't have to do ALL of them..pick 4 to start for the body part. if you start with the back, lat pulldowns, cable rows or the seated row, pull ups and DB (dumbbell) rows would give you an idea of what kind of weight you can start out with. On your first set, try for 12-15 repetitions at a weight that progressively feels heavier, so that on the last rep,you don't feel as though you could do more than one or two more. rest a minute (time it) and do another set of 10 with more weight, perhaps 5 pounds. rest another minute and do a third set of 6-8 with an increase in weight of at least 5 pounds,prefereably 10. this last set should really fatigue the targeted muscle group, but NOT cause pain or injury. rest a couple of minutes and move on to the next piece of equipment.
    if you record the sets and reps and the weights you use, you will be able to start off the next session with the mid set weight and work up to more.
    if you do a 3-day split, meaning you take 3 days to work all the muscle groups, you might work the back and chest on monday, legs and abs on wednesday and arms and shoulders on friday. cardio follows the strength session 2 or 3 days a week, 30 minutes a day and if your goal is to lose fat, increase the intensity level one week and the duration by 5 minutes the next week.

there are a lot of videos on bodyuilding.com that can show you proper form for the complex exercises like the deadlift and squat....if you incorporate those, start off with either no bar or an empty bar until you are able to feel how your body should be positioned before adding weight.
    i lost a week's worth of training because i rushed a heavy DL...was a tiny injury that HURT like hell. not permanent, thank goodness,but i learned my lesson.

your nutrition will change also, when you start building muscle, so make sure you take a look at that.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    google stronglifts 5 x 5. There's even a discussion on MFP. I'm hoping someone will start a group bc I don't have time to mod one myself.
  • kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Here's what the trainer told me at the gym, and I was in the same boat. Cardio 5-6 times a week for 60-90 mins and maybe some crunches in the mix. Well, in calculating a months worth of body fat % loss, the 15 pounds I had lost broke down as 8 pounds from fat and 7 pounds from muscle.
    Every pound of muscle in your body burns 50 calories a day. Fat burns none. In my loss of 7 pounds of muscle I had now reduced my calorie burning ability by 350 calories a day...so to continue losing weight I would have to drop that many calories from my already existing deficit. Eventually dropping to the point where I was eating nothing and losing nothing and had not strength, muscle, or energy....and crying about why the scale won't budge. We've all heard that a time or two around here haven't we?

Quite simply....MUSCLE=METABOLISM
    If you gain a pound of muscle you burn an extra 50 calories with no additional effort. If you gain 10 pounds of muscle, you burn 3500 calories a week, or a pound of fat AUTOMATICALLY each week. Heck, that's my fat goal right there is to lose at least a pound a week.

And in addition to that all, in order to gain muscle you eat more, you do way less exhausting cardio and your workouts take 1/2 the time. And on top of it all, 10 pounds of muscle takes up less than 3/4 of the space in volume as fat and is firmer, so the end result is that you will drop inches, drop clothing sizes, be tight, not to mention a fat calorie burning machine.

So, long story short, regardless of where you are in weight, now is definitely the right time to start strength training. Even if you don't GAIN muscle because you are still in a calorie deficit you will maintain what you have and burn more fat instead, making the inches come off quicker and preventing the plateaus that come from having to constantly reduce your calories to burn the same amount of fat.
  • odownz
    odownz Posts: 98
    Options
    I would also add...

Don't worry about the number on the dumb bells as much as you do these:

1. How's the intensity?

2. Is the weight challenging?

3. 6 - 12 reps, try to go to failure(where you can't lift another rep, but still stay within the 6-12 reps).

4. Legs you can do more if needed, 15 - 20 reps

But like the others have said, building muscle will help continue your weight loss and a nice side effect is more curves!

Just my opinion :-)
  • 2getgeorge
    2getgeorge Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    make sure you know proper form and technique before you go "heavy"
    if you go to a gym ask one of the personal trainers to show you how to use equipment properly. or use the web to find how-to's. bodybuilding.com has plenty of videos of exercises.
  • delmc1
    delmc1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    start lifting ,muscle burns fat .
    break your program into 3 days ,
    day 1 back ,shoulders,biceps
    day 2 chest ,triceps
    day 3 legs .
    do 4 sets 10-12 reps try to fail on last set
    leave cardio till weights finished to increase fat burn.
    also i would recomend increasing protein intake.a shake 30 mins before training or as soon as finished
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I'd also remove the weight loss goal and replace with "inches" off the waist
  • danielnoble
    Options
    I'd also remove the weight loss goal and replace with "inches" off the waist

I'd have to agree. I started my weight losses doing full body exercises like JM30DS. Since starting to lift weights I have stopped lossing weight but cm's are still being shredded of the waist line. I now have muscle definition in my upper body where it was rounded six months ago.

Lifting weights rocks.
  • Travelfixer
    Travelfixer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Download the JEFIT app. Gives lots of great info, routines etc